Kremlin hits back at Thai Immigration's out-in visa ban

webfact

Tatsujin, on 12 Sept 2014 - 10:23, said:
orosee, on 12 Sept 2014 - 09:41, said:
Tatsujin, on 11 Sept 2014 - 19:14, said:
edwardandtubs, on 11 Sept 2014 - 19:03, said:

So how exactly is the Russian government 'hitting back'? What a piece of garbage journalism.

Need some glasses?

According to Paragraph 1 of a bilateral intergovernmental agreement [between Russia and Thailand], Russian tourists are allowed to enter Thailand for up to 30 days, after which they must leave the country, [but] the number of entries is not limited.

i.e. they can do in and outs as many times as they wish.

Yeah that's not what most people understand when they read "hit back."

That's like literally getting hit in the face and "retaliating" by saying "you're not supposed to do that."

So the poster is quite right, a sensationalist headline with nothing to back it up in the text. Garbage journalism.

OK, let's get this straight. For you, "hitting back" is a literal thing, not figuratively.

In "Diplomacy", publicly pointing out inaccuracies in what the people on the opposite side think/say/do IS "hitting back".

For you, "hitting back" means Putin should invade and annex Thailand in response to the Thai's ignoring a clause in an agreement made between the two countries? Is that right? Is that "hitting back" enough?

Rubbish, both on your definition of "hitting back," show me where you get YOUR definition, and secondly, no-one even mentioned Russia should invade or annexe Thailand.... use some sense.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Russia really "Hit Back" , I'd say the potential war on their border and EU and US sanctions may be stealing their attention Don't want to test them too much though or they'll be shooting Thai airways out of the sky

They can forbid thier citizens from Traveling to Thailand or ban Thai airlines from flying over Russian territory ( they have already threatened to ban airlines if US and EU puts any more sanctions on them.) Could also restrict or ban tourists from Thailand to enter Russia or seize Thai business asstes in Russia.

Who cares about that stuff, I don't.

Suradit69, on 12 Sept 2014 - 12:08, said:
AGareth2, on 11 Sept 2014 - 19:15, said:

good to see a western country standing up for it's citizens

wish mine would

Not sure how "western" Russia is, but I would say that Thailand was standing up to a bully who has found itself an international pariah. And then Russia, who has no shortage of critics at the moment, chooses to make a rather pathetic response and chooses to make it to a country that seems the least threatening. "Western" is not a synonym for "pale complexioned."

If there is a decline in Russian tourists it probably has more to do with economic issues than any feeble comment from "the Kremlin" to a Thai immigrations policy.

I don't think standing up to Russia has anything to do with it, the point here is Thailand has treaty with Russia, and according to Russia, Thailand is in breach of said treaty, this, on an international stage, would bring into disrepute any treaty Thailand has signed, in other words, why would ANY nation TRUST Thailand.

Suradit69, on 12 Sept 2014 - 12:08, said:
AGareth2, on 11 Sept 2014 - 19:15, said:

good to see a western country standing up for it's citizens

wish mine would

Not sure how "western" Russia is, but I would say that Thailand was standing up to a bully who has found itself an international pariah. And then Russia, who has no shortage of critics at the moment, chooses to make a rather pathetic response and chooses to make it to a country that seems the least threatening. "Western" is not a synonym for "pale complexioned."

If there is a decline in Russian tourists it probably has more to do with economic issues than any feeble comment from "the Kremlin" to a Thai immigrations policy.

I don't think standing up to Russia has anything to do with it, the point here is Thailand has treaty with Russia, and according to Russia, Thailand is in breach of said treaty, this, on an international stage, would bring into disrepute any treaty Thailand has signed, in other words, why would ANY nation TRUST Thailand.

