How's life in Hua Hin?

Chuckles78

Thank you.

i am happy for you. And i hope many others feel the same about Hua Hin. From my point of view it keeps them from traveling to the much more quieter, cheaper, scam free locations. Hua hin not that long ago was nothing more than a sleepy fishing village. As the Euros discovered it, it very rapidly went down hill. I won,t even spend one night there. Sadly just another paradise lost due to Lonely Planet, Travelfish.org and other sites that can care less about places as long as they are making a quick buck. Having said that, the Thais and many foreigners sold their souls and totally screwed the place up. You can have it.

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT ! Likely less foreigners will arrive. Hua Hin is a crap hole.

You're entitled to your opinion and there are probably others that live in Thailand that think the same. I like it for a holiday and I've met plenty of others that share my opinion.

Yes well a seaside destination a couple of hours drive from BKK was going to be a target just like Pattaya the other side of the bay. I only get a few weeks a year for holidays so it's good for me. I guess if I lived in Thailand permanently it wouldn't be ideal either. Hope you can continue life in your paradise for as long as possible.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://trybeforeyouown.webs.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411744682370576/ About Real Estate,

Hua-Hin info guide.

http://theitravelchannel.tv/episode-5-hua-hin/

Hin Lek Fai

For spectacular views over Hua Hin head up to Hin Lek Fai, just 3km west of town. The best time to visit is late evening when the sun is going down. You can take a car or bike to the top or walk it if youre feeling fit. The point has four or five separate look outs and is a popular spot with the locals. The big condos (Condo Chain, Springfield, VIP) also offer a good vantage point for views, just take the elevator to the highest floor!

Pala-U

This waterfall is about 60km west of Hua Hin, towards the mountain ridge that forms a natural border with Burma. The 11 tier waterfall is spectacular, especially in the rainy season. It is set in unspoilt rainforest that's teeming with birds, butterflies and all kinds of other wildlife. The third level offers a refreshing swimming hole after the short jungle trek. Admission is 200 baht for foreigners. You can get there by motorcycle but its a long drive, alternatively you can hire a car.

Hua Hin tourist information

Our new Hua Hin tourist information and Hua Hin banks pages give you all the information you need. If you're getting hungry take a look at our Hua Hin restaurants page.

Hua Hin Golf Holidays

If you're coming to Hua Hin to play golf then check our Hua Hin golf holiday and Hua Hin golf tours pages for details and links to our affiliate golf partners.

Hua Hin Fishing

Take a cruise around the beautiful coastline of Hua Hin with a Hua Hin sea cruise with Mermaid Cruises or the Siam Pearl or try Hua Hin fishing at a freshwater lake.

Hua Hin Map

We now have an area map of Hua Hin online, together with the first interactive Google Earth map that details the town in satellite images as well. A Hua Hin travel section contains the train and bus timetables.

The first interactive Google Earth map for Hua Hin is now complete and online. Take a look at the Hua Hin Map to find the Hua Hin attractions listed opposite.

Hua Hin Attractions Guide

Hua Hin beach and Beaches Local to Hua Hin

There are 5 local beaches accessible from Hua Hin town center so you have plenty of choice of where to catch those rays and take a swim in the Gulf of Thailand.

Cha-am beach is around 28 kilometers north of Hua Hin. The beach road is lined on one side with local vendors selling everything from seashells to grilled squid and on the other a row of trees, the beach and ocean. It is very quiet and relaxing during the week and gets busy at weekends with locals from the city enjoying themselves on the beach. You can have a blast on a jet ski, take a ride on a banana boat or simply relax in the shade of a tree by the ocean. Cha-am has retained its traditional ambience and popularity with locals and visitors.

Descriptions of beaches a little further afield can be read here : Hua Hin Beach

Hua Hin beach stretches some 7 kilometers from the town center to Khao Takiab. It has developed considerably, especially over the past 5 years, but you can still find quiet spots away from the main hotels. Tides are high from November to February which tend to make the beach feel more claustrophobic in the high season, but at other times of the year, when the tide is out, you'll feel that you have it to yourself. Its name (Hua Hin head stone) is derived from the rock formations that can be seen on the beach in front of the Sofitel Central Hotel. For those who are a little more adventurous, pony rides can be taken and for those simply wanting to relax there are plenty of deck chairs, sun loungers and beach umbrellas available for a small hourly charge.

