Another Skype query

evadgib

Hi All,

I continue to encounter probs when talking to my elderly parents in UK. Everywhere else is fine. At the UK end a message indicated a prob with 'Realtek'. Can anyone please offer a solution?

My gut feeling is that BT are supplying a slower speed than they're paying for. If we turn off our cameras we are at least able to talk, but would prefer visual (Grandchildren an' all that).

Edited by evadgib

Same problem but just talking to others in Thailand. Happens a lot. It's the Internet speed or a poor connection between any of a long line is servers in between. Not much can be done except pay for higher speeds but that does not guarantee anything either. Excessive rain and flooding will cause problems too. Even solar flares like the one we just had.

And yes it could be they need updated drivers for their computer.

Edited by Mrjlh

Very simple using video chat on Skype uses lots of bandwidth. May I suggest after introductory vision and hello's both parties should turn the video function OFF.

This is only necessary when your connection is subject to speed issues.

Another trick if you make a call and you get a poor connection tell the other party you will call back. Another connection a minute later will be routed differently and often will be substantially better.

Skype is fantastic for travellers and those living away from family and loved ones.

I had no problems with Skype...voice only....until an update about 6 weeks ago which I can't install for some unknown reason.

Since then my speaking partner, usually UK and Germany, have problems hearing me; blurred and intermittent. I can hear them fine. Frustrating...have had to break off some calls.

Sounds probable that you may have the wrong mic selected.

If you can do the test call to the Skype server's in England you will hear the voice quality from your mic. Do the same from a smart phone or a friends notebook at your place. That way you can check the internet capabilities from your usual access point.

Sometimes the quick and easy Skype upgrades don't work.. Just download Skype to your pc and do an install. Up to you whether to uninstall the old version. Should not be necessary however.

Please let us know how you get on.

Sent from my GT-N7100 on CM11 and the latest nightly

Edited by Bunter

No don't do that... Your credits belong to that user and absolutely makes no difference to the connection whatsoever.

I would uninstall Skype run ccleaner and use that program to uninstall.. Run ccleaner then reboot and reinstall Skype it will take all the default settings. That's the best long term issue if the test call is unsatisfactory.

If you have a windows pc then Tools, Options, Audio Settings - half way down the page there is an option to make a free test call..

Good luck..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk