Do you buy new or second hand car here in LOS?

dagling

I have always preferred to buy a new car, but when I see what some of my friends saving to buy a "new" used car (1-two years old with less than 10,000 mi) I will be a little puzzled about the longer worth buying brand new car?

I'm talking about up to 25% off on a car that has all documented services and less than 10,000 km. As we all know, the prices of used cars has fallen dramatically in the past.

I paid 1,270,000 for my Isuzu Choise 2012 model. See them now retails for approximately 700-750000, -

If you choose to keep the car 5-eight years time, so one has much to save to buy a small used car that looks like new.

Your thoughts on this?

I bought a Fortuner in January 2006, top of the line 1,249,000.

I reckon its lost about 50%, not bad really, not that I would sell it anyway, I just don't see anything else that I'd rather have, and it's been a great motor, I'm waiting for the next Toyota SUV, or a Nissan SUV based on the Navara.

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

I have spent all my professional life in the Automotive trade from Cars to trucks and extensive involvement in Motorsport so I have a feel for industry best practice, service and technical aspects of vehicle integrity etc. I am just back from Thailand and purchased a Toyota Vigo Double Cab 2.5lt VN Turbo Diesel 6sp Auto while I was there (10 days ago). The dealer in question is brand new only opened two months ago and their premesis was magnificently designed and presented. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied with how I was dealt with all thru the process. I paid BT860k for this vehicle delivered. It seemed a great deal coming in at approx. $30k Aussie dollars. Since being back in Oz and doing price comparisons I cant get the same combination of motor, trim and drivetrain. The Auto in Australia is only the 5 speed version even in top of the line models. The closest comparison comes in at $42k. Yes I am very happy with the vehicle and the experience. Top marks to Toyota Loeng Nok Tha, Yasothorn.

• Like 1

The problem buying with 2nd hand, late model specifically, is that the full amount of interest on the loan will be paid regardless if paid off early or not. If the car is one year old and has a 5 year note for example, the remaining 4 years of interest will offset the depreciation. Most sellers won't be willing to eat the interest and sell the car for its actual value. Of course if the car was originally purchased in cash that wouldn't be an issue.

I prefer to buy new (but firs couple of cars were secondhand but purchased cheap and sold for profit). 1st new vehicle here is a Ford Ranger 2012 bought for Bt.700,000 currently for sale @ Bt.400,000..... Worst vehicle I have ever owned, the second being a 2014 Mazda 3 bought for Bt1100,000. Great vehicle so far.

Reason for buying new instead of more secondhand cars is I can't save money for shit, I have a set amount I keep in Thailand every month with the balance heading off shore... So for me it is easier to front the 20% deposit than the full amount in cash.

No doubts that to buy an used imported luxury car may be a very good deal because the big depreciation its have, average 50% after just 3years, and most of the times its are with low miles, and with all the dealer maintanence records. Millionaires's wives do not drive much, and most sells cheap. German cars with diesel engine runs forever, and after the initial depreciation, holds value very well.

The BIg problem with used cars in Thailand is the flood damage, and the odometer reading. Better to buy a local car with local dealer records, and from the first owner.

Bought a one year old Mazda BT 50 with less than 4.000 km on the clock for 480.000 THB. That was 4 years ago.

50.000 km now and no issues with the car at all.

This Mazda will be my car until I die. So I don't worry about loss of value.

BTW, I am 65.

Edited by maximillian
  • Like 1

just bought a new Mitsubishi Triton double door plus fully kitted with liner camera tv/dvd, sat nav etc fitted with LPG should have been 805,000 but offer on so was given 100,000 off with a 3 year warranty. the car will lose money for the first few years but if you intend to keep it for as long as possible it will retain it value in later years ... also have a Toyota Yaris bought for 450,000 7 years ago still worth 280,000 where else would i be able to sell a car for that done over 150,000 km's

Bought a one year old Mazda BT 50 with less than 4.000 km on the clock for 480.000 THB. That was 4 years ago.

50.000 km now and no issues with the car at all.

This Mazda will be my car until I die. So I don't worry about loss of value.

BTW, I am 65.

Planning on snuffing it young then ?

Just look around you and decide... It's not unusual to see a cloud of black smoke coming from a car with the red plates still on!

Yes it is, very, very unusual, unless you have pictures of multiple red-plated cars emitting black smoke to back up your ridiculous claim of course.

• Like 1

Depreciation on new and secondhand cars in Thailand is currently delightfully slow. However those days are drawing to an end, if only because of the vast numbers of vehicles pumped onto the roads in the last 5 years.

You certainly can avoid that new car "big drop" by buying a car that is one or two years old.

I bought a second had vehicle off a dealer with 2 years makers warrantee still on it and saved about 250,000 on the new retail list price.

The secondhand market in Thailand is a new thing and Thailand doesn't have the sophisticated consumer laws that exist in the West, so it ca be a case of {"caveat emptor". However those who simply deride Thai car dealers as a bunch of crooks are expressing a racially prejudiced view rather than a rational one.

most dealers don't want hassle when they sell a car, so they try to buy a good car that they can sell for a good profit, with littler no comeback.

A new feature of the Thai motor market is the growth of the dealership part-exchange outlets....you'll notice that most Toyota dealers now have a "SURE" outlet next to them......these will come with some fairly good customer services....at a cost of course.

• in the end most modern cars are remarkably resilient and reliable and unlikely to cause problems
  • you can also bear in mind that once away from a dealership the cost of even major repairs is very low due to the low cost of labour.
  • always check ownership. If your name is on the blue book then it is pretty difficult to prove the car belongs to anyone else. Finance companies with a claim to the vehicle will have their name as owner of the vehicle - so make sure any outstanding finance is dealt with before you buy.

PS - one more note - Thailand is VERY good at building cars out of single of multiple wrecks....the lack of any serious roadworthy tests make this quite easy. Check around the vehicle - if you don't feel happy doing this yourself, get a guy from your local garage or somewhere - pay him a few hundred baht for his trouble. The big giveaway on there body will be non-parallel lines between body sections, doors etc. .......underneath look for unexplained dents in the chassis or welds. Under the bonnet you might see crumpled bodywork - wheel arches etc that the repairer didn't do because they can't be seen from outside.

PPS - Another good point about secondhand buying is that you can NEGOTIATE. I got a great deal including part exchange on my secondhand car - much better than anything I could have got from a dealer.

i agree these bodymen are magicians,they use the spray on filler and fill everything,but it is thin and hard to detect.not many places spend time beating out dents,just fill em.i see tons of shops on sukumvit with front and rear clips,bmw's mercedes,all waiting for a new home....i bought my used car,but, i knew the original owner,so no mystery...i would never buy a used car or truck unless i knew its full history....unless of course the price was right and i checked it thorouly on a hoist....and even then i would be nervous...

i bought 2nd hand, 2,5 years old (coming up on 3 soon) with 62,000 km on it with a few extras included (lift, Yoko ATs etc). New model (old version) was 990k and I paid 600 including insurance etc for first year. Happy thus far and no major issues - touch wood.

I am inclined to think 'buying new' has a little snobbery involved.

We have all heard how you lose a lot of money by just driving it off the forecourt.

A one year old vehicle, for much less money, in good condition and retaining some warranty can save you a lot of money.

It is similar to those who must have the latest model of smart-phone........it can cost you.

If you have the money, and it is important to you, buy new.

If you could use the money saved by buying second hand, you should do so.

It is very personal.

• Like 2

Depreciation on new and secondhand cars in Thailand is currently delightfully slow. However those days are drawing to an end, if only because of the vast numbers of vehicles pumped onto the roads in the last 5 years.

This used to be true until a year or so ago, but no more. Used prices have plummeted since last year and good discounts are readily available on most new vehicles.

Personally I would always buy new because I don't trust people here to either drive properly or maintain their vehicles properly.

This used to be true until a year or so ago, but no more. Used prices have plummeted since last year and good discounts are readily available on most new vehicles.

Personally I would always buy new because I don't trust people here to either drive properly or maintain their vehicles properly.

Sorry can't see how your comment relates to my quote.

As someone pointed out Consumer Protection law is the issue here along with the significant amount of fraud. Even if the law is on your side, and it frequently is not, do you really want all the hassle if your second hand purchase turns out not to be quite as advertised. Getting money back from any Thai person is like getting blood out of a stone especially if they decide to let you fight it through the hugely expensive (for foreigners) courts.

For those reasons I think buying second hand has a lot of pitfalls though of course there will be some good and honest deals available amongst the bad ones. Not sure I would want to take the risk.

On the other hand new car dealers are very hard to get a decent deal from even though they must be suffering from a slowdown in the wake of the 'new car incentive scheme' brainchild of Yingluck & Co.

Would be great if there were some more effective consumer protection laws or even an insurance you can buy to protect you from buying a deceitful pig in a poke.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I prefer to buy new (but firs couple of cars were secondhand but purchased cheap and sold for profit). 1st new vehicle here is a Ford Ranger 2012 bought for Bt.700,000 currently for sale @ Bt.400,000..... Worst vehicle I have ever owned, the second being a 2014 Mazda 3 bought for Bt1100,000. Great vehicle so far.

Reason for buying new instead of more secondhand cars is I can't save money for shit, I have a set amount I keep in Thailand every month with the balance heading off shore... So for me it is easier to front the 20% deposit than the full amount in cash.

Surely missing a '0' or 2 on that Mazda price though correct? wink.png

The price was one million one hundred thousand baht. should have put a comma in between the 1's.

"Rule 3a. With figures of four or more digits, use commas. Count three spaces to the left to place the first comma. Continue placing commas after every three digits. Important: do not include decimal points when doing the counting.

Examples:

1,054 people

$2,417,592.21"

• Like 1

Sorry can't see how your comment relates to my quote.

Really?

You wrote "Depreciation on new and secondhand cars in Thailand is currently delightfully slow".

I wrote "This used to be true until a year or so ago, but no more".

Seems pretty relevant to me.

The price was one million one hundred thousand baht. should have put a comma in between the 1's.

"Rule 3a. With figures of four or more digits, use commas. Count three spaces to the left to place the first comma. Continue placing commas after every three digits. Important: do not include decimal points when doing the counting.

Examples:

1,054 people

$2,417,592.21"

Yes a coma, it's late, I'm tired, been up too late lately, going to bed..