Khao Takiab beach (chopstick hill) can be seen some 7 kilometers south of Hua Hin. The hill has a temple at the top and there are troops of monkeys that can be fed. For this reason it is also often referred to as Monkey Mountain. The beach at Khao Takiap is actually better behind the hill at Blue Wave where there are big expanses of beach and calm shallow waters ideal for children. Locals sometimes play football, volleyball and takraw on the wide flat sands of Khao Takiap beach. Green songtaews (twin benched pickup with a roof!) run frequently to Khao Takiab from town for 10 Baht, and a motorcycle taxi should cost no more than 150 Baht. More info can be found on the Khao Takiab Guide.

Suan Son is further south of town, approximately 15 kilometers. It is named after the numerous pine trees that fringe the beach. This is a popular spot for locals and youll be hard pushed to see other westerners. The beach is wide and uncluttered and the ocean clear and inviting.

Khao Tao has a beautiful, secluded little bay around 20 kilometers south of Hua Hin. Its deserted beach and delightful seaside restaurants make it a great venue for a day out of town where you can relax with good local food and a swim in the ocean. You can take the local bus to the signposted turn off Petchkasem Road, then get a motorcycle taxi or charter a tuk-tuk to take you all the way to the local beaches of Had Sai Yai and Had Sai Noi.

Khao Takiab

Take a green songtaew for 10 baht from town south to Khao Takiab (as mentioned above). The journey is around 7km and will take about 10 15 minutes. Youll pass through the village before stopping at the end of the road at Chopstick hill (Khao Takiab). Walk past the restaurant to the beach and youll see the standing Buddha of Khao Takiab, positioned to ward off evil spirits from the sea. You can climb the stairs to the temple complex at the top after making a small donation to the monks. The top will reward you with some spectacular views back across Hua Hin and to Cha-am (on a clear day). There is currently a lot of development occuring on Khao Takiab so youll need to find your way through the works to the temples. The hill is also known for its monkeys, or macaques, that live there. You can feed them but dont get too close and watch your belongings.

Animals

West of Hua Hin on the road to Pala-U is an elephant village where you can witness these pachyderms in their natural habitat and even go for a ride on one. A butterfly garden is located opposite Klaigungwon Palace, 3km north on town center.

A little known animal park can be found 10km north of Hua Hin. To get there, take Soi Huay Sai on the left about 1km after Palm Hills as you're traveling north. Continue on this soi for some 4km and the park is on your right. Entrance is free. You'll be able to see a number of deer, plenty of birds and monkeys, namely macaques, langurs and gibbons. Some are roaming free. There are decent spots to picnic, but bring your own supplies as there are no shops.

Temples

There are several temples in and around Hua Hin, the main being Wat Hua Hin in the center of town. This large complex is home to the many monks that can be seen collecting alms in the early morning. The temple at Bor Fai (Wat Bor Fai) has some impressive ponds teeming with catfish which you can feed after a small donation to the monks. It's located about 5km north of Hua Hin (turn left after the PTT station opposite Anantara Resort). There are also the previously mentioned temples at Khao Takiab and one or two out to the west of Hua Hin with some impressive Buddha statues.

Royal Palaces

The Kings Palace in Hua Hin Klaigungwon is now only accessible by invitation. However the residence of Rama VI to the north of Hua Hin is open to the general public. Well worth a look as it boasts some impressive gardens and beach pagodas. It has now been fully restored to its former glory and is the longest golden teak palace in the world.

Hua Hin Railway Station

The Thai Royal Family used to visit Hua Hin regularly by train, so the railway station is steeped in history. It's well worth while taking a look around and seeing The Royal Waiting Room and a fine example of an old steam locomotive. The station is situated at the top (Western) end of Damnoern Kasem Road.

Markets

Hua Hin boasts no shortage of local markets, the most popular one being the night market in the center of town. This opens daily from around 6pm till late and offers all manner of hawker food, some clothing, and a few tourist items such as wooden elephants, trinkets etc. This market is a little touristy and therefore prices are a bit higher that other local markets.

Chat Chai day market is just along from the night market and is mostly undercover. Here you can buy fruit, vegetables, fish, and meat at local prices. It has recently been through a total refurbishment and is no longer as dim and dingy as before. A visit is worth the experience to watch the locals go through their daily shopping routines. Join in as well, you'll enjoy it.

The weekend market at the Grand Hotel runs from Thursday to Sunday and offers something different again. Here you can shop for clothes, books, plants, toys, pets and tropical fish. This is another evening market starting at around 5pm.

In my opinion the best all round and probably the largest market in Hua hin is at Pae Mai on Tuesdays (across the railway next to the driving range). This one gets very busy and is extremely popular with the locals. Here you can get anything; fresh produce, clothing, motorcycle accessories, electrical appliances, tools, household items and much more. Its definitely worth a visit.