Heeeeeeeeeey, I think even Russians must have the correct visa for a go-go bar......coffee1.gif

simondan, on 12 Sept 2014 - 15:10, said:
Equalizer, on 12 Sept 2014 - 13:45, said:
cyborgx, on 12 Sept 2014 - 11:20, said:
Equalizer, on 12 Sept 2014 - 09:18, said:

In all fairness, the Thai authorities should not be dictating what a tourist should be. At the end of the day if you are in this country and you are not working, you do the border runs, you abide by the rules etc what is the problem. ''If they really want to travel around the country for more than 30 days, then they must show us a plausible plan''. WHY? There may be no grand plan! this is pure paranoia. ''If we believe their purpose in coming to Thailand is not what they say it is, then we will order them to leave and they will be blacklisted. They will not be able to return to Thailand, ever.” So if a guy says i want to stay here for a year or two spend my money and have a good time this warrants a life time ban? What are these people thinking, it it totally bizarre. If they work ban them, fine but don't tarnish everyone with the same brush.

In their eyes you are not a TOURIST if you constantly do back to back iout-ins, and its THEIR MEANING when they wrote the laws that is important, not yours or anybody else's definition.

And this person who wants to spend 2 years or so here, why would the Thai government WANT to LET him star for 2 years or so?

Because he's spending money? How much? They have no way of knowing or controlling it, so the guy could be a pauper and come live on the streets for 2 years, then overstay.. etc etc... as has happened in the past.

They have set their minimum FINANCIAL requirements and given various ways to fulfill them.

showing 800K investment/living expenses in the bank and or minimum regular income for Retireees

10M invested in government bonds, government bank TD, and I believe property too.

1-2M and annual 20K for Elite Card

If he doesn't meet any of those requirements, is not married to a Thai, has no job and is not here for his education (or any of the more obscure Visa options), then THEY DON'T WANT HIM HERE (no matter how much YOU believe he should be allowed to stay).

The point i am making is who are you or anyone else including Thailand to dictate what a definition of a tourist is? I told you in the post.

At the end of the day if you are in this country and you are not working, you do the border runs, you abide by the rules etc what is the problem.

You are doing border runs precisely because you are not wanting a marriage visa, multiple entry visa, Ed Visa, Elite card, You say this person who wants to spend 2 years or so here, ''why would the Thai government WANT to LET him star for 2 years or so''? Well why not? He is spending HIS MONEY here, Your argument that all people who do border runs will end up on the street begging is ludicrous. I know people who was passing through on their way to Australia and never got there, spent a year or two here blowing all their dosh.

Sovereign nations have the right to define terms how they want. All legislation does this. Its par for the course.

If you think its hard now in the LOS, try being a Thai wanting to come to, say, Australia, on a tourist visa. That will really give you something to whinge about.

Never had a problem getting my gf/wife to Australia, on a tourist visa, so am not sure what you are talking about

Tatsujin, on 12 Sept 2014 - 10:23, said:

orosee, on 12 Sept 2014 - 09:41, said:

Tatsujin, on 11 Sept 2014 - 19:14, said:

edwardandtubs, on 11 Sept 2014 - 19:03, said:

So how exactly is the Russian government 'hitting back'? What a piece of garbage journalism.

Need some glasses?

According to Paragraph 1 of a bilateral intergovernmental agreement [between Russia and Thailand], Russian tourists are allowed to enter Thailand for up to 30 days, after which they must leave the country, [but] the number of entries is not limited.

Yeah that's not what most people understand when they read "hit back."

That's like literally getting hit in the face and "retaliating" by saying "you're not supposed to do that."

So the poster is quite right, a sensationalist headline with nothing to back it up in the text. Garbage journalism.

OK, let's get this straight. For you, "hitting back" is a literal thing, not figuratively.

In "Diplomacy", publicly pointing out inaccuracies in what the people on the opposite side think/say/do IS "hitting back".

For you, "hitting back" means Putin should invade and annex Thailand in response to the Thai's ignoring a clause in an agreement made between the two countries? Is that right? Is that "hitting back" enough?

Rubbish, both on your definition of "hitting back," show me where you get YOUR definition, and secondly, no-one even mentioned Russia should invade or annexe Thailand.... use some sense.

Scroll back a few posts and you'll find the Dictionary definition of "hitting back" ...

As for my annex/invade statement I was onviously being facetious in response to the previous poster.

It's high-time that something is done about Thai-immigration and the lackeys running it ...their policies are going to have to change or they are going to meet with some hostility in the not-too-distant future..why should anyone be forced-out of anything if their intentions are fair, reasonable and justified? .

