Foreign tourists robbed in Bangkok by tuk-tuk driver and motorcyclist duo

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Although Thailand is generally regarded as safe place for foreign travelers, there have been a string of crimes against tourists in recent weeks."

Recent? Don't think so, crimes have been going on against tourists for years.

Yes, you are right, its been going on for decades actually, but you also have to agree, that compared with for example, Cambodia, Phllippines or Burma, Thailand is much safer.

It is just that the numbers of tourists visiting this country are so huge, that it seems to occur more often but relatively, Thailand is very safe. Check the statistics of countries like France and Italy and you'll see we are much better off here!

• Like 1

ahem, can I be the first to say 'this kind of thing can happen anywhere'?

Ahem, excuse me, not sure from where you are from but, ZERO first world countries I have been to have Taxi motos and open 3 wheel trikes for general public hire..

Perhaps you were just exaggerating a tad?

Taxi robberies of course could happen most places on the planet, except Antarctica as there are none there as yet...

"Although Thailand is generally regarded as safe place for foreign travelers, there have been a string of crimes against tourists in recent weeks."

Yes, you are right, its been going on for decades actually, but you also have to agree, that compared with for example, Cambodia, Phllippines or Burma, Thailand is much safer.

It is just that the numbers of tourists visiting this country are so huge, that it seems to occur more often but relatively, Thailand is very safe. Check the statistics of countries like France and Italy and you'll see we are much better off here!

I do think Thailand is relatively safe, as long as you know what you are doing and where to avoid [like most places really]. However, this whole head in the sand approach by TAT [and their acolytes] to the fact there are very dangerous places for tourists [often in tourist areas] and this claim crime against tourists is a new thing, is annoying.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thainess at its best .

Really, so you think this is a problem unique to Thailand?

Having worked in Spain for many years I know that some of the Spanish taxi services have an equally bad reputation and that the same applies to many other countries, even in the States, especially in Miami where at one time tourists were getting mugged and murdered wholesale, some even within minutes after stepping off their plane. Not everywhere has the good reputations of the New York yellow cabs and the black cabs of London, although these days I would never want to travel on a London bus or London underground train during the late hours, far too dangerous.

I suggest you do some research first before you start Thai bashing.

With respect, I think you're misssing the point. Whilst yellow/black taxi related crime maybe worldwide, tuk-tuks and motorcycly taxis aren't, and are part of 'Thainess'. Did you ever see tuk-tuks and m/c taxis in Paris, London, New York or Rome? The combination of an open-sided tuk-tuk and a m/c taxi are specific ingredients in this type of crime, aren't they?

All these animals said "they needed the money to provide for their families".

Good how about try work something mother f****ckers?

With unemployment rate at less than one percent, there is no excuse for any healthy Thai to not have an honest job. Tuk tuk rates are 'daylight robbery' anyway so the tuk tuk driver, especially, had no excuse. If they stopped using narcotics, they wouldn't need to prey on innocent female tourists.

Just two month ago some guys tried (failed) get my wife´s bag, so let me be the first to say: Hang them high!! (as an example for all the others)

So because they tried to snatches your wife's bag, they should start to execute people???

What kind of guy are you????

I interpreted his statement to mean: Throw the book at them. Not everyone speaks literally; especially Thai people.

I like how the police seem to acknowledge that stealing to provide for the family would partly justify it.

That's funny. I read it just the opposite. From the OP:

Mr. Ekkapol and Mr. Jonglak said they needed the money to provide for their families.

However, police records show that the pair was previously arrested on narcotics charges, Pol.Col. Ruechakorn said. "The confession that they committed the crime because they needed to take care of their babies is just an excuse," the officer said,

It seemed to me the police believe their motive for the crime was to supply their drug habits.

Ahhhhhhh, that's so sweet......they wanted to provide for their kids.

Bet you they haven't got any kids.

Anyway, it's the farangs fault for producing so many gangster movies that have an adverse effect on these innocent Thais.

"...gangster movies that have an adverse effect on these innocent Thais."

Is this some kind of sick Greek joke?

Costas is repeating a common Internet meme which says Thais are always blaming someone else for their deficiencies/mistakes e.g. 'That person was Cambodian; not Thai', or blaming the victim e.g. 'If the Chinese tourist didn't have a handbag, I wouldn't have tried to steal it'.

In other words, he is making a joke; it's just not a Greek joke. And nothing sick about it, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

I can tell you that the Bangkok taxi drivers have had a reputation as being dangerous and risky for many years.

I remember over 30 years ago that these sorts of crimes committed on tourists and foreign business passengers by Bangkok taxi drivers were common even back in those days. Many passengers have been seriously assaulted, robbed, raped and and even murdered. I can remember that a Japanese business man was robbed and murdered by a Bangkok taxi driver in 1989, if my memory serves me well. And 15 years ago an English guy was robbed and left for dead in a remote area somewhere. Luckily he survived and the taxi driver apprehended. I was warned about Bangkok taxi drivers even when I first set foot in Thailand back in 1982.

