3bb 13Mb/s package - Router recommendations needed

gessi2000

Hello,

I am going to subscribe a 1year contract with 3bb for a 13Mbs package but would like to use a proper router device instead of the 3bb stuff.

Are there any recommendations from you who can confirm it works stable?

Should it be a ADSL2+ router with or without modem?

Not sure if the 3bb device comes with a separate Modem or if the Modem is included in the router?

I would like to have some 1Gb/s LAN ports in the router to attach a NAS device to it.

Here is a good one

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/adsl-networking/asus/dsl-n55u-dual-band-wireless-n600-gigabit-adsl-modem-router-p009872/

or here is the whole list (any ADSL 2+ one is good enough)

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/adsl-networking/

I always bought my own routers and never used the one supplied by the provider.

Wow! Thanks a lot that was exactly what I was looking for :-)

The 4-port wifi router supplied sold by 3BB is actually quite good and the modem part also works well. They do a cheaper 1-port model for those who dont need wifi etc or who have their own router.

I use the 3BB router in bridge mode for the ADSL connection and my own gigabit VPN router for routing and wifi. That way if lightning strikes the cheap 3BB router will die and my router probably wont.

The 4-port wifi router supplied sold by 3BB is actually quite good and the modem part also works well. They do a cheaper 1-port model for those who dont need wifi etc or who have their own router.

I use the 3BB router in bridge mode for the ADSL connection and my own gigabit VPN router for routing and wifi. That way if lightning strikes the cheap 3BB router will die and my router probably wont.

+1 on this. It will give you the most stable connection.

The weakness with most multi-function devices with built in ADSL modem is that if the hardware resources on the router become briefly overwhelmed by network activity it will drop the ADSL sync and often require a reboot to get going again. Bridge mode avoids this problem.

I hooked up with 3BB 10mB, which I've been using the past two years in other locations.

I avoided their modem and got myself a D-Link Wireless N300 ADSL2+ modem router. ฿1200.00.

​Set it up this morning and it goes like a charm. Watching some TV ex UK, running email. Good gear.

I tried two versions of D-Link combo router and WiFi and another touted brand. All three could not penetrate my concrete innerwalls of home.

Got a new 3bb router WiFi combo, in one box, and it works GREAT. Good WiFi all over and good performance overall...... 4 sockets. Cheap and 3bb sends two men to my house to make anything broken work again, will not take tips, and no charge. Satisfied customer in Nakhon Pathom. wai.gif

• Like 1

I’ve been using the router that 3BB supplied for nearly 4 years and haven’t really noticed any problems.

In what way would my Internet experience be enhanced by spending around 2000 Bht on another router?

Would there really be any noticeable improvements?

Edited by mrjohn
  • Like 1

Yes another vote for the 3 BB .... router. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I use the 900 baht plan with have the 4 port one....I am using now for IPTV and watching that with virtually no problems... excellent HD quality.

It also works well for watching TV directly off the net, with Hola...

Wifi or using second port at same time does not seem to deteriorate the signal...wink.png

I've been with them in their previous guises for over seven years and have had only one problem with the supplied equipment - and that was replaced at no cost and with the offer of a technician setting it up and checking the whole system. For Baht 631.30 a month it keeps this technodinosaur happy... biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

• Like 2

I’ve been using the router that 3BB supplied for nearly 4 years and haven’t really noticed any problems.

In what way would my Internet experience be enhanced by spending around 2000 Bht on another router?

In normal domestic use? Not at all.

I use a more sophisticated router because I need to do more complex things with it, but that's all. If I didn't need to do those things I would not have one.

I also have the 3BB Billion combo DSL router with WiFi and a 4 port switch built-in.. Been using it for about 3 years now and it works just fine...It is easy to configure and has some diagnostic capabilities... I also just signed up for a year of 10Mb service as I decided to use my own name on the account having recently moved..I was a little mad that I was being forced to pay a year in advance but as it turns out you get a discount which dropped my monthly rate to 588 Baht from the standard 631 baht I was paying when the account was in my exgf name..631 baht is the total for the 10Mb 599baht service after you add in the 7% VAT...

