Exporting A New Pick Up Truck To The Uk...

Hi all.

I'm interested in sending a new pickup truck back to the Uk. Not sure which make and model, but a 4x4 king cab of sorts.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before? I wrote to MMC Sitipol in Laem Chabang who manufacture Mitsubishi, but they told me to contact a local dealer.

Anyone know of any falang friendly dealerships who could see me through with this, in or around Pattaya/Bangkok? Would be really interested to hear from anyone with previous experience.

Best Regards

MB :o

you may find it cheaper to buy new in the uk rather than exporting one from here.

the vehicle will need to be approved for use in the uk, the engine will need to meet with euro2 emissions regulations, the safety standards of a vehicle made for the thai market may not be up to euro standards and the vehicle will need to go through an expensive check before being licensed for use in the uk. import taxes and vat will need to be considered too. vehicles that are for use in the uk will need to have a speedo that reads in mph rather than kph,changing the speedo alone will cost a fair amount in the uk. are thai made vehicles crash tested at the prototype stage before production ? if not then importation will probably not be allowed.

there are companies in the uk that will import vehicles on your behalf (usually from japan) and put them through the type approval testing.

even though the mitubishi pick ups are about half the price here in thailand, i would check carefully the full cost of importing and the availability of parts, servicing and insurance for a thai made vehicle over there before sending one over.

try contacting one of the companies in the uk that imports cars to order from japan, they may be able to give you some idea of the cost and some idea as to which vehicles will meet with uk and euro regs.

i dont know of any such thing as a farang friendly car dealership here. they are all farang friendly until they have banked the cheque.

There are so many parts which must be EC approved.

I looked at this a few years back and gave up as so many bits would have to be changed. Thai tyres do not have an EC stamp.

You would as need to fit a heater and demister system.

I asked if I could buy a UK spec model here and was told "No Way"

Depends on "what is normal thai prices"

We export many, so we get excellent discount.

You can equest a price "FOB or "CIF"

If you have never imported a car into England, i would suggest "CIF"

Angie

does your company prepare the vehicles to comply with euro regs before they leave thailand or is that done once they get to the uk (heaters,speedo,tyres,glass,catalyst converter etc.)

if i was importing one into the uk from you can you give some idea of the cost (for a 3000cc 4wd toyota 4-door automatic pick-up) cif to the uk and some idea of the cost to put the car on the road in the uk.

medicinebox,

890,000 baht seem High!!!!!!!!!!!

No that is not our company, as far as kilometers go, this is not allowed in England.

Each car when it gets to England has to pass an SVA test, kilometers on the clock would fail!

We ensure all our vehicles (approx 100 per month) comnply to EU rules.

My husband worked for the ' Ministry of Transport' as an inspector for many years and now controls all conversion to EU standards before vehicles get to England.

Emmissions are a big problem in England and if not adjusted proper will definately fail an SVA test.

Angie

• 8 months later...
good questions

as my wife is a thai national.....could we bring our car from the UK which is registered in my wifes name and we have owned this car for about 12 months now.??

also could you give us an idea as to the import duties which are payable please??

the car in question is a bmw 530i sport ,3,000cc and year of build 2001.

thanks for any advise you have available.

• 7 months later...

The most Farang-friendly dealership in Thailand has to be http://www.sonirodban.com/. They also claim to be Thailand's largest automotive exporter. I visited their showroom a month ago and they had some 100 Toyota Vigo lined up waiting to be exported. Impressive. They were very friendly and spoke fluent English. I would highly recommend them.

Jim

good questions

as my wife is a thai national.....could we bring our car from the UK which is registered in my wifes name and we have owned this car for about 12 months now.??

also could you give us an idea as to the import duties which are payable please??

the car in question is a bmw 530i sport ,3,000cc and year of build 2001.

thanks for any advise you have available.

Apparently if your wife has emigrated to UK, ie given up residency in Thailand and now wishes to repatriate to Thailand, she is entitled to import her car and a reasonable amount of personal goods totally free of import duties.

I use the word apparently, as everything in Thailand depends on the official you have to deal with and I guarantee that somewhere along the line you will have to pay something.

I believe that import duties can be crippling, as much as 100% of the UK value + shipping + insurance

http://www.thaivisa.com/340.0.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/car_malaysia_border.0.html