Hua Hin Market Village is the town's first major shopping mall. Situated some 2km south of the center on Petchkasem Road, it offers ample parking facilities and a good range of fashion outlets, food courts and smaller local shops and stalls. The big names there include Tesco Lotus, Home Pro, Boots, KFC and Starbucks. There is a bowling alley and Major Cineplex on the top floor. Not many films have English soundtracks.

Arts and Crafts

The Cicada Market (Community of Identity Culture Art and Dynamic Activities) has recently opened on the corner of Soi Moo Ban Nong Kae and Khao Takieb Hua Hin Road in Khao Takieb. Opening times are 3pm-11pm Fridays/Saturdays and 10am-9pm on Sundays. This colourful new addition to the local cultural scene features soft music, an artists' market, good food and drink and plenty of shopping.

Another recent addition to Hua Hin's vibrant arts scene is The Vic Hua Hin Art Complex and Victoria Theatre. Made up of an air conditioned theatre that can seat 320, seperate sections for performing arts, workshops, visual arts exhibitions, film screenings and mini market, this centre is a must to visit for those who wish to expand their artistic experiences of Hua Hin. It is situated a couple of kilometers south of the Khao Takieb flyover on Petchkasem Road, on your right hand side.

Another important location is Plearn Wan Eco Vintage Village. Found north of town on the left hand side of Petchkasem Road, just after the traffic lights at Klaikangwon Palace, this wooden complex is housed on two floors and offers a glimpse back into Hua Hin's past. You can shop for clothes, food and souvenirs while at the weekend there is an open air cinema. Weekends can get very busy with thousands of visitors. There is wheelchair access via an elevator.

Festivals

Hua Hin also has several festivals throughout the year. The Hua Hin International Kite Festival is held every two years in March when the winds are always favourable. In 2010, it was held over the weekend of 13-14th March. After 10 years, the event has become international with competitors coming from all over Thailand, Canada, New Zealand, China, France, India and Singapore. It's a colourful day out for the whole family and other acivities include shopping and eating - there are plenty of food stalls. It takes place at The Rama VI Army Camp just north of Hua Hin.

The annual Hua Hin Jazz Festival is usually held on the first week of June. It has grown rapidly over the years and is now a major international event in Thailand. It can get very crowded, so try to get their early to secure a good vantage point on the beach.

During the months of August and September, Hua Hin and Cha-Am host The Hua Hin Golf Festival. Every day during the month, green fees are heavily discounted - except for any Sunday when official tournaments are being held. Entrance to these is usually 1,200 Baht and there are always some great prizes up for grabs. Participating courses vary from year-to-year, so be sure to check first.

The Hua Hin Regatta also takes place at the end of July/August. In 2011, it was held over three days. It's a colourful spectacle with over 300 competitors taking part in a variety of classes. Spectating is free from the beach. Should you be interested in taking part, further details can be obtained from: The Yacht Racing Association of Thailand, Navy Headquarters, Building No. 5, Royal Thai Navy, Bangkok 10600. Tel: 02 4720852.

The Hua Hin Vintage Car Rally generally takes place in December when the weather is fine. There have been eight events so far and a fine array of motor vehicles make the 225km journey from Bangkok to Hua Hin on the first day. On the second, they parade around Hua Hin following a route that takes in Hua Hin Railway Station to Klaikangwon Palace and back again. Lovers of old cars will find the rally a delight to visit. There is always a fine selection of cars in pristine condition, including E-Type Jaguars, Mercedes, Alfa Romeos, Fiats and many more. The vehicles can be inspected outside the side entrance to The Sofitel Central Hotel on Damnoern Kasem Road.

In addition, there is also an annual food festival in November where local hotels set up stands offering their finest cuisine. Try different foods from South East Asia or just relax by the Singha Tent and take in the entertainment. Every year around April time a huge market is setup along Neabkehardt road offering all kinds of hawker foods, very good value clothing and even a funfare for the kids.

Please read the Hua Hin Events Forum for more on events and festivals in Hua Hin.

Fishing Pier

Most of the fishing fleet has been relocated further south to Paknampran and Prachuabkirikhan, nevertheless a few boats still dock there and it's interesting to see their daily catch. You can also sample some of this fine seafood at the local restaurants in the area. The immediate vicinity is actually the old fishing village that Hua Hin once was. The maze of narrow lanes, containing many of the original wooden houses, is a must for photographers.

