Thai opinion: Casting spells against corruption

webfact

STREETWISE
Casting spells against corruption

Achara Deboonme

BANGKOK: -- Were I a witch, (a good one, of course) I would use my magic to eradicate corruption from this Kingdom and the entire world.

Given that corruption has afflicted mankind for thousands of years and is apparently deeply embedded in societies, I would need to cast plenty of spells to uproot this ugliness.

The first spell would be to "cure" the causes of our suffering.

Humans have difficulty controlling their desires. Some feel an intense need to gossip, filling the air with nonsense and unproductive chatter that satisfies no one - neither talker nor listener. Others yearn impatiently for some material item they don't have and, in some cases, can never acquire.

Such desires are hot news right now, as the refurbishment of the Cabinet meeting room makes headlines. Journalists last week eagerly reported PM's Office minister ML Panadda Diskul's boast that the room would be equipped with conference technology on par with that of the White House. Members of the media descended on the meeting room for the unveiling of the big screens and pricey microphones.

The news drew much attention.

Junta supporters lauded the move, saying it "modernised" Thailand. It looked good for the country to be able to match the international superpower (though it is mostly national agenda that is discussed in this 513,120-square-metre complex, not something involving people across the world). Finally Thailand, with an economy worth US$673.725 billion - about 4 per cent the size of the US's $17.5 trillion - can match up to a superpower.

Those opposing the junta, as expected, attacked the move. Poised for a chance to scorn the government, they lashed out at the lavish spending on unnecessary equipment at a time when the country's economy is still in bad shape.

Neutral observers paid more attention to the price of equipment, following a Pheu Thai politician's claim that the Bt140,000 paid for each microphone was way higher than the market price. Many are now calmly waiting for an explanation from the government, which just days ago announced that combating graft was its national priority.

Panadda Diskul on Sunday was quick to respond to the confusion, explaining he had been misquoted and, in fact, had never given media an interview on the requisitioning of the system as he was not directly involved. He also insisted that the contract for the Cabinet conference room's sophisticated audio system had yet to be signed. He added that the vendor's price might still be negotiable and could drop to below the quoted price, in line with details issued by Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew, a deputy chief of the National Council for Peace and Order.

Yesterday, Panadda reiterated that there were no irregularities in the plan but neglected to elaborate on why the vendor had been so generous as to fully equip the room prior to agreeing on a price and signing the contract.

Onto my second spell, which would be cast for greater understanding among humans, which would in turn create more compassion for others. Evidence that this is sorely needed is everywhere. Why does Vladimir Putin want to recreate the Soviet Empire when not all of its people would be guaranteed a better life? A worse prospect still is how Islamic State militants will run countries if they win their wars. Both ignore the notion that a peaceful win-win solution exists for all circumstances.

In this sense, the corruption case against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra never ceases to surprise me.

It follows the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC)'s charges against former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom and accomplices, for allegedly profiting from the rice-pledging scheme. Public prosecutors have not yet brought the case to the court, and Boonsong and accomplices are still considered innocent until proven guilty.

Yet the NACC pushed the prosecutors to bring the case against Yingluck, charged for negligence which led to the corruption, to court. This begs the question, how can the NACC proceed with its quest to punish someone for permitting corruption that has not been proved?

The prosecutor explains that Yingluck can't be brought to court yet as the evidence against her has not been fully compiled. To begin with, the NACC forgot to submit the Thailand Development Research Institute's full corruption report, of which only the cover page was attached.

This sparked comments.

Junta supporters, for whom the Shinawatra clan are public enemy No 1, attacked the prosecutors, saying they were surprised with the decision. The opposition smiled.

The neutrals are worried over the future of Thailand's rule of law and social justice.

It was surprising to hear a comment that the NACC may have been seeking to save the prosecutors' time by attaching only the cover page of the TDRI report. You don't need to be told which side the commentator is on. You should instead be worried that some Thais think that lawmakers don't need proper evidence to establish a person's guilt and punish them, if that person is deemed "bad". If this new "rule of law" were to be enshrined in the justice system, the political battle between opposing camps would afflict us for ever.

Sigh!

What a shame my witch's powers are just imaginary.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Casting-spells-against-corruption-30242824.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-09

No corruption. Panadda have not agreed to pay the 140K each for the 100mic. You cannot accuse a good clean prayuth appointed man just becuse the vendor made a mistake in his web site by quoting 99K instead of 199k (now website already corrected). Panadda save the tax payer 60K each for the 100 unit. He is a hero, not a witch.

Here is the first press release of the coven cleaners in action attempting to cleanse the Klingons of corruption from the Thai political scene and Thailand in general.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

witches1_546x307.gif

Are these three also up to their necks in derailing trains, causing accidents for Thai Airways and responsible for flooding ?

• Like 1

"Those opposing the junta, as expected, attacked the move. Poised for a chance to scorn the government, they lashed out at the lavish spending on unnecessary equipment at a time when the country's economy is still in bad shape"

The DEM's lashed out at 65 000 baht LCD clocks with satellite linkages. I wonder if the Junta bought them what the PTP would say?

