Basic Question

TBWG

Hi

My HP laptop has stopped working and the only sign of life is the 3 indicator lights which are flashing non stop, does this mean battery needs replacing, it is about 3 years old.

Thanks

TBWG :o

Hi

My HP laptop has stopped working and the only sign of life is the 3 indicator lights which are flashing non stop, does this mean battery needs replacing, it is about 3 years old.

Thanks

TBWG :o

It's quite possible that the battery has died and the PSU can't get any charge into it.

Try removing the battery and see if you can get it to go on mains power alone, if it runs then, time to replace the battery, if it still won't start we need to look elsewhere.

Hi

Thanks

TBWG :D

It's quite possible that the battery has died and the PSU can't get any charge into it.

Try removing the battery and see if you can get it to go on mains power alone, if it runs then, time to replace the battery, if it still won't start we need to look elsewhere.

Hi Crossy

If I try to run it on mains power only without the battery then it is completely dead, think it needs battery to complete circuit.

If I put battery back and connect to mains it still does same thing i.e. all 3 lights flash but everything else is dead! :o

Any Ideas TBWG :D

PS Have just seen Astrals posting, don't recall having a manual so will check website to see if it helps.

If I try to run it on mains power only without the battery then it is completely dead, think it needs battery to complete circuit.

If I put battery back and connect to mains it still does same thing i.e. all 3 lights flash but everything else is dead! :o

Hmmm, IIRC I've not come across a laptop that will NOT run without the battery.

I suspect your PSU is dead. The 3 lights flashing may well be the 'flat battery' indication as your batt is now totally discharged (do the lights still flash with the mains off?).

Does the PSU have an indicator light? Is it on (yes, the output wire may be broken)?

If you have a voltmeter check the output of the PSU, normally 15-25V DC depending on model (it will say on the PSU somewhere).

Hmmm, IIRC I've not come across a laptop that will NOT run without the battery.

I suspect your PSU is dead. The 3 lights flashing may well be the 'flat battery' indication as your batt is now totally discharged (do the lights still flash with the mains off?).

Does the PSU have an indicator light? Is it on (yes, the output wire may be broken)?

If you have a voltmeter check the output of the PSU, normally 15-25V DC depending on model (it will say on the PSU somewhere).

Hi Crossy

Thanks for taking time to reply.

PSU indicator light on., however laptop indicator lights momentarily flicker when output lead is attached with no battery installed, this leads me to believe PSU ok. but there is no other signs of life.

With battery installed all lights flicker but no other signs of life, if I then plug in PSU nothing changes?

Users guide is no help, have tried to find info on web, although it seems to be a common problem with Packard Bell Verso E400 all the tech talk is over my head.

Any ideas or maybe a trip to menders is due!

TBWG :D