Restaurants

There are a few must eats when in Hua Hin. Our recommended restaurants can be found on the Hua Hin restaurants page.

1) Issan food. There are several good Issan restaurants in Hua Hin. The best Laab can be had at a little place called "Saddam" near the 7-Eleven across the railway, opposite the right turn towards Pala-U.

2) Seafood. There are many seafood restaurants in town and we cant list them all, one that stands out is Chao Ley seafood at the end of Dechanuchit Rd. There are also a couple of places where you can catch you own shrimps.

3) Farang/western food. Hua Hin continues to attract ever increasing numbers of visitors, so it's little surprise that there is a great selection of western food on offer. Most of the restaurants are situated in the center of town which can be easily navigated by foot. Many of Hua Hin's western run bars offer extremely good "pub grub" and breakfasts.

4) Korean BBQ. This meal involves a circular barbeque where you cook your own chicken, pork, beef and seafood, Korean style. In Thai its called Moo gatar or moo yang gowlee. There are several moo gatar places north of town on Petchkasem Rd.

5) Thai food. There are hundreds of restaurants serving traditional Thai tucker. It would be impossible to even try and list some of better ones, so the best way to find your favourite is simply to experiment.

Have a read of the Hua Hin Restaurants Forum for more info on places to eat in Hua Hin.

Public Sports

If you want to swim or use the gym there are good facilities at Palm Hills Country Club (7km north) at 200 Baht per person to enjoy the pool and Sport Villa (3km south). Pool use here is 50 baht per person. In addition, some of the major hotels will allow you to use their pool facilities for a small fee, especially in the low season. Hua Hin Grand Sport has a well equipped free-style gym and martial arts training and fighting. Check out Hua Hin Sport for full details on sports and activities in Hua Hin.

Further afield

Khao Sam Roi Yot, Cha-am, Paknampran, Petchaburi, Kaengkrachan, Prachaub, Dolphin Bay and Phu Noi, Ban Krut, Bang Sapan and Chumphon.

http://huahin.tourdeasia.org/ Mountain bike tours

http://www.golfhuahin.com/

http://www.huahinfishing.com/home

http://www.kiteboardingasia.com/locations/hua-hin-central/

http://www.blackmountainwaterpark.com/attraction.php

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/map.h

Comprehensive & instructive post - well done & thank you - Piers

Even after all the good and bad advice and opinions, I will still likely end up

living in Hua Hin in a few years. I will start off by renting a furnished house for

a few years, like a friend of mine did, That way I can enjoy a few months per year at

350 to 400 dollars per month rent plus utilities. I may rent up toward Cha Am as well

for the next few years, as my Thai family seem to like it as compared to HH.

I am in my 60s now, so I do notice the 2 Bangkok Hospitals in Hua Hin, and that is a bit of a factor for me. HH may not be the peaceful place it was 10 or 20 years ago, but I still find

a lot about it that impresses me. Not sure where Jungle Jim lives, but almost anywhere in the world can feel worse than it did several years ago.

I am inclined to agree with MDS, Michealaway, ToneG, and HHFarang. I hope I can meet up with you all and have a few cool ones in the next year or so. And I have stayed at Sports Villafor a while, and I regard the Farangs that I met there, as interesting people who have come from all over the world, and not as a bunch of dumb guys and gals. As much as some of the streets have been in bad repair, and some places

have garbage issues, I am glad that some people like Big Boy, and others, try to

gather some of the garbage and refuse from the sea, and make the place feel like their home too. Manassas, I hope you come to Hua Hin and find the place to your liking.

It will not be the place I remember when I first stopped there in the 70s, but if you came

to where I live you would say the same thing.

Stargeezer

Good luck Stargrazer. Good idea to rent, if it's not the place for you, move on. Jungle Jim has found his paradise but living in the backwaters isn't for everyone. I usually holiday in HH in January and will be there again next Jan.

Best wishes ToneG

Edited by ToneG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess every place in the world changes with time. And not always for the better. But we have our place off the beaten track in a farm village up north.

Now I'm looking for a second home with access to hospitals, restaurants, recreation and the beach. I think of all the beach communities HH looks most suited to my interests and like Stargazer I will check it out. Sorry to hear it has a big bar scene, but that is everywhere and usually easy to avoid.

And ToneG thanks for the excellent advice. I think I will rent for a year before considering a purchase. Even if you love a community you can still be on the wrong side of town for things like traffic if you don't have local experience. Looking forward to the option of moving between two places to avoid the worst bits of weather.

Retirement is indeed great! Cheers