The DEM's lashed out after discovering air conditioners were installed in the garbage rooms. I wonder if the Junta did that what the PTP would say?

The DEM's lashed out at toilet renovations in parliament that cost 2.6 million baht. I wonder if the Junta did that what the PTP would say?

The PTP certainly have short memories. Maybe the LCD satellite linked clocks has a function that can tell us how long their memories actually are?

• Like 2

"Those opposing the junta, as expected, attacked the move. Poised for a chance to scorn the government, they lashed out at the lavish spending on unnecessary equipment at a time when the country's economy is still in bad shape"

The DEM's lashed out at 65 000 baht LCD clocks with satellite linkages. I wonder if the Junta bought them what the PTP would say?

The DEM's lashed out after discovering air conditioners were installed in the garbage rooms. I wonder if the Junta did that what the PTP would say?

The DEM's lashed out at toilet renovations in parliament that cost 2.6 million baht. I wonder if the Junta did that what the PTP would say?

The PTP certainly have short memories. Maybe the LCD satellite linked clocks has a function that can tell us how long their memories actually are?

Thai's (in general) have a memory? When was that implemented?

I do not know about the rest of you.....I had real high hopes for Prayuth but the last two weeks have dashed all hopes. As a commoner...I heard him say about correcting the price at which lottery tickets are sold....two weeks ago, prices of lotery tickets have now reached new highs....Bt 130 for certain ticket numbers!.(all vendors at Saphan Kwai)...He said that he will deal with taxi problems especially those outside Centralworld....was there last Sunday.....tens of taxis parking on the side of the road, blocking traffic and refuisng to go on metres and the rest of the taxis that stop by...all demanded extras ie Bt 100 plus meter rate. One taxi that I got in and demanded Bt 100 extra said that all the taxis could not be bothered about the army! Whats going on please! Help! I was so happy when all the politicans were ordered out of control of governing the countryand the army came in but now it seems to be getting bad.....everything seems to be pure illusions.There is more news of army personnel committing crimes these days.

• Like 2

Generally in hot climates, where there is wet garbage, re food waste, if at all possible anyone with half a brain installs air conditioning.

Here is the first press release of the coven cleaners in action attempting to cleanse the Klingons of corruption from the Thai political scene and Thailand in general.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

witches1_546x307.gif

They are the new leaders of the next Shin proxy government, once the good General steps down and everything goes back to the way it was.

Generally in hot climates, where there is wet garbage, re food waste, if at all possible anyone with half a brain installs air conditioning.

Generally in hot weather when there is wet garbage, re food waste, if at all possible anyone with half a brain either a/ stores the garbage outside b/ ensures more regular garbage collections or c/ if they insist holding wet waste in a confined room in parliament thus exacerbating the smell issue then they would firstly need to by a half of a brain because obviously half a brain is not working out well for them and then they would install exhaust fans.

PTP logic dictates that instead of any of the above they decide to store the waste in a confined room with no ventilation and install air conditioners that cost 1000's of baht a month. Obviously you are not a Thai tax payer. Or do you prefer the most expensive, illogical option for garbage storage available? Your logic dictates fresh seafood from Big C should be stored in the hot sun, but to ensure longevity it should be covered in ice on an hourly basis.

I would hate to see the electricity bill at your house then with your swell air conditioning logic. In fact you must be the only one that has come up with this logic because no where in Australia or Thailand or Laos where I have lived and worked have I seen air conditioners keeping garbage cool. You know what I see. Dumpsters outside. Simple really.

PTP logic at its best. Thank you.

Edited by djjamie

I do not know about the rest of you.....I had real high hopes for Prayuth but the last two weeks have dashed all hopes. As a commoner...I heard him say about correcting the price at which lottery tickets are sold....two weeks ago, prices of lotery tickets have now reached new highs....Bt 130 for certain ticket numbers!.(all vendors at Saphan Kwai)...He said that he will deal with taxi problems especially those outside Centralworld....was there last Sunday.....tens of taxis parking on the side of the road, blocking traffic and refuisng to go on metres and the rest of the taxis that stop by...all demanded extras ie Bt 100 plus meter rate. One taxi that I got in and demanded Bt 100 extra said that all the taxis could not be bothered about the army! Whats going on please! Help! I was so happy when all the politicans were ordered out of control of governing the countryand the army came in but now it seems to be getting bad.....everything seems to be pure illusions.There is more news of army personnel committing crimes these days.

He needs better quality whitewash and more painters.

He needs better quality whitewash and more painters.

Well there's always the Democrat Party's Chief Advisor, Chaun Leekpai. Perhaps he's still available?

"....Finally Thailand, with an economy worth US$673.725 billion - about 4 per cent the size of the US's $17.5 trillion - can match up to a superpower....."

Just two questions Miss Boonme.

1. When did Thailands GDP jump 75% from $380 billion to $673 billion?....

2. How do you figure that being equivalent to 4% of the US is a "match up"?

Seriously is this the best journalists that the nation has? They could hire university students to write better quality lies than this hack.

Edited by Time Traveller