Small arms cache found near Bangkok

webfact

Small arms cache found near Bangkok

9-12-2014-11-46-27-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A small of arms cache was found yesterday at an isolated house in Wang Muang district of Saraburi province on Thursday.

Police are checking to see whether it was connected to any political unrest

The cache found in the house included two AK47 assault rifles and with rounds of AK47 ammunition, a carbine rifle, three M79 grenades, an M26 hand grenade, a smoke bomb and a claymore mine with detonating cord connected to a mobile phone.

Two long sports bags thought to have been used to carry the rifles and a nine-volt battery, were also among the cache.

A forensic team was called in to inspect the explosive devices and get fingerprints for examination.

Acting commissioner of First Region Provincial Police commissioner Pol Maj Gen Sriwara Rangsiphramanakul said police needed time to investigate if these weapons would have any connection with political violence in the capital during the past one year.

Two cars, one white and the other black, were seen in the neighbourhood on Sept 2, and residents did not suspect any irregularity as there were only 17 houses in the areas of which five were occupied by renters.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/small-arms-cache-found-near-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-12

It would have been set up for speed dial, punch in the certain number and the device arms/goes off, they could detonate this easily, and from miles away, but normally the trigger man is close by to "observe" the detonation and to minimise signal issues.

Typically they have no other numbers stored on the phone, speed dial, to minimise "errors" as you said ... such as wrong number, don't forget, also dialing in a wrong number could prevent the device from detonating.

The large black box like item at the rear is also more than likely a battery pack/power source as well.

Here's some information for you ..

http://www.oss.net/dynamaster/file_archive/051011/04e118e543b29b06a494b03a0e192cc8/OSS%20Remote%20IED%20Initiation%20Updated%20Final.pdf

Edited by Fat Haggis

Soldiers discover cache of weapons inside abandoned house in Saraburi

BANGKOK, 12 September 2014 (NNT) - Army officers in Saraburi province have found a cache of weapons hidden in an abandoned house in Wang Muang District.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team from the Army’s Ordnance Department in Saraburi has discovered several deadly explosives including one Claymore mine, three M-79 grenades, three M-26 grenades, and one smoke bomb, as well as bullets for firearms.

The locals had been evacuated from the area before the Army went to retrieve the weapons in order to ensure their safety. The officers also discovered that the Claymore mine had been wired for use and could go off anytime unless defused properly.

According to Police Colonel Akaradet Primolsri, the Deputy Superintendent of the Crime Suppression Division, he will immediately launch an investigation into the case. At this point, police and soldiers are still unable to track down the suspects involved in the case.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-12 footer_n.gif

As do the Muslims in the South..

Forget the AK's, the claymore mine rigged up to the Mobile phone is a majory worry, that's not your average run of the mill low life that makes these up, that's someone with a knowledge of how IED's are contructed.. claymore mine contains 700 ball bearings and it's lethal!!

This is a significant find, and thank Frak it's been discovered, regardless of who is suspected of being behind this, and I'd much prefer not to jump to conclusions, considering these IED's HAVE been used in the South quite often in the past.. all to easy to finger point right now.

Historically, have the red shirts ever used anything this sophisticated? And yes it's sophisticated due to the trigger mechanism (mobile phone) IED's are either detonated remotely (phones or IR devices such as garage door lockers) or Command wire detonated.

have to agree, these things are deadly, when detonated(usually a squeeze box/trigger)the ball bearings are set off and spread out in a fan like shape taking out quite few enemy/people, they are extremely lethal and the type of set up described would require someone with a good knowledge of explosives to make it. This is very worrisome as it is a new development in the possible attack methods so far been used in Bangkok by the reds.

• Like 2

BANGKOK: -- A small of arms cache was found yesterday at an isolated house in Wang Muang district of Saraburi province on Thursday.

Police are checking to see whether it was connected to any political unrest

The cache found in the house included two AK47 assault rifles and with rounds of AK47 ammunition, a carbine rifle, three M79 grenades, an M26 hand grenade, a smoke bomb and a claymore mine with detonating cord connected to a mobile phone. A claymore with detonating cord? No doubt it was connected to political unrest! w00t.gifrolleyes.gif wai2.gif

Lets hope the finger prints point to the culprits and they are arrested post haste.

Maybe if I don't like the terrorist activity in my area I should move to another location with my family?

Maybe they could rationalize the terrorist activity they support by comparing it to car accidents in Thailand?

Maybe they could suggest that the right to protest should be looked down on and involvement frowned upon in case the terrorists attack the protest site.

