U.s. Tax Info?

jaideeguy

I'm a retired American, married with children, living in LOS and need advise [professional or first hand] regarding claiming my wife and two children as dependants. We are legally married with amphor pa[ers and she has my family name. the children still have their former family names. is there anyone out there with experience and/or knowledge of the IRS 'rules' on this situation??

I'm a retired American, married with children, living in LOS and need advise [professional or first hand] regarding claiming my wife and two children as dependants. We are legally married with amphor pa[ers and she has my family name. the children still have their former family names. is there anyone out there with experience and/or knowledge of the IRS 'rules' on this situation??

:o

I would be far from an expert, but my first recommendation is to read the requirements of being classified as a "dependent" on the instructions that are given on how to fill out a form 1040. I haven't looked at that in a while, but I recall there was a pretty good definition of who was considered a dependent and who wasn't. You should be able to get the instructions from the U.S. Embessy. They used to have a good supply of forms and instructions on filling out the forms in the consulate in BKK, especially a couple months be fore April 15th tax day.

As I recall, but could be wrrong. legal marriage, full-time support of wife or children, and having them reside with you (assuming children were under 21 or students) was the key. If they meet those requirements, you are home free.

You probably could also go on-line to the IRS web site and from that point hunt down the definition of a "dependent" according to the IRS.

:D

I just went through the nightmare of making my children deductions. It includes them having U.S. Passports, Record of Brith Abroad, SSAN numbers being issued and of course all the legal requirements to get those. Prepare yourself for many trips to the Embassy, tranlations of everything into English and of course a mountain of paperwork and long waits. Good luck!

I disagree with mouse's waring about needing a "mountain of paprer work" but it will take some doing. My wife is Thai and not a US citizen and we have 1 son who was born in Thailand and holds dual nationality. I claim both on my federal tax return.

First, to claim your wife. You will need to complete form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. I think I had to get a certified copy of my wife's passport or birth certificate and a certified copy of our marriage lic. Anyway the instructions come with the form.

To claim the children they nly need to have a Social Security number. They DO NOT need to have a US passprt. When our son was born in 1990 here in bkk I applied for his notice of birth abroad

and SS number at the same time and received the card a couple months later.

Since it appears you are doing all this well after the birth you will have to check with the consulate, US citizens service section and get the details. Good luck.