No. Thai immigration does not have to change the way they do anything, and No, they won't meet with any hostility. This country sets It's own rules with Immigration, and can force out anyone they want, any time. It's not Australia or Europe here with endless appeal processes to skirt the governments wishes. They are not "lackeys" running It. They are just government employees, who do things the Thai way, which I admit is confusing most of the time.

I'd be interested to see you show some hostility to the "lackeys" sometime.

• Like 1

Need some glasses?

“According to Paragraph 1 of a bilateral intergovernmental agreement [between Russia and Thailand], Russian tourists are allowed to enter Thailand for up to 30 days, after which they must leave the country, [but] the number of entries is not limited.”

So the Ruskies are hitting back by pointing out to Thailand how incompetent immigration are at interpreting their own rules?

Should have immigration officers all over Thailand quaking in their boots!

• Like 1

Entry into Thailand (or anywhere else) is always at the discretion of the immigration officer. They don't need to give any reason for refusing entry no matter what the Kremlin might believe.

They have a contract with Russia. If they brake this contract Russia can also change the Visa rules for Thais.

Yeah, right. And how many Thais go to Russia pa?

The bi lateral agreement is a high level agreement. There a billion different reasons why a Russian tourist might be refused entry to Thailand, not being an actual tourist being one of them.

<deleted>, why do people complain about not being able to permanently live in Thailand on a succession of tourist visas? That category of visa is for tourists. The rules aren't that hard to understand and being able to circumvent them for many years doesn't mean people will be able to do so in perpituity.

Never mind, the Crimea is no doubt back on Russian radars for holidays. No border requirements there.......now.

• Like 1

Putin gonna invade Thailand too?

Are you implying Russia has invaded..surely you're not implicating Ukraine..which has always been a part of Russia regardless of what the western-politicos and their slanderous,twisted and warped western-media lapdogs have stated.

Yeah..Russia is invading Ukraine. No, It's not always been part of Russia. Read your history. Parts of it have been sold off, handed over and fought over for centuries. Point Is that It was an independent country soring out It's own mess, liike many other countries do, until Putin and others In the Russian Kleptocracy decided this was a good time to improve their popularity in Russia, steal land and punish a weak state that Russia feels should want be part of Russia again.

On your basis of being part of Russia for a long time [via invasion and conquest originally] meaning thy should accept invasion, then If Scotland votes for independence, England should be able to invade in a couple of years?

As for the "Twisted warped Western media lapdogs"..Well at least they can print what they want without fear of a gulag, assassination, or sacking, unlike their Russian counterparts.

You've got anger issues, mate. Take a valium.

Not to mention the " we'll respect your borders" agreement signed in exchange for Ukraine giving up nuclear weapons

• Like 1

“Thirty days should be enough for a normal tourist. If they really want to travel around the country for more than 30 days, then they must show us a plausible plan. If officers are suspicious, then they will carry out checks.

“If we believe their purpose in coming to Thailand is not what they say it is, then we will order them to leave and they will be blacklisted. They will not be able to return to Thailand, ever.”

so are one entry visa being abolished ?

If you DARE to even try to ask a tourist visa , will you be banned to go to Thailand forever ?

So Thailand world be the first country in the world to abolish tourism plainly ....

30 days in a last minute and 800 euros/all include package is ok, but 2/3 months in a 5 stars resort spending 30000 euros you will be banned forever. Ok, thanks, I will spend that money in Vietnam or any other country

There is not another country in Europe that has such a restrictive visa policy as Russia.

I hope Thailand is not bullied by the Kremlin into affording Russians a more relaxed visa policy than other countries have to accept

Russians have, in my view, devalued Thailand as a tourist destination. Any visa restrictions placed on them are to be welcomed

• Like 2

In all fairness, the Thai authorities should not be dictating what a tourist should be. At the end of the day if you are in this country and you are not working, you do the border runs, you abide by the rules etc what is the problem. ''If they really want to travel around the country for more than 30 days, then they must show us a plausible plan''. WHY? There may be no grand plan! this is pure paranoia. ''If we believe their purpose in coming to Thailand is not what they say it is, then we will order them to leave and they will be blacklisted. They will not be able to return to Thailand, ever.” So if a guy says i want to stay here for a year or two spend my money and have a good time this warrants a life time ban? What are these people thinking, it it totally bizarre. If they work ban them, fine but don't tarnish everyone with the same brush.