All that and more was suggested by brucec64 here.

Lets hope the above does not need to happen. Lets hope they arrest the culprits whether they are from the South, the Central or the North of Thailand.

• Like 2

Maybe if I don't like the terrorist activity in my area I should move to another location

That East coast of Australia is a terrorist hotbed, you are so brave to stay there. I was over for the rugby world cup last year and the similarities with Mosul were stark. I heard one local commentator say only Khon Kaen in Thailand had a worse problem. thumbsup.giflaugh.png

Happy Friday you crazy MoFo biggrin.png Keep doing your thing wai.gif

no reports of red-t-shirts or UDD bumper stickers being found on the site?

I'm shocked.

They will come, soon enough, as will your denials, claims the reds have been set up, that they are not really violent etc etc etc.

Perhaps even some links from phipodon proving the yellow elitists are the owners of this latest stash. clap2.gif

I'm shocked.

They will come, soon enough, as will your denials, claims the reds have been set up, that they are not really violent etc etc etc.

Perhaps even some links from phipodon proving the yellow elitists are the owners of this latest stash. clap2.gif

not yellow elites - normally weapons stashes are sold by the military. To whom - my guess is they don't care.

someone has to turn a profit before the arrest.

but seriously, the technique worked so well for Suthep, why should they abandon a winning strategy?

Edited by tbthailand

I'm shocked.

not yellow elites - normally weapons stashes are sold by the military. To whom - my guess is they don't care.

but seriously, the technique worked so well for Suthep, why should they abandon a winning strategy?

Is that your friend's new business in Isaan? Or was that some other red sycophant?

I'm shocked.

Is that your friend's new business in Isaan? Or was that some other red sycophant?

I agree. There is no such thing as a violent yellow supporter. And there is no such thing as a corrupt yellow supporter who is close to the top. And there is no such thing as any cover ups by yellows. Forgive my obvious mistake. The PDRC guards kidnapped and tortured a man for five days and then threw him in the river to die (no arrests there), I mean the creator of the yellow shirt movement was convicted on charges similar to Thaksin's abuses of power and given a much stiffer sentence (free on bail and waiting numerous judicial delays to ensure he never sleeps behind bars) , I mean, the raped SE Asian women who were rushed to the border last month for deportation only wanted to go home (they obviously wanted to be raped by Thais and deported since they came here to work and were trafficked inhumanely and egregiously).

Yeah, right. You are buying what they're selling and calling it a free lunch, like a good little robot running on borrowed military surplus batteries.....

Beep...all is well...beep beep...all is well.....beep beep beep...all is well.

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

I agree. There is no such thing as a violent yellow supporter. And there is no such thing as a corrupt yellow supporter who is close to the top. And there is no such thing as any cover ups by yellows. Forgive my obvious mistake. The PDRC guards kidnapped and tortured a man for five days and then threw him in the river to die (no arrests there), I mean the creator of the yellow shirt movement was convicted on charges similar to Thaksin's abuses of power and given a much stiffer sentence (free on bail and waiting numerous judicial delays to ensure he never sleeps behind bars) , I mean, the raped SE Asian women who were rushed to the border last month for deportation only wanted to go home (they obviously wanted to be raped by Thais and deported since they came here to work and were trafficked inhumanely and egregiously).

Yeah, right. You are buying what they're selling and calling it a free lunch, like a good little robot running on borrowed military surplus batteries.....

Beep...all is well...beep beep...all is well.....beep beep beep...all is well.

I might be wrong, but it would seem the OP doesn't mention any shirts, neither red nor yellow. The OP only mentions that two cars were seen in the neighbourhood, without clarifying that this would be abnormal or cars normally not seen.

The acting commissioner of First Region Provincial Police commissioner Pol Maj Gen Sriwara Rangsiphramanakul said police needed time to investigate if these weapons would have any connection with political violence in the capital during the past one year. Even that doesn't mention any side which may or may not have been involved.

So, beep beep beep

• Like 1

As do the Muslims in the South..

Forget the AK's, the claymore mine rigged up to the Mobile phone is a majory worry, that's not your average run of the mill low life that makes these up, that's someone with a knowledge of how IED's are contructed.. claymore mine contains 700 ball bearings and it's lethal!!

This is a significant find, and thank Frak it's been discovered, regardless of who is suspected of being behind this, and I'd much prefer not to jump to conclusions, considering these IED's HAVE been used in the South quite often in the past.. all to easy to finger point right now.