Now I am curious about the OP's 13Mb service, why 13Mb? and what is your monthly rate if you take the total for one year and divide it by 12...smile.png

Now I am curious about the OP's 13Mb service, why 13Mb? and what is your monthly rate if you take the total for one year and divide it by 12...smile.png

I have the 13Mbps service, for about 4-5 years now, and the cost per month all inclusive is 963 Baht.

I have a Cisco/Linksys WAG120N wireless router with ADSL2+ and 4 Ethernet ports. Have been using it for over 3 years and is on 24/7 and works very well. Our entire house (2 story) is wireless and connects through this.

WAG120N%20Left.png

I had that same one, biggest peice of junk ever.

The 3bb equipment is way better than that, ASUS good as well.

LinkSYS are the bottom of the barrel as far as I can see.

Hopelessly outdated by the other companies since they were taken over by Cisco.

A lightning strike took mine out a few months back (thank god), giving me an excuse to upgrade to an ASUS RT150+ router (about 750bht), and using the original 3bb modem.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

In normal domestic use? Not at all.

I use a more sophisticated router because I need to do more complex things with it, but that's all. If I didn't need to do those things I would not have one.

It would be helpful if you could expand on this.

What exactly are more complex things your router does that the standard one issued with 3BB doesn’t do?

You see, whenever this topic crops up (and it seems to crop up frequently), the advice is always, "don’t use the one supplied by the ISP."

I would just like somebody to spell out to me what the advantages of a more sophisticated router are.

My current modem/router is a D-Link, DSL-2750U

Works great as a router, minimal drops. The plus for me is that it has a USB 3G modem option, which automatically switches to the 3G connection when you have one of those inexplicable Thai DSL outages...and Yes, regardless of which provider you have, they will happen!

Now I am curious about the OP's 13Mb service, why 13Mb?

I also pay extra for the 13Mbs service which actually gives me about 17Mbs. I did this not for the higher download speed but for the higher upload speed as the 0.5Mbs that comes with the cheaper package is a bit slow for my needs (VOIP and FTP and VNC). The 1Mbs up speed I get with the more expensive package is enough, though I would not complain if they gave me more.

I would just like somebody to spell out to me what the advantages of a more sophisticated router are.

Bittorrent and NAS functions built in on modern routers (USB HD plugs right in).

Run your network and downloads without the main PC on, is very handy.

View your home network and files, with streaming media, anywhere in the world.

You can also create different user accounts and restrict access and bandwidth to different users at the same time.

So examples, no internet for the kids, 9pm to 8am, or the neighbours can use for browsing but not for downloading.

The ASUS router (55) specified earlier, does all of this.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I have the 13Mbps service, for about 4-5 years now, and the cost per month all inclusive is 963 Baht.

That's exactly the reason why I would like to choose the 13Mbs option as I want to stream live TV from my German Home's VuPlus Duo2 Satellite receiver (Upload is real 12Mbs from Germany) to my Pattaya Condo and I heard the 10Mbs is the basic option and some problems with streams could appear.

It would be helpful if you could expand on this.

What exactly are more complex things your router does that the standard one issued with 3BB doesnt do?

My pleasure. Though as the poet said, if you don't know what it is you probably don't need it.

My home network is gigabit. So ideally I want a gigabit router for that (though a cheap gigibit switch would do most of the job fairly well also). Having a router with gigabit ports usually means that the processor and other parts are also somewhat more powerful than on a 100Mbs model, and so are less likely to fall over if heavy demands are made on them (ie many simultaneous data connections).

I sometimes need to connect to business VPNs and my router can handle most of this itself, with dynamic DNS support.

