Any advice on jobs?

So I'm going to Thailand in December. I'll be studying in Thammasat so a job in Bangkok would be my best bet.

I'm a Thai citizen yet can't speak Thai well, so I am aware it's going to be difficult getting a job.

But what about foreigner bars? Would they recruit me?

I can not always rely on my family there so I like to e dependant and self-suffienct. I'm working with Marriott right now before I go Thailand so perhaps I can get a reference to work at Marriott in Bangkok.

I'm 21 so I like to think I am still young and available, I have bar experience and with customers, so perhaps Marriott is my best bet.

Any advice on job hunting? Thank you.

Edited by Ws93

If you're going to be studying then you will be looking for a part-time job. My impression is that these are not so common as full-time positions in Thailand compared to the U.K where you are coming from. Also I doubt wether Thai employers are interested in your 'well being' compared to the U.K where people can be offered flexible hours of work.

As you mention, if your Thai is not fluent this could be an issue with Thai employers as they could perceive this as being a a problem for them - particularly if you're only going to be working part-time. It just depends I guess on what your going to be applying for. On the plus side there always to be plenty of jobs advertised for Thai people.

Yeah, if you can speak English and some Thai you could probably work at a foreigner bar - Khao san road etc., and they would probably be interested as there would be no wp issues. However, you would still need to find a job. As you suggest maybe working for Marriott or another hotel chain could be a good option as you have experience in this field and certainly coming from the U.K and being able to speak English would be a plus also, especially in hotels heavily populated by foreign tourists.

See if you could get a transfer through Marriott in the U.K to Bangkok as you're already working for them, if it's possible. Then you'd have a job in place already when you come here and no worries.

23 year old leuk kreung kid I know studied in the UK, got a degree in, International Business & Management, she has just secured a post grad job in the Uk for 26k per year.

Why would you want to study at Thamma?

Put simple, one of my parents had a gambling problem, financial issues plagued both my parents and now my mother wants to go back home to Thailand

You will find a job easily with your Mariott experience and your thai passport even with out speaking much thai- just set up a meeting with the big 5 star hotels in Bangkok- i bet you get several offers within a week; no problem at all.

• Like 2

Try the high end hotels first. It will look much better for your future CV than some Koaw San road dive.

If study in day then you can probable still manage a full time evening job in the 5* Hotel.

Hard work while study also looks good for future employers. Lots of rich kids go to uni and come out with zero work experience and no work ethics at all. When you graduate and you have work experience and proven work ethics to retain a full time job whilst also study; then you will be a cut above the completion in the jobs market.

Good luck to you.

Hopefully the silver lining of your family problems will have been to show you first hand dangers of such gambling activities and already spurred in you the ethics of self reliance and independence.

Try practice meditation while here too, observation of the breath cycle, can use it at all times, not just in a specific sitting moments, but all through work time etc; it helps with passing stress and long work hours.

• Like 1

23 year old leuk kreung kid I know studied in the UK, got a degree in, International Business & Management, she has just secured a post grad job in the Uk for 26k per year.

Put simple, one of my parents had a gambling problem, financial issues plagued both my parents and now my mother wants to go back home to Thailand

Wow, thanks for your honesty, certainly puts things into perspective, makes my problems appear trivial.

Best of luck to you.

I have two Thai friends who work in a large hotel in Bkk, they tell me all their work is conducted in English, even the computer system the hotel uses is all in English.

shushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

we dont work on our farms,,,,,,

i wish ide listen to that myself, been welding and bloody grinding all day to get my roto tiller to fit the tractor,, things you have to do,

but good fun,,,lol

you cant just go and buy a different size in length conector from the PTO to the roto tiller, you have to cut it down,

same for the top lincage conector, you have to cut a piece out the middle and weld it back together,

all good fun, and a lot of swearing,,,

Wow, thanks for your honesty, certainly puts things into perspective, makes my problems appear trivial.

Best of luck to you.

I have two Thai friends who work in a large hotel in Bkk, they tell me all their work is conducted in English, even the computer system the hotel uses is all in English.

Why bother lying? I've always appreciated honesty so I return it myself.

The gambling issue is the main problem which severely increases its damage and strengthens its grip on my family because of the economy. Unfortunately the damage is done, my parent will lose their house in 6 years estimated but can lose it at any time.

So my mum is going to go back to Thailand. I like to keep specifics quiet on who gambled, who has what problem etc as Its embarrassing and I'm ashamed of it. Also had some family hardships recently which caused major conflicts which have not fully healed. So Thailand would be a fresh new leaf for me. I need a new atmosphere and environment honestly, I've had enough of my family negativity, its been broken for a long time.

Its not easy watching one of your parents, as much as I hate to say this, slowly kill themselves through drinking, smoking, over-working and other negative bad habits.

I'm 21, I don't need this negativity, I want a better life than this. I want to afford education without sinking into the ocean of debt, I want a more positive environment and atmosphere etc. I understand I sound selfish but my mother offered me a chance, so I took it.

Edited by Ws93
  • Like 1

Your best bet for part-time work is hotel / teacher / real estate sales. Once you get your education done, then you should be able to find jobs of your interest in Thailand. It's just the Thai wages that you have to get used to.

Best of luck to you.

Why bother lying? I've always appreciated honesty so I return it myself.

The gambling issue is the main problem which severely increases its damage and strengthens its grip on my family because of the economy. Unfortunately the damage is done, my parent will lose their house in 6 years estimated but can lose it at any time.

So my mum is going to go back to Thailand. I like to keep specifics quiet on who gambled, who has what problem etc as Its embarrassing and I'm ashamed of it. Also had some family hardships recently which caused major conflicts which have not fully healed. So Thailand would be a fresh new leaf for me. I need a new atmosphere and environment honestly, I've had enough of my family negativity, its been broken for a long time.

Its not easy watching one of your parents, as much as I hate to say this, slowly kill themselves through drinking, smoking, over-working and other negative bad habits.

I'm 21, I don't need this negativity, I want a better life than this. I want to afford education without sinking into the ocean of debt, I want a more positive environment and atmosphere etc. I understand I sound selfish but my mother offered me a chance, so I took it.

Seems to me, that you have a good head on your shoulders and a healthy attitude plus some other good assets for a new start here.

I know you will do fine and wish you all the best mate!

thumbsup.gif

Edited by fstarbkk