Kremlin hits back at Thai Immigration's out-in visa ban

webfact

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how exactly is the Russian government 'hitting back'? What a piece of garbage journalism.

Need some glasses?

“According to Paragraph 1 of a bilateral intergovernmental agreement [between Russia and Thailand], Russian tourists are allowed to enter Thailand for up to 30 days, after which they must leave the country, [but] the number of entries is not limited.”

i.e. they can do in and outs as many times as they wish.

I think this is the case with all/most countries. I think it's still allowed as long as you're a genuine tourist. What they are clamping down on is people using this to work illegally in the country.

• Like 1

Entry into Thailand (or anywhere else) is always at the discretion of the immigration officer. They don't need to give any reason for refusing entry no matter what the Kremlin might believe.

They have a contract with Russia. If they brake this contract Russia can also change the Visa rules for Thais.

• Like 2

So how exactly is the Russian government 'hitting back'? What a piece of garbage journalism.

Need some glasses?

“According to Paragraph 1 of a bilateral intergovernmental agreement [between Russia and Thailand], Russian tourists are allowed to enter Thailand for up to 30 days, after which they must leave the country, [but] the number of entries is not limited.”

I think this is the case with all/most countries. I think it's still allowed as long as you're a genuine tourist. What they are clamping down on is people using this to work illegally in the country.

Which was already in the rules - they are always allowed to ask to see hotel booking, money and proof of already booked onward travel.

The problem I think is they may be just denying entry without asking these questions first.

eg, A few years ago I was working in Singapore monday to friday, then returning to my home and family here. Yes, in hindsight I probably should have changed visa to marriage visa - but the immigration department themselves advised just going to tourist entry each weekend????

Entry into Thailand (or anywhere else) is always at the discretion of the immigration officer. They don't need to give any reason for refusing entry no matter what the Kremlin might believe.

They have a contract with Russia. If they brake this contract Russia can also change the Visa rules for Thais.

A contract??? Russia is not exactly a good place to go vacation for Thais or anyone

• Like 1

“If we believe their purpose in coming to Thailand is not what they say it is, then we will order them to leave and they will be blacklisted.

They will not be able to return to Thailand, ever.”

If we do not believe?

For what reason is there then the blacklisting?

That sounds like arbitrariness, according to there daily mood.

Yes, the rules are based on personal judgement and belief and not actual prof of any kind. Its a total personal decision based on the immigration officers feeling and belief in the situation. Maybe that is why so much attention is put on the word "luck" here :-) Crossing borders is just like playing the lottery. Nothing called "benefit of the doubt" here.

Good luck to all :-)

Edited by khunpa

Need some glasses?

Right, because they are too lazy and incompetent to go out and actually catch them working