In their eyes you are not a TOURIST if you constantly do back to back iout-ins, and its THEIR MEANING when they wrote the laws that is important, not yours or anybody else's definition.

And this person who wants to spend 2 years or so here, why would the Thai government WANT to LET him star for 2 years or so?

Because he's spending money? How much? They have no way of knowing or controlling it, so the guy could be a pauper and come live on the streets for 2 years, then overstay.. etc etc... as has happened in the past.

They have set their minimum FINANCIAL requirements and given various ways to fulfill them.

showing 800K investment/living expenses in the bank and or minimum regular income for Retireees

10M invested in government bonds, government bank TD, and I believe property too.

If he doesn't meet any of those requirements, is not married to a Thai, has no job and is not here for his education (or any of the more obscure Visa options), then THEY DON'T WANT HIM HERE (no matter how much YOU believe he should be allowed to stay).

The point i am making is who are you or anyone else including Thailand to dictate what a definition of a tourist is? I told you in the post.

At the end of the day if you are in this country and you are not working, you do the border runs, you abide by the rules etc what is the problem.

You are doing border runs precisely because you are not wanting a marriage visa, multiple entry visa, Ed Visa, Elite card, You say this person who wants to spend 2 years or so here, ''why would the Thai government WANT to LET him star for 2 years or so''? Well why not? He is spending HIS MONEY here, Your argument that all people who do border runs will end up on the street begging is ludicrous. I know people who was passing through on their way to Australia and never got there, spent a year or two here blowing all their dosh.

Sovereign nations have the right to define terms how they want. All legislation does this. Its par for the course.

If you think its hard now in the LOS, try being a Thai wanting to come to, say, Australia, on a tourist visa. That will really give you something to whinge about.

Your point is poor. Sovereign nations have the right to define terms how they want. All legislation does this!!! what on earth does this have to do with the definition of what a tourist is. A tourist is someone who is visiting another country, it does not specify a tourist is someone who visits a country for no more than 30 days.

Thais do not need visa to go to Russia, that may change, maybe here is the warning.

OMG you're right !!! and if Russia changes the rules and imposes a visa to Thai citizens, what will happen to the hordes of Thai tourists who fill plane after plane on Thai Airways and Aeroflot to visit the State Hermitage Museum of St Petersburg, the gorgeous beaches of Sochi (on the Black Sea), the architectural wonders of the Red Square in Moscow, not to mention the ballets of the Bolchoi ? Oh the millions of rubles that will be lost by this unfortunate 'great democracy' (as Gérard Depardieu called it not long ago), It's really awful to think about it.

In my opinion the whole point of this issue is IF the wording of the treaty agreement between Russia and Thailand is as presented ... “According to Paragraph 1 of a bilateral intergovernmental agreement [between Russia and Thailand], Russian tourists are allowed to enter Thailand for up to 30 days, after which they must leave the country, [but] the number of entries is not limited.” ... then Thailand is unilaterally reneging on the treaty without any formal discussion between the parties.

But it remains to be seen that in that referenced treaty the wording "...[but] the number of entries is not limited.... is really there or not ... or was it just implied or inferred because no wording was including prohibiting numerous entries or otherwise limiting the number.

Even if the treat is as claimed, I doubt much could be done about it - except to stop allowing all tourist from Russia to visit Thailand. If there was enough economic impact then Thailand might change its mind. Or if Russia is supplying other services or loans or energy ... then Russia would have some sway in the matter. Or it might be that such publicity only adds to the dismal Public Relations Thailand is currently projecting and things will change.

But with Russians and all others ... I find it incongruous that Thai Immigration suddenly starts to enforce an old dusty law that they had not been enforced at all for many years ... and even facilitated the comings and goings of people across borders doing ridiculous border runs / visa runs - making the ins and outs totally allowed - and now not only wants to begin enforcement but call those who availed themselves of the NON ENFORCEMENT in past years abusers or worse ... Amazing Thailand... TiT... (let the dog out of the cage to run free - then put the dog back in the cage and call him BAD DOG)... so fricken funny. And TVF members who join in with this absurdity by Thai Immigration and call people names for doing only what was allowed and facilitated at the time are even more duplicitous than Thai Immigration.

