Dad kills Thai son, hides body, says it was 'self-defence'

webfact

Dad kills son, hides body, says it was 'self-defence'
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A 62-year-old man confessed to police Sunday he killed his mentally-ill son in self-defence before going to great lengths to hide what he’d done.

Ruen Plangklang turned himself in to Nakhon Ratchasima police and admitted he twice hit his son Poonsak Plangklang, 35, on the neck with a wooden stick after his son attacked him on Sep. 1.

Ruen then stripped the deceased to erase signs of their struggle and hid the body in a forest in Soeng Sang district, which was discovered by police a day after.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/09/dad-kills-son-hides-body-says-it-was-self-defence

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-10

Another "cunning plan" goes wrong. I have to wonder at what diameter a stick becomes a lump of wood here in Thailand, certainly more than in oz where a 4x2" ain't a stick.

BTW he might have had a better shot at self-defence if he hadn't mentioned removing the clothes.

Edited by halloween
  • Like 2

It's tough enough when you have to kill someone in self-defense and there are no witnesses to back up your claim. It is doubly tough when you destroy the evidence (clothes) that might exonerate you. Then you hide the body... well, lets just say that some people are going to have a real hard time believing you. I hope, for the father's sake, that there is a long list of documented, violent outbursts from the, now deceased, son. Even then, what measures had the father taken to protect himself from the, allegedly, violent son? Excepting this is Thailand, this doesn't look too good for the father. In this happened in the US, I would say his chances of acquittal are nill.

• Like 1

I've known people who have been burdened with mentally ill and incurable offspring. It's no picnic. Because their expected to put on a brave face they will always smile and say they are Ok, getting by or doing alright. But their eyes tell a different story. People my age that look 20 years older than me because they have a mill stone around their neck 24/7/365. And in Australia there is way more support and benefits than in Thailand.

One kid I know of is now in his 20's and can be to much for his mother to handle when he goes off. He has the brain of a pea and the body of a normal 20 something male.

Euthanasia should be applied to many incurable mental patients. It would be the right thing to do.

• Like 2

Most perpetrators of killing in self defense don't strip and dispose of the body. However, TIT.

A 62 year old Thai man knows the Thai justice system inside out.

He was probably fraught with both grief and panic.....who knows what a person would do in this situation?

• Like 1

Easy to condemn the man but do we really know just what the sons true mental state and actions may have been that lead to this dreadful murder?

Self defense violent outburst by the boy on his father and possibly others too.

Remember there is no support system hers for those in the above situation patient or parent / family unit , treatment if actually seen or offered is on a par with that of the mentally afflicted in the 1800's in the U.K..

Yes, but why hiding the body in a forest? Is it normal behaviour? Edited by chongtak

Very sad story.

Some of us will give the father the benefit of the doubt that it was self-defence and some won't.

If it is self-defence then fair enough. Only problem is - you can't destroy evidence and try to hide the body after. That's still a crime even if it was self-defence.

The father may well know how currupt the police and justice system is here, but hiding the body because of this won't wash in a court of law.

Or, TIT and nobody will really care either way.

Unreal comments, I knew a father in our Village who killed his Autistic son last new year, he knew no one would help and his son was a very big man and extremely strong. The father was arrested, then as he wouldn,t eat, the Police let him go home where he starved himself to death.Grief is very powerful and some of the comments on TV are absolute the bottom of the cesspit.Grow up <deleted>.

• Like 2

"...in self-defence before going to great lengths to hide what he’d done."

Unless the forrest the body was discovered in - the next day - was at the other end of the country, I'd say he, or the writer, has a limited sense of "great lengths"!!!! Obviously never watched Breaking Bad!!! w00t.gif

We don't know how much the father might have suffered in the 10 years since his son was diagnosed and we also don't know what kind of mental illness the son had. I don't think we can be so quick to judge this 62 year old man, who probably had his son living with him all his life without any real professional help or support. If he was attacked he is entitled to defend himself by whatever means.

Perhaps, but we can certainly judge him to be an idiot for thinking that attempting to cover up the death in such a half-assed way was something he'd get away with.

I've known people who have been burdened with mentally ill and incurable offspring. It's no picnic. Because their expected to put on a brave face they will always smile and say they are Ok, getting by or doing alright. But their eyes tell a different story. People my age that look 20 years older than me because they have a mill stone around their neck 24/7/365. And in Australia there is way more support and benefits than in Thailand.

One kid I know of is now in his 20's and can be to much for his mother to handle when he goes off. He has the brain of a pea and the body of a normal 20 something male.

Euthanasia should be applied to many incurable mental patients. It would be the right thing to do.

In the animal world, he would have been starved out, beat up and eventually killed.

End-of-relationshi_650_zps24d830ac.jpg

I maybe a bit slow this morning, would you care to explain.

Dad kills Thai son,- you get that- right?

So there was obviously a family relation. You got that too? Great!

He kills his son and hides the body...

Now if that needs further explanation, have another coffee

End-of-relationshi_650_zps24d830ac.jpg

I maybe a bit slow this morning, would you care to explain.

Dad kills Thai son,- you get that- right?

So there was obviously a family relation. You got that too? Great!

He kills his son and hides the body...

Now if that needs further explanation, have another coffee

Minus what ever you put in yours.

• Like 1

I believe that was also the nazi solution. Society should take care of all its citizens, to adopt the approach you advocate will lead nowhere good.

• Like 1