Any suggestion on a bank where I can easily set up an account for ATM and for retirement visa in BKK

I would like to open a bank account for a regular checking (ATM) account and also an account that would hold the required money for a retirement visa.

Any suggestions on a reliable bank in BKK near Sukumivit AsoK where this is easy to do. I am looking for a bank where they have someone who can speak English.

Also what type of account should I open to deposit money for the retirement visa?

Thanks,

A checking account would be very difficult to get and would not be accepted by immigration.

You will want to open a savings account.

You will just need to try different banks and branches to get your account open.

Perhaps somebody will come along that is familiar with the area mentioned to suggest one.

A checking account would be very difficult to get and would not be accepted by immigration.

You will just need to try different banks and branches to get your account open.

Perhaps somebody will come along that is familiar with the area mentioned to suggest one.

Thanks.

I would like the two accounts. I was hoping for one that I could get with an ATM card but you are saying "a checking account would be difficult to get". Does that mean many members here don't have checking accounts?

There's a Citibank right at that location. I wonder if any members have experiences with Citibank for setting up accounts.

Thanks.

I would like the two accounts. I was hoping for one that I could get with an ATM card but you are saying "a checking account would be difficult to get". Does that mean many members here don't have checking accounts?

There's a Citibank right at that location. I wonder if any members have experiences with Citibank for setting up accounts.

Very few people here have checking accounts,

You can get a ATM/Debit card and online banking with a savings account.

• Like 1

Thanks.

"I was hoping for one that I could get with an ATM card but you are saying "a checking account would be difficult to get".

The ATM card has nothing to do with getting a checking account. Virtually no one writes or accepts checks here. ATM card is normally given with a savings account.

Since you refer to a "checking account" I assume you're probably American. If you open an account at a Bangkok Bank Branch it may prove the most convenient because Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York to which you can do domestic transfers (no need for an International transfer) from an American bank in dollars, using the account number you have in Thailand. The dollars you deposit in NY will appear as a baht bank deposit in your account here in a couple of days and your passbook entry will show it is a foreign exchange deposit, which may be useful in future with Immigrations. The NY branch will charge $10 and your local branch Baht 200 for transfer ... at least that's what I'm charged when transferring monthly amounts in the $2000 to $4000 range. My US bank does not charge for a domestic electronic transfer, so the cost is minimal and the exchange rate is the one posted by Bangkok Bank.

You need first to open the account in Thailand and then the transfer can be made to the branch in NY. The name and account number used when transferring to the NY branch of Bangkok Bank must be exactly the same as you have on the account in Thailand.

New York Branch

Mr. Thitipong Prasertsilp, VP & Branch Manager

29 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York

NY 10006

Business Hours: Mon-Fri (9:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Tel: (1-212) 422-8200

Fax: (1-212) 422-0728

SWIFT: BKKB US 33

E-mail: [email protected]

FED Routing No: 026008691

CHIPS ABA: 0869

Also what type of account should I open to deposit money for the retirement visa?

Once in Thailand you would be applying for an extension of stay based on retirement, not a visa. Best to use a savings account.

If you plan on using Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank, it must be in the account for at least two months before your first extension of stay, and for subsequent annual renewals it must be there for at least 3 months before renewing the extension.

You could also get a verification of monthly income from the US embassy (social security, pension, whatever). That, combined with the bank balance need to work out to at least Baht 65,000 per month or a total of Baht 800,000 for the year. Using this method, the money in the bank does not need to be there for any specific amount of time.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Since you refer to a "checking account" I assume you're probably American. If you open an account at a Bangkok Bank Branch it may prove the most convenient because Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York to which you can do domestic transfers (no need for an International transfer) from an American bank in dollars, using the account number you have in Thailand. The dollars you deposit in NY will appear as a baht bank deposit in your account here in a couple of days and your passbook entry will show it is a foreign exchange deposit, which may be useful in future with Immigrations. The NY branch will charge $10 and your local branch Baht 200 for transfer ... at least that's what I'm charged when transferring monthly amounts in the $2000 to $4000 range. My US bank does not charge for a domestic electronic transfer, so the cost is minimal and the exchange rate is the one posted by Bangkok Bank.

You need first to open the account in Thailand and then the transfer can be made to the branch in NY. The name and account number used when transferring to the NY branch of Bangkok Bank must be exactly the same as you have on the account in Thailand.

New York Branch

Mr. Thitipong Prasertsilp, VP & Branch Manager

29 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York

NY 10006

Business Hours: Mon-Fri (9:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Tel: (1-212) 422-8200

Fax: (1-212) 422-0728

SWIFT: BKKB US 33

E-mail: [email protected]

FED Routing No: 026008691

CHIPS ABA: 0869

And if you are British there is a similar facility for making Faster Payments Service or BACS transfers from a domestic UK account to a Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand via their London branch. In my experience these normally take 24 hours from start to finish (excluding weekends & holidays).

Edited by OJAS

As already posted, any Thai Bank Savings a/c will have an ATM Card.

I have personal checking accounts with SCB and Kasikorn - on both occasions they wanted to see my Work Permit when first opening the a/c..

Suspect a checking account will be difficult without a WP.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I was today able to open a Savings Account that gives me an ATM card at Bangkok Bank in Exchange building across from Terminal 21.

I would like to open an account that could be used to deposit 800,000 for retirement visa purposes. The lady suggested:

• Fixed account with minimum opening value of 2,000 baht and 3, 6 or 12 month fixed
  • Fixed account with minimum opening of 100,000 and 11 month fixed.