The favourite ploy is to drive their unsuspected passengers, especially those fresh off a plane and have no idea of the areas in Bangkok, to a remote area where the driver turns off into a soi somewhere and is met by his accomplishes in waiting. There the passenger/s are at the mercy of these thugs, many do not survive to tell the tale and these cases are more common than as to what is reported. The taxi driver details in the OP is an absolutely amateur in comparison, as the majority hardly ever get caught or the events are kept quite or covered up.

I will always be reluctant to travel on a Bangkok taxi alone or just with a female partner, even travelling in a taxi meter is no assurance of safety for passengers.

Pass this tip on to all the women you know in Thailand. When the woman first gets into the taxi, she calls a friend and tells the friend she is in a taxi and what the taxi's number is. She should also say she will call back when she is safely at her destination and expected time of arrival. She needs to do this in a voice loud enough for the driver to hear that he has been identified to someone he can't control. The woman can even pretend she is talking on the phone and it will have the same effect. The driver has been put on notice that if he does anything bad, he has already been identified.

Thainess at its best .

Having worked in Spain for many years I know that some of the Spanish taxi services have an equally bad reputation and that the same applies to many other countries, even in the States, especially in Miami where at one time tourists were getting mugged and murdered wholesale, some even within minutes after stepping off their plane. Not everywhere has the good reputations of the New York yellow cabs and the black cabs of London, although these days I would never want to travel on a London bus or London underground train during the late hours, far too dangerous.

Never get in a taxi in Mexico City that you didn't order directly from the taxi company. It may take a little longer but what is your life worth? Bangkok is relatively safe in my experience.

I had a bloke back in 2012 who tried to grab my bracelet off me in Bangkok at ekame bus station,,Big Mistake! i decked him and i demanded he pay 2,000 baht damages for pissing me off, or i will get the police involved and i will give him another beating.he paid,they did a bit of a collection for him to raise the money,then i went on my way.is my way of civil compensation!

Just two month ago some guys tried (failed) get my wife´s bag, so let me be the first to say: Hang them high!! (as an example for all the others)

So because they tried to snatches your wife's bag, they should start to execute people???

What kind of guy are you????

Bangmod...I don't think he meant to literally hang them until they die. It's just a saying that basically means to make an example out of them. Atleast I hope that's what he meant.

• Like 1

I like how the police seem to acknowledge that stealing to provide for the family would partly justify it.

Actually, I never thought about it, but now that you mention it, very true. I can recall many times when reading an article that has to do with theft, the writer always puts in something about the thief either needed money to feed his family or to feed him/her/ladyboy-self.

These individuals have no respect and believe that just because the person they are stealing from (Thai or Farang) may be dressed nice or plainly just looks cleaner than they do, that this Thai or Farang can afford to be ripped off. That we can just go out and buy it again or won't miss the money they stole. The truth of the matter is that they are just plum lazy and prefer to take the easy route and not have to work for a living. How many times have you heard of a Thai girl having a Thai boyfriend who does not work and spends his days drinking and partying with his guy friends and when he needs something, he'll go to her and she'll just give him more money from the money she gets from her Farang boyfriend? That's how they live their life...always taking and not working for it... Acting like other's owe it to him for being alive.

Ridiculous!

Thainess at its best .

With respect, I think you're misssing the point. Whilst yellow/black taxi related crime maybe worldwide, tuk-tuks and motorcycly taxis aren't, and are part of 'Thainess'. Did you ever see tuk-tuks and m/c taxis in Paris, London, New York or Rome? The combination of an open-sided tuk-tuk and a m/c taxi are specific ingredients in this type of crime, aren't they?

Total crapola.

To compare what you Thai bashers describe as Thainess, worldwide there is also: Africanness, Japanness, katmanduness, Colombianess, Hondurasness, Londonness, Sri_Lankaness and last but not least, Indianness. I would say the Indian tuk tuks are most worldwide renowned. Probably find many more if you do a search.

Every time there is a crime committed in Thailand, you clowns jump on the bandwagon as if each crime is a common Thai trait, what you fools describe as Thainess, which is just another racist term.

In a previous post I have mentioned that the Bangkok taxis are not safe, but this is not an exclusive problem in the Thai capital only.

Do your own research before mouthing off about what you consider is something unique to Thais.

post-110219-0-11444200-1410333033_thumb.

post-110219-0-75288000-1410333049_thumb.

post-110219-0-24507800-1410333074_thumb.

post-110219-0-26648400-1410333089_thumb.

post-110219-0-98391800-1410333098_thumb.

post-110219-0-16532700-1410333107_thumb.

post-110219-0-93320000-1410333154_thumb.

post-110219-0-24890100-1410333165_thumb.

post-110219-0-75801100-1410333193_thumb.

Thainess at its best .

Total crapola.

To compare what you Thai bashers describe as Thainess, worldwide there is also: Africanness, Japanness, katmanduness, Colombianess, Hondurasness, Londonness, Sri_Lankaness and last but not least, Indianness. I would say the Indian tuk tuks are most worldwide renowned. Probably find many more if you do a search.