I've highlighted in red why I believe your assertion that Thailand is reneging on the treaty is not accurate...

If they are (believed to be) working, they are not tourists. If they are not tourists, Thailand is not reneging on the deal.

Your argument might have a leg to stand on IF you can post a link to an official Thailand Government Document defining what a tourist is - how long they are allowed to stay, etc. Surely you have that link form Thai Immigration maybe? You and others want to use a simplistic outdated concept of what a tourist is and the length of stay allowed a tourist with no basis other than your opinion as to what it should be.

Weeellll, the Thai Government document and definition of a tourist (in your own words "how long they are allowed to stay, etc.") is in the Thai immigration rules, that's the document you are looking for. Don't ask us to show it to you, go find it yourself and if necessary learn to read it! As already stated, its not mine, BWindiBoy's or your definition of the word Tourist that's important here, its that of the Thai Government, contained in their rules and clearly shows that they define a tourist as someone VISITING their country, usallly for 30 days or less.

Gosh - I guess I missed that link you posted... oh well... just your opinion then - is that right?

Your point is poor. Sovereign nations have the right to define terms how they want. All legislation does this!!! what on earth does this have to do with the definition of what a tourist is. A tourist is someone who is visiting another country, it does not specify a tourist is someone who visits a country for no more than 30 days.

Lol.

Er, are you all there? Its simple and exactly how I explained it.

There a multitude of different ways to define most terms including 'tourist'.

Thailand is a sovereign nation (maybe youd better look up that word - its a biggie) so they can define 'tourist' how they like, can't they? All legislation the world over defines key terms and those terms are usually carefully drafted to meet the objectives of the law in question.

Its not rocket science, is it?

The Equaliser definition would include business travellers, students travelling to study, diplomats, etc. Its such a broad definition it would be practically useless in regulating real tourists ie usually short term visitors to a region or country (you can have domestic or international tourists) who are visiting for the purpose of recreation (ie not business, education etc).

If I had the analysis abilities of a budgie, Equaliser, I'd be a bit more circumspect about putting my neck on the TV chopping block.

A couple of days ago I renewed my Retirement Extension at Jomtien Immigration, as I have each Sepember for the last 3 years. My previous visit was mid July to obtain a re-entry permit. In July it seemed quieter, but this week I hardly recognised the place! No long queues, no need to squeeze in through the entrance door into a mass of bodies to get a queue card number. This was at 08.30hrs and when I collected my passport at 15.00hrs the office was barely 25% occupied. A colleague also made the same comment when he went there the previous day. I was told it's Low Season, but this was a lot, lot quiter than previous Septembers. If this trend continues, it won't be just restaurant, hotel and other tourist service staff made redundant, some of the staff in Soi 5 will soon be looking for alternative employment! Could well be that the NCPO/Immigration have 'shot themselves in the foot' with the work permit/visa crackdown

I,m just back from a 4 day break in Pattaya. There's a smell of death everywhere. The whole town is absolutely dead. The hotels , the bars , the restaurants , the malls , the markets are virtually empty. In 12 years i've never seen Pattaya so quiet. In fact so quiet it feels a little eerie. You can sense a nervousness in the community , all praying for a high season to beat all high seasons. I think a lot will be disappointed.

On the plus side , i,m hansum man in every bar.

