3bb 13Mb/s package - Router recommendations needed

gessi2000

I sometimes need to connect to business VPNs and my router can handle most of this itself, with dynamic DNS support.

Switching between different VPNs is typically easier on the computer since 1) the user interface is better and 2) you're not affecting the other clients connected to the network. Dynamic DNS is only relevant if you're connecting from the outside in, i.e. from the Internet to your VPN server.

I am also using a VPN client (HMA as they offer wide variety of server locations) from my computer and Android so no need to have the tunnel created from the router itself...

My home network is gigabit. So ideally I want a gigabit router for that (though a cheap gigibit switch would do most of the job fairly well also). Having a router with gigabit ports usually means that the processor and other parts are also somewhat more powerful than on a 100Mbs model, and so are less likely to fall over if heavy demands are made on them (ie many simultaneous data connections).

Even if your home network is gigabit, you don't need a gigabit router unless your Internet connection is also gigabit. If you've designed your network such that you're routing your internal LAN (local area network) traffic through your router, you've made a mistake. Instead you should use a gigabit switch and connect your router to that. In this case the person has a 13 Mbps broadband connection and thus any decent budget router will do. Also, you need to differentiate between switching and routing -- routing gigabit traffic is a big deal, but switching it is not. Again, in this case a 13 Mbps is nothing to worry about given a decent budget router with sufficient memory.

I sometimes need to connect to business VPNs and my router can handle most of this itself, with dynamic DNS support.

Switching between different VPNs is typically easier on the computer since 1) the user interface is better and 2) you're not affecting the other clients connected to the network. Dynamic DNS is only relevant if you're connecting from the outside in, i.e. from the Internet to your VPN server.

You have absolutely no idea what my requirements are.

Routers are all the same ...

No, they aren't.

No they are not, and more especially if we're talking DSL Modem/Router combo even worse.

In my opinion the modem is the more variable in terms of performance. The 'router' side is in my opinion, more a case of features; dual band, range, VPN, 3G modem etc. The modem side is what can really be pain in ass. Case in point I had a Cisco X2000 some years back, couldn't hold sync for more than a couple of hours and needed hard reset to re-sync. Firmware updates, countless (pointless) calls with customer support still junk. Swapped it out with D-Link, never a problem again.

Personally I also use another router attached to my D-Link, which I run as a dedicated VPN network in my house

You have absolutely no idea what my requirements are.

No need to be so hard on yourself -- your explanation wasn't that bad, granted you seem a bit confused about routing performance and the relevance of dynamic DNS with respect to outbound VPN connections. Please feel free to try again.

I just saw that the 3BB router is a Huawei 3bb-4pwn.

It seems to me that this router has no settings for any DynDns provider? Can someone confirm please as I need this absolutely and don't to have any other always running device behind the router to to update my IP?

I also have the 3BB Billion combo DSL router with WiFi and a 4 port switch built-in.. Been using it for about 3 years now and it works just fine...It is easy to configure and has some diagnostic capabilities... I also just signed up for a year of 10Mb service as I decided to use my own name on the account having recently moved..I was a little mad that I was being forced to pay a year in advance but as it turns out you get a discount which dropped my monthly rate to 588 Baht from the standard 631 baht I was paying when the account was in my exgf name..631 baht is the total for the 10Mb 599baht service after you add in the 7% VAT...

Now I am curious about the OP's 13Mb service, why 13Mb? and what is your monthly rate if you take the total for one year and divide it by 12...smile.png

Yes,the 1 year option gives you 2 months free against the monthly deal,but if you go away regularly for more than 2 months,you can cancel the monthly deal and ring when you get back and they reinstate it.

The only issue I have with the 3BB Router is the fact that my download speeds on the two other machines around the house are painfully slow.

I put this down to the fact that they are very old machines, which I use mostly for watching downloaded TV.

Does anybody know if I would see a significant improvement if I were to buy a new Router, e.g. the D-Link, DSL-2750E which is well within my budget?

DSL-2750E is the one that everybody buys now because it's one of the cheapest, around 1000 thb.

But I did not see any difference between the dozen modems I bought until now, at least if you buy a famous brand.

What people do not know is that a modem must be changed every few years because they hardly completely die but get less reliable with time.