uTorrent Sync crash

bobbin

Is anyone else having a problem with Sync "hi-jacking" uTorrent?

Starting today, I can't get past a welcome to Sync (apparently a BitTorrent product) page while uTorrent runs in the background but inaccessible.

There is also a heavy memory leak.

So far there have been a few complaints on the uTorrent forums.....

I don't have the issue running µTorrent 3.4.2 beta

but you may want to monitor this uTorrent thread: Get Sync Crash

//edit: Left µTorrent open for a while and the 'ad' to install Sync took over the activity windows. No issue for me when I clicked back to Torrent activity.

Edited by RichCor

From the other (closed) thread,

Options -> Show SideBar (or press F7)

Click on on of the display options (Torrents, Downloading, Seeding, Active ... etc )

Screen-Shot-2013-07-16-at-4.52.12-PM-102

It's just an annoying active ad that takes over the status display area. No need to click on it, just F7 and choose one of the display lists and it will go away.

Switch to Tixati or qbittorrent.

I have to give Tixati an enthusiastic thumbs up.

It has some rough edges:

• Magnet links don't work directly for me, but using the info hash either C&P out of TPB listing, or extracted from the magnet link itself, works just fine.
  • If I start Tix. with the directories unavailable, Tix marks the seeding and pending seeding and complete downloads as DONE (or something) and does not look at them again. I have to go in and manually restart them for seeding.

But it is cross platform, and AD FREE. I have even started a DL on Winblows, and moved it mid stream and finished on Linux quite easily.

Using uTorrent 3.4.2 but not latest build.

A while back the ads irritated me and found these tweaks on a thread on the uTorrent forum.

Applied and have not seen any ads since. Settings are not overridden when upgrading.

Worth a try and you can always revert.

Copied from a uTorrent forum thread

Disable ads by going to Options > Preferences > Advanced.
Set the following items to false:
•• offers.content_offer_autoexec : (this auto-executes signed Featured Torrent content with autoexec flag)

•• offers.content_offer_url : (Used to test install-time content offers)

•• offers.left_rail_offer_enabled : (enables-disables new Offers (Ads) by Bittorrent Inc.-located at the left pane)

•• offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled : (enables-disables new Offer -Featured Torrents at the top of main view)

•• gui.show_plus_upsell : ( Show Plus Information in Plus box on the sidebar)

•• gui.show_notorrents_node : (shows a page in the sidebar when no torrents are loaded).

• Like 2

It has some rough edges:

• Magnet links don't work directly for me, but using the info hash either C&P out of TPB listing, or extracted from the magnet link itself, works just fine.
  • If I start Tix. with the directories unavailable, Tix marks the seeding and pending seeding and complete downloads as DONE (or something) and does not look at them again. I have to go in and manually restart them for seeding.
But it is cross platform, and AD FREE. I have even started a DL on Winblows, and moved it mid stream and finished on Linux quite easily.

I switched from Utorrent to Tixati a few months ago. I like it much more than UT! thumbsup.gif The interface just seems so much more intuitive for me.

Magnet links work fine for me. I don't know what could be causing your problem.

Regarding your problem with seeding, I don't have that issue either. In fact I reset my max number of seeds to 200 at the same time and many of my seeds have reached the seed ratio limit (which I upped to 2.7).

The only thing I can think to suggest is to reinstall. They just released ver. 1.99 maybe reinstalling with that might help.

It has some rough edges:

I switched from Utorrent to Tixati a few months ago. I like it much more than UT! thumbsup.gif The interface just seems so much more intuitive for me.

Magnet links work fine for me. I don't know what could be causing your problem.

Regarding your problem with seeding, I don't have that issue either. In fact I reset my max number of seeds to 200 at the same time and many of my seeds have reached the seed ratio limit (which I upped to 2.7).

The only thing I can think to suggest is to reinstall. They just released ver. 1.99 maybe reinstalling with that might help.

Well this is embarrasing! I think I was just tooo lazy to configure firefox to open magnet links using Tixati. However that admission out of the way, I know pasting the magnet link into the add box gave me an invalid info hash until I erased everything but the info hash itself. That now seems to be working ok too, and that was not due to a stupid oversight like the FF thing!

Problem #2 I just put down to that's how the program works. Its really not a big deal, but my download dirs are on an external drive, and if I forget to plug it in before I fireup Tixati, all completed D/L's show 'offline' and active d/l's show file missing. I just plug in and mount the drive, select all, and force check... starts d/l's and seeding as appropriate.

Well all is functioning great now, I'm glad you prompted me to look into it again! BTW, I'm on v1.96, I had forgotten about the upgrade - now I remember being prompted at the time, but my short term mem is rubbish!!! :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Version 3.2.1 running very smoothly for a few years here. Never seen an ad.

Recently I encountered a problem with magnet links which some may be experiencing without even realising it:

If you have checked the option "Show a window that display the files inside the torrent" (UI Settings), when clicking on a magnet link a window opens allowing you to select files etc.

If for some reason the program exits abnormally (power cut, crash) with this window open, the torrent appears lost - but it is still inside there somewhere... After restarting the program, there is no torrent in the list and no window (as described above). When you click the magnet link again the message 'Torrent already exists; do you wish to add the trackers' appears. Neither choice works and the magnet link remains in limbo.

After trying several solutions on the web the best I found is the following:

Finish downloading all open torrents.

Exit UTorrent completely.

In the C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent folder, there are several .dat files - remove resume.dat and dht.dat

Restart UTorrent and everything is back to normal.

Still rate UT the best. Started with a 512kb line in 2005; now 13mb and half the cost! Amazing when you think of it...

Can someone explain UTorrents for me. I use Kickass, Yify and UseNext(about to expire) Any other movie options out there. A lot of these site claim to be free but want your credit card number.

Hi "elgordo"

uTorrents is one of several programs to download "Torrents"

Torrents are just files, movies, TV programs and the like that are shared around by everybody. Lots and lots of free stuff available on many sites so there should be no need to give out your card details ever.

Most sites are "Public" which means you don't have to sigh up, but any one can just upload whatever they like. These are a bit dodgy as you don't know what nasties you might download.

Private sites are where you have to register are moderated and safe. Registration is free, you should never pay anything. The point of registration is to keep the site safe so you can be sure what ever you download will not mess up your computer.

A couple of the safer FREE sites are Extra Torrents, Kickass Torrents and Pirate Bay you have to be a bit careful with these especially Pirate Bay but if you reed the comments they soon ley you know if the download is a dud.

A couple of private sites where you have to register are TV Chaos and The Empire, both specialize in UK and Canadian and Australian TV programs. Both sites are excellent with TV programs sometimes uploaded the same day as aired in the home country.

The one exception to all the above is https://eztv.it/ which is "Public" no registration required and is safe. This site has mostly American TV programs, but also a lot of UK stuff as well.

Some info to get you started.

Daffy thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Can someone explain UTorrents for me. I use Kickass, Yify and UseNext(about to expire) Any other movie options out there. A lot of these site claim to be free but want your credit card number.

Please send me your credit card and your PIN and I;'ll send you a private message how to get the best movies on this planet....