Every time there is a crime committed in Thailand, you clowns jump on the bandwagon as if each crime is a common Thai trait, what you fools describe as Thainess, which is just another racist term.

In a previous post I have mentioned that the Bangkok taxis are not safe, but this is not an exclusive problem in the Thai capital only.

Do your own research before mouthing off about what you consider is something unique to Thais.

Is there such a thing as Beetlejuiceness that can be found elsewhere in the world,or is it unique to you.Just curious.

Is there such a thing as Beetlejuiceness that can be found elsewhere in the world,or is it unique to you.Just curious.

Probably unique only to me among the majority of Thai visa members.

It stands for logic, common sense and non prejudice of people`s ethnic backgrounds, religious beliefs and being optimistic of lifestyles in Thailand my host country, enjoy life and make the most of it, without constantly moaning and whinging and finding faults about everything Thai.

The only persons I tar with the same brush are fools and morons, just can`t tolerate them.

Logic 1: Two Chinese tourists were targeted for a robbery in Bangkok by a tuk tuk driver and one of his cronies. I can assure everyone that Thailand is not the only country where innocent tourists have been victims of crime, attacks on tourists is not only pertaining to Thailand.

Logic 2: The whole taxi infrastructure of Bangkok and nationwide is in desperate need of enforced stricter regulation and authoritarian control, a more efficient form of taxi systems needs to be installed, all answerable to an independent higher authority government departmental public transport watchdog, with drivers vetted and certified prior to being issued licenses to drive taxis and being let loose on the public highways. This has always been and is the root of the problem, has nothing to do with anyone being Thai.

Maybe even you are able to take that in and understand? Or perhaps like with so many other posters on here, this all goes way above your head and beyond your comprehension?

Edited by Beetlejuice

Thainess at its best .

Total crapola.

True, there are many 'nesses' throughout the world. Some people even believe there's a Loch Ness Monster! Isn't 'Thainess' a marketing 'buzz word' meant to generate the thoughts of smiles, enjoyment and lasting happy memories. Sadly, there can sometimes be 'another side to the coin'. I don't think racism is intended in any previous post I've read, although I do detect a good dose of sarcasm in the use of the word.

Heavens Twomergatroid w00t.gif And all this time I was lead to believe that it was the black African chappies, who were doing all the pick-pocketings, purse-snatchings and robberies in Bangkok, according to the popular opinions, I've heard around the Leo bar stools.

I'm absolutely stunned, that a Thai person would do such a thing, to a tourist. Totally, out of character, for a people born of a 2,558 year-old Buddhist culture!

I'm also amazed by how readily the perpetrator of the robbery immediately confessed, re-enacted the crime for the police, and then promptly "snitched" on his accomplice. A real stand-up, "take-the-bust-alone" kind of guy.

I suppose those criminals are the same Thai "tough guy" types, who also like to physically intimidate, and assault foreign female tourists, on the beaches of Thailand, as well. whistling.gif

Probably unique only to me among the majority of Thai visa members.

It stands for logic, common sense and non prejudice of people`s ethnic backgrounds, religious beliefs and being optimistic of lifestyles in Thailand my host country, enjoy life and make the most of it, without constantly moaning and whinging and finding faults about everything Thai.

The only persons I tar with the same brush are fools and morons, just can`t tolerate them.

Logic 1: Two Chinese tourists were targeted for a robbery in Bangkok by a tuk tuk driver and one of his cronies. I can assure everyone that Thailand is not the only country where innocent tourists have been victims of crime, attacks on tourists is not only pertaining to Thailand.

Logic 2: The whole taxi infrastructure of Bangkok and nationwide is in desperate need of enforced stricter regulation and authoritarian control, a more efficient form of taxi systems needs to be installed, all answerable to an independent higher authority government departmental public transport watchdog, with drivers vetted and certified prior to being issued licenses to drive taxis and being let loose on the public highways. This has always been and is the root of the problem, has nothing to do with anyone being Thai.

Maybe even you are able to take that in and understand? Or perhaps like with so many other posters on here, this all goes way above your head and beyond your comprehension?

A straight yes or no answer would have been suffice.

A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind.

Heavens Twomergatroid w00t.gif And all this time I was lead to believe that it was the black African chappies, who were doing all the pick-pocketings, purse-snatchings and robberies in Bangkok, according to the popular opinions, I've heard around the Leo bar stools.

I'm absolutely stunned, that a Thai person would do such a thing, to a tourist. Totally, out of character, for a people born of a 2,558 year-old Buddhist culture!

I'm also amazed by how readily the perpetrator of the robbery immediately confessed, re-enacted the crime for the police, and then promptly "snitched" on his accomplice. A real stand-up, "take-the-bust-alone" kind of guy.

I suppose those criminals are the same Thai "tough guy" types, who also like to physically intimidate, and assault foreign female tourists, on the beaches of Thailand, as well. whistling.gif

Beware the wrath of Beetlejuice.