I am a bit confused. As the 11 month account requires 100,000 to open. It seems I cannot open the account first and then send the 800,000 baht.

How does one go about moving the needed money from USA? Must the money be seen as a transaction coming from USA or could I first move the 800,000 into my savings account and then when it's there use that to open a fixed account?

Also are there any requirements on what type of account the money is deposited into? I heard that it must be an account that I can withdraw money from at any time. Do the Bangkok Bank "fixed" accounts allow this? I was told it was okay I could take the money out at any time but I would then get no interest.

Hopefully someone can clarify all of this for me.

Thanks

You can transfer the funds into the savings account and move it into a fixed term account.

If you don't have non-o visa and are planning on doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa I suggest you leave it in the savings account until you do the conversion. You will need a letter from the bank confirming the funds came from abroad. After you have the 90 day entry you could then move the funds into the fixed term account. You will not nee the proof the funds came from abroad for the extension of stay application. It will just have to be in the account for 60 days.

You must have it in fixed term account that allows you to do a withdrawal at any time with no penalty other than loss of interest.

When using a fixed term you need to be careful the term does not end during the 3 months prior to when your next extension will be due. If the funds are moved into another account you would loose the 3 months.

You can transfer the funds into the savings account and move it into a fixed term account.

If you don't have non-o visa and are planning on doing a conversion to a non immigrant visa I suggest you leave it in the savings account until you do the conversion. You will need a letter from the bank confirming the funds came from abroad. After you have the 90 day entry you could then move the funds into the fixed term account. You will not nee the proof the funds came from abroad for the extension of stay application. It will just have to be in the account for 60 days.

You must have it in fixed term account that allows you to do a withdrawal at any time with no penalty other than loss of interest.

When using a fixed term you need to be careful the term does not end during the 3 months prior to when your next extension will be due. If the funds are moved into another account you would loose the 3 months.

Ubonjoe.

Can you clarify a bit more about the 90 day entry. I am currently on visa exempt and will be here for another 5-6 weeks ( after a 30 day extension next week).

I was then thinking to go out of the country to Cambodia or Laos for a week and then return. But what visa would give me a 90 day entry?

Thanks

Ubonjoe.

Can you clarify a bit more about the 90 day entry. I am currently on visa exempt and will be here for another 5-6 weeks ( after a 30 day extension next week).

I was then thinking to go out of the country to Cambodia or Laos for a week and then return. But what visa would give me a 90 day entry?

Thanks

A non immigrant O visa from an embassy or consulate will give you a 90 day entry.

Or you can do a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration based upon qualifying for and extension of stay for retirement. You will need the 800k baht in the bank on that date. You will need at least 15 days remaining on your entry to do it.

You must have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for the one year extension of stay.

You could get a single entry non-o visa at the embassy in Vientiane.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was today able to open a Savings Account that gives me an ATM card at Bangkok Bank in Exchange building across from Terminal 21.

I would like to open an account that could be used to deposit 800,000 for retirement visa purposes. The lady suggested:

• Fixed account with minimum opening value of 2,000 baht and 3, 6 or 12 month fixed

I am a bit confused. As the 11 month account requires 100,000 to open. It seems I cannot open the account first and then send the 800,000 baht.

How does one go about moving the needed money from USA? Must the money be seen as a transaction coming from USA or could I first move the 800,000 into my savings account and then when it's there use that to open a fixed account?

Also are there any requirements on what type of account the money is deposited into? I heard that it must be an account that I can withdraw money from at any time. Do the Bangkok Bank "fixed" accounts allow this? I was told it was okay I could take the money out at any time but I would then get no interest.

Thanks

Open a time deposit 11 months at 2.8% , you can transfer it out with a loss of interest before the term is up if you need to. BKK Bank do it

In answer to a question you posted in a new topic.

A non immigrant O visa (non-o) is not the same as a tourist visa, A non-o visa gives a 90 day entry a tourist visa only gives 60 days. Perhaps looking here will help you understand. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You need a non immigrant visa to apply for most extensions of stay,

For an extension of stay based upon retirement it is normally a non-o visa.

Thanks

Leave your money in the States, all you need in the Thai savings account is a minimum of 4000 baht.

Go to the US embassy and get an income affidavit for $2500 a month. No paper work is involved, the fee is $50. A whole lot easier than sweating the 800k for 3 months in the bank every year.

Also the US embassy has an outreach program where they visit different parts of the country every 3 months or so to perform consular services, so you don't necessarily have to go to Bangkok. Google the US embassy for the schedule. Also you need to make an appointment online to visit the Embassy in BKK nowadays.

If you wanna go the 800k route Bangkok Bank has CD accounts available with interest rates up to 1.75%. Just wire the money to the account you just opened then transfer to the CD account, you have to do this in the branch where you opened the initial account.

Edited by Goldcup

Nice advice above -- that making a false sworn statement to a US Consular official being a Federal felony is to some only a minor irritant.

Who is assuming it's a false statement? You are!

Just because they don't require documentation doesn't mean you haven't got it.

I actually have more than $2500 a month coming in. When I declare $2500 am I making a false statement?

Nice advice above -- that making a false sworn statement to a US Consular official being a Federal felony is to some only a minor irritant.

Who is assuming it's a false statement? You are!

Just because they don't require documentation doesn't mean you haven't got it.

I actually have more than $2500 a month coming in. When I declare $2500 am I making a false statement?

The OP made no statement as to his income monthly just that he had the 800,000 baht. And I said that to some making a false statement doesn't present any problem without suggesting such was the case with the OP.

Edited by JLCrab