Historically, have the red shirts ever used anything this sophisticated? And yes it's sophisticated due to the trigger mechanism (mobile phone) IED's are either detonated remotely (phones or IR devices such as garage door lockers) or Command wire detonated.

Technical point: IED stands for Improvised Explosive Device. A Claymore mine is not 'improvised' so it is not classified as a IED. I have not read of a Claymore mine being used in the South of Thailand or anywhere in Thailand so, for me, this is a brand new item in the anti-whomever arsenal in Thailand.

• Like 1

It's improvised to be detonated by the cell phone mate, technically the claymore is an anti personnel mine, and normally has the "clacker" initiator, which would need the command wire that goes with it, and that means the trigger man has to be pretty close to the device, they were used to set up ambushes as they were directional, there's actually two variants, lethal and non lethal, we had some in the early days in Iraq that we had attached to the outside of the vehicles, in case the bad guys got too close, but they were the non lethal kind..

We decided to test one and the <deleted> thing didn't work, as the command wire was old and had so many breaks in it, so we threw frags at it instead... passed the afternoon just nicely!! :D

In the case above, the trigger man has plenty of stand off distance, as long as he has line of sight.

Technical point: IED stands for Improvised Explosive Device. A Claymore mine is not 'improvised' so it is not classified as a IED. I have not read of a Claymore mine being used in the South of Thailand or anywhere in Thailand so, for me, this is a brand new item in the anti-whomever arsenal in Thailand.

Not sure if your logic is correct as plenty of IEDs use an artillery shell to make the big bang. Again, not sure but doubt the voltage of a mobile phone would be enough to fire the detonator, but it would quite easy to use it to operate an electrical relay (coil operated switch) to pass current from a 9V battery, which would.

Also vaguely recall a lesson about hooking up a number of claymores to a detcord 'spider' to fire them simultaneously. IIRC the det is replaced by the detcord.

With a mobile phone, I can see no reason why the device couldn't be fired from next door or 1000km away.

• Like 1

It's improvised to be detonated by the cell phone mate, technically the claymore is an anti personnel mine, and normally has the "clacker" initiator, which would need the command wire that goes with it, and that means the trigger man has to be pretty close to the device, they were used to set up ambushes as they were directional, there's actually two variants, lethal and non lethal, we had some in the early days in Iraq that we had attached to the outside of the vehicles, in case the bad guys got too close, but they were the non lethal kind..

We decided to test one and the <deleted> thing didn't work, as the command wire was old and had so many breaks in it, so we threw frags at it instead... passed the afternoon just nicely!! biggrin.png

In the case above, the trigger man has plenty of stand off distance, as long as he has line of sight.

This may be a silly question, but it never occurred to you to replace the wire?

Not sure if your logic is correct as plenty of IEDs use an artillery shell to make the big bang. Again, not sure but doubt the voltage of a mobile phone would be enough to fire the detonator, but it would quite easy to use it to operate an electrical relay (coil operated switch) to pass current from a 9V battery, which would.

Also vaguely recall a lesson about hooking up a number of claymores to a detcord 'spider' to fire them simultaneously. IIRC the det is replaced by the detcord.

With a mobile phone, I can see no reason why the device couldn't be fired from next door or 1000km away.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/improvised

I posted the link to the word 'improvised' in case you weren't clear as to the definition. Modifying an artillery shell from something fired from a howitzer into a 'mine' would be 'improvising'. A Claymore mine is already a mine and needs no improvising unless you wanted to fire it from a howitzer. Improvising the method of detonation does not make a Claymore mine an IED. Claymore mines were already designed (without need of improvising) to be fired electrically or mechanically and either automatically or 'command' detonated. A mobile phone only need to close a circuit on a battery/detonator connection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_Claymore_mine

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Improvised+explosive+device&go=&qs=n&form=QBIL&pq=improvised+explosive+device&sc=8-27&sp=-1&sk=

As you can see in the photos, a Claymore mine doesn't look very 'improvised' because it is mass produced in factories and are all identical. It even has a universal name: M18A1 something that cannot be said about a converted LPG gas bottle or artillery shell. 'Improvised' means it wasn't factory made/mass produced but created from materials at hand. Really, no logic involved.

Saraburi is largely a Military town; with many military families there. Would it be plausable that this setup and stash was planted by soldiers who would later report the equipment as "lost" (if at all); and that this was a drop for a pick up at a later time? This would explain the setup; the way in which it is packaged and placed makes one think that it was experienced hands that prepared and placed this.

Perhaps the fingerprints should be screened against military staff as well. We all know there are elements within the military that were not necessarily happy of the "take down" of the previous "caretaker government".