"Real" motorcycle rentals in Phuket

willyumiii

I have a couple of buddies coming over from California for a visit who are real bike enthusiast, as I once was..

We would like to rent some larger bikes to tool around on for about a week.

Real motorcycles, not scooters,. something that puts a gas tank between your knees.

We will probably be going to Phuket, maybe patong (sp?) beach area.

I have looked on the internet and only find Honda 110-125cc scooters or the equivalent for rent.

Six or seven years ago I was able to rent Honda 650 or 750 Phantoms ( I think it was called).

I believe I read about a place that rents Harleys about a year ago, but again, I can't seem to find one on the internet.

One more question:

Are bike rentals open to the same scamming nightmare I read about with jet skis in this area?

Any advice on avoiding trouble with scammers?

6 or 7 years ago my experience was great....bike delivered to my hotel, picked up when I was finished with it, good, reasonable price, no problems at all.

Thanks in advance

( I'll take my answers" on the air") 555

Edited by willyumiii

I had some mates over last year. Two corporate accountants, one fund manager and a lawyer. All mad tourers. My solution, rather than rent, I went to the (then) Lifan dealer in Phuket Town (now stallions dealer) and bought four Lifan 200 cross bikes. By memory the price of each bike was just over 1300 or 1400 dollars each. We thrashed around for a month and then sold them on for about 1000 dollars each. Could have got more if we didn't fire sale them. On Mae Luan Road in Phuket town, near the big yellow Cockpit tyre place you will find both the Stallions dealer and then across the road the Keeway and Mbike dealer. Stallions have just released the new cafe racer bike which looks...and sounds great. The Mbike is a good enduro looking gadget. All of them retail for well under two grand. You will have a lot more fun if you are all riding the same bike, and if you break one, no harm done just walk away. Anyway that is my suggestion.

I've known Nicky for many years, nice guy. I think he mostly does his motorcycle tours as he wants supervision and mechanics along in case of any problems on the road with his rather expensive classic bike collection. I don't know that he will just rent them out to anyone on their own.

Depends whether you want Harley style (in which case, the Swedish guy is the place to go) or the bigger road bikes, if so there's a place in Rawai opposite the end of soi Cockmakham (not the Nikita Bar end) which hires out these kind of bikes.

On Soi Sai Yuan and near Chokmakham? It was Mike's Bikes, I think he's a forum member, but I for some reason thought they moved. Maybe not, I don't turn right that often from Cokmakham onto Sai Yuan, usually left away from the police trap.

I know there are big bike rentals in Phuket. I would often see the bikes and their tourist riders lying in intersections or in ditches as I drove by. "Hey. lets go to Thailand, get hammered and drive superbikes way to fast. You can do anything in Thailand that you want and were tourists so were immortal anyway..." Thats why I dont respond to the frequent R.I.P tourist posts...

Depends whether you want Harley style (in which case, the Swedish guy is the place to go) or the bigger road bikes, if so there's a place in Rawai opposite the end of soi Cockmakham (not the Nikita Bar end) which hires out these kind of bikes.

On Soi Sai Yuan and near Chokmakham? It was Mike's Bikes, I think he's a forum member, but I for some reason thought they moved. Maybe not, I don't turn right that often from Cokmakham onto Sai Yuan, usually left away from the police trap.

Soi Cokmakham doesn't connect with Sai Yuan at any point. The guy with the big road bikes is an Englishman called Tony.

"Any advice on avoiding trouble with scammers?"

Yes there is a french guy with a shop in Karon you will want to avoid. I can't name names per Thaivisa policy and Thai law, but you can PM me for the info.

I have rented from Bernard at Green Valley Resort in Rawai and Tony's Big Bike Tours also in Rawai with little hassle. There are a couple of big bike rental shops along Visit Rd in Rawai, one mentioned above is on the left after Soi Saiyuan going south, the other is a bit further on the right on the other side of the Soi Mongosteen hill. Near the entrance to Le Meridian bewteen Karon and Patong is Jonton motorbikes

Stay away from the Patong beach road renters.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

yes it does connect at a tee junction , where the swiss bakery is or was ..right opposite that is the place ...on the right a little..

That's not Sai Yuan, it's the continuation of Visit Rd.

for those that live in rawai , we all refer to that soi as sai yuan ..however if you wish to follow a google map ,then you could argue that in fact its called another un named road, which looks like it extends from the end of viset rd, but with a different road ref number ... in order to find the bike shop we need to give directions from planet earth not mars . So soi cockmakham is the ref point still, where it meets the soi formally known as soi sai yuan , or on mars the extension of viset rd ...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

yes it does connect at a tee junction , where the swiss bakery is or was ..right opposite that is the place ...on the right a little..

That's not Sai Yuan, it's the continuation of Visit Rd.

for those that live in rawai , we all refer to that soi as sai yuan ..however if you wish to follow a google map ,then you could argue that in fact its called another un named road, which looks like it extends from the end of viset rd, but with a different road ref number ... in order to find the bike shop we need to give directions from planet earth not mars . So soi cockmakham is the ref point still, where it meets the soi formally known as soi sai yuan , or on mars the extension of viset rd ...

No WE don't all refer to it as Sai Yuan (I've lived in Rawai for 12 years) Sai Yuan runs from the traffic lights on Visit Rd. to the 3-way intersection by Gig's Jam Club, most people who live in Rawai know this.

As you rightly said Tony's bike hire shop is slightly to the right opposite the end of Soi Cockmakham where it meets the road that has NEVER been known as Sai Yuan because it isn't Sai Yuan. Got it now? Calm down. tongue.png

You got to love TV!!

I start a thread about renting real motorcycles in Phuket.

I get a few very helpful replies...thanks for those.

But...it only takes a bout a dozen replies before grumpy old farts degenerate it into petty arguments about street names, what they are and what they were!

Don't really care about your street names..I couldn't name one street in Phuket...I live way north of BKK!

A business name and maybe a website wold be great..

Now, why don't you cranky old guys take your meds, have a drink or whatever it takes for you to chill and go ruin another thread with your useless arguments

Thanks again to those who replied with helpful, on topic information!.

• Like 2

So anyway, are you looking for Harleys or road bikes? I always take my meds in the evening (it's been a habit of mine since the 60s).

I'll call in at Tony's tomorrow and get the information you need, if you want to hire road bikes. Let me know ASAP.

(Sorry for digressing about the Rawai Sois, I tried to give you some helpful in formation and I thought it was important that the directions were correct but was sidetracked, it's all part of being in a forum.

Chill. wink.png

I would recommend one , located btw Chalong and Rawai (on your left hand when going to Rawai, up to the hill).

There are Harley , and other big bikes.

The guy (a swede I believe) is honest, and that is a rarity.

I can vouch for him as well, Im pretty sure his missus actually owns the bikes, I rented a harley for the day a while back, just used the wifes ID card and all was good, no scamming or hidden costs on return.