My router can work with two different internet connections without me needing to unplug/configure anything, which can be convenient if one goes down.

My router handles QOS (quality of service) very well, which allows me to allocate more bandwidth for specific things like VOIP phone calls or (much more importantly) to stop my internet radio from buffering during my afternoon nap.

So as I said, nothing that the average domestic user is likely to need. If the router that 3BB supply wasnt up to the average user's requirements then they really would not supply it.

• Like 1

That's exactly the reason why I would like to choose the 13Mbs option as I want to stream live TV from my German Home's VuPlus Duo2 Satellite receiver (Upload is real 12Mbs from Germany) to my Pattaya Condo and I heard the 10Mbs is the basic option and some problems with streams could appear.

It won't work, 13gbs is internal to Thailand only, from other countries you'll be lucky to get 1gbs.

In fact from other countries 3BB tends to have the same (slow) transfer speed on all their accounts.

It won't work, 13gbs is internal to Thailand only, from other countries you'll be lucky to get 1gbs.

In fact from other countries 3BB tends to have the same (slow) transfer speed on all their accounts.

So what can I do?

So what can I do?

Well, while it's true that the connection speed you will achieve for international connections will not be the intra Thai speed, but in general most of us get considerably more than 1 Mbps. Generally you can get something in the 4-7 Mbps range, good enough to stream HD streams from Netflix etc. That being said it's hugely variable, given time of day, alignment of the stars and the mental state of your local monk!

Edited by GinBoy2

Testing using multiple speedtest sites including dnsreports. Ping indicates no ISP caching. This is 3BB 13Mbps package and rarely have streaming problems from overseas. As mentioned, your mileage may vary depending on your location and contention ratio of your connection.

Chiang Mai - San Francisco (adslthailand speedtest)

Ping: 261ms

D/U - 10685kbps/1011kbps

Chiang Mai - Los Angeles (dnsreports)

Ping: 254ms

D/U - 7977kbps/1025kbps

Chiang Mai - Munich (Ookla)

Ping 345ms

D/U - 7.69Mbps/.90Mbps

Testing using multiple speedtest sites including dnsreports. Ping indicates no ISP caching. This is 3BB 13Mbps package and rarely have streaming problems from overseas. As mentioned, your mileage may vary depending on your location and contention ratio of your connection.

Chiang Mai - San Francisco (adslthailand speedtest)

Ping: 261ms

D/U - 10685kbps/1011kbps

Chiang Mai - Los Angeles (dnsreports)

Ping: 254ms

D/U - 7977kbps/1025kbps

Chiang Mai - Munich (Ookla)

Ping 345ms

D/U - 7.69Mbps/.90Mbps

Thanks! Munich is my home nearby...

That looks reasonable ;-)

My home network is gigabit. So ideally I want a gigabit router for that (though a cheap gigibit switch would do most of the job fairly well also). Having a router with gigabit ports usually means that the processor and other parts are also somewhat more powerful than on a 100Mbs model, and so are less likely to fall over if heavy demands are made on them (ie many simultaneous data connections).

Even if your home network is gigabit, you don't need a gigabit router unless your Internet connection is also gigabit. If you've designed your network such that you're routing your internal LAN (local area network) traffic through your router, you've made a mistake. Instead you should use a gigabit switch and connect your router to that. In this case the person has a 13 Mbps broadband connection and thus any decent budget router will do. Also, you need to differentiate between switching and routing -- routing gigabit traffic is a big deal, but switching it is not. Again, in this case a 13 Mbps is nothing to worry about given a decent budget router with sufficient memory.

I sometimes need to connect to business VPNs and my router can handle most of this itself, with dynamic DNS support.

Switching between different VPNs is typically easier on the computer since 1) the user interface is better and 2) you're not affecting the other clients connected to the network. Dynamic DNS is only relevant if you're connecting from the outside in, i.e. from the Internet to your VPN server.

Edited by kaydee412
  • Like 1