A couple of days ago I renewed my Retirement Extension at Jomtien Immigration, as I have each Sepember for the last 3 years. My previous visit was mid July to obtain a re-entry permit. In July it seemed quieter, but this week I hardly recognised the place! No long queues, no need to squeeze in through the entrance door into a mass of bodies to get a queue card number. This was at 08.30hrs and when I collected my passport at 15.00hrs the office was barely 25% occupied. A colleague also made the same comment when he went there the previous day. I was told it's Low Season, but this was a lot, lot quiter than previous Septembers. If this trend continues, it won't be just restaurant, hotel and other tourist service staff made redundant, some of the staff in Soi 5 will soon be looking for alternative employment! Could well be that the NCPO/Immigration have 'shot themselves in the foot' with the work permit/visa crackdown

I,m just back from a 4 day break in Pattaya. There's a smell of death everywhere. The whole town is absolutely dead. The hotels , the bars , the restaurants , the malls , the markets are virtually empty. In 12 years i've never seen Pattaya so quiet. In fact so quiet it feels a little eerie. You can sense a nervousness in the community , all praying for a high season to beat all high seasons. I think a lot will be disappointed.

On the plus side , i,m hansum man in every bar.

And you're hansum for half the price!

Entry into Thailand (or anywhere else) is always at the discretion of the immigration officer. They don't need to give any reason for refusing entry no matter what the Kremlin might believe.

They have a contract with Russia. If they brake this contract Russia can also change the Visa rules for Thais.

A contract??? Russia is not exactly a good place to go vacation for Thais or anyone

Moscow and St Petersburg are fantastic places to visit, but I don't recommend a Thai visit between November and March.

imm office empty, and it still took nearly seven hours to get you ext of stay,good job for you mate the ruskies have left,you be in office for days otherwise

Actually, most countries are highly receptive to criticism of policy, even Thailand. If foreign officials complain, there is always the possibility of policy being revised.

Did TAT shoot themselves in a leg?

Whatever I might think of Russian tourists, - moneywise they were a huge chunk of tourist dollars here.

It wasn't TAT that changed the rules.

Watch out Thailand. Putin might annex Thailand next! w00t.gif

Joking apart, Putin NEVER force annexed Crimea, the Crimean people massively voted with some 85+% democratically in favour of annexing to Russia, let us all try to remember that. Facts that can be checked rather than the utter crap reported in the western presstitute media. I am neither pro Russia nor particularly now pro America either, but I do like to see some truth which is not what we are being dangerously and stupidly fed from Washington it seems these days !!!!!!!!!! I suppose if you feed folk enough false rubbish for long enough then many of course start believing it.

Personally it should be quite fair and simple, in that you should not discriminate against any race, creed, culture or religion, you judge each individual person's case on it's merits and honesty. Sure tourist visas were NEVER intended for use to stay, live and/or work in Thailand, get used to that as that is all that is now being enforced.

Only thing I will add is what I always say, is that I feel this good and sensible Government we now have here should maybe consider non-immigrant long stay visas like OA for those under 50 who can meet a reasonable financial requirement similar to what retirees over 50 now have to do. So at least folk who have made enough money to retire to Thailand at say 40 should be able to do so legally, provided they meet a predefined laid down requirement, like maybe over a million Baht income or bank account balance, or maybe more than that. Whatever figure is felt reasonable by the Thai immigration authorities for anyone to retire here at a younger age. This would not only bring valuable income into Thailand but also avoid any need and temptation for those folk under 50 to have to try to break the immigration rules just to stay here and all the massive policing complications that causes.

This is the first objective and qualified comment to this subject. I agree with you in general I don't like the american politics, caused they provocated this case in Ukraine etc., I don't like russian politics either, but in this case Putin fighting only back the americans was going to far. I sorry for all the ppl in Ukraine who suffer now.

Back to subject Thailands Tourism was running well before the russians came. The invasion of the russians having for me mainly negative aspects for example boosting up property prices and the corruption and defeating a lot of Westerners a lot of expats left for example phuket already, caused the could sell their houses sky high to russians.

I was thinking for a while why came the russian invasion so fast.

I think now I know it, caused of this bilateral agreement.

Former Thai politicians sold their country to have a place to escape and rescue their owns asses in the worst case.

Simple solution bring them all to a trail reason "High Treason"

In a lot of countries a good enough reason for a sentence to dead.

Carpe diem wai2.gif

I like the bit about showing immigration "a plausible plan"...

Day 39 - wake up at noon, a few starter drinks, breakfast, a buzz on a jetski, a few more drinks, soapy massage, a few more drinks at some beer bars, a few games of pool, a bit to eat and a few more drinks, some ladies.....