Advanced education

strawberry

My teen daughter is wanting to study bachelor of english language here in Thailand and then to australia for her masters.i need advice of where to apply. She leaves her present school when she turns 18 next March. Can someone eV give me advice on this.

Take into account that l am a pensioner and money is tight. At the moment it's a big worry and advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards Joe

The thing is..is a bachelor degree in Thailand equivalent to an Australian one. My understanding is that it isn't and your daughter would need a bridging course before she would qualify for higher degree entry in Australia.

Another option is to study her undergraduate degree in Australia and defer the HSC fees for undergraduate study, then she doesn't have to repay until she reaches the threshold tax level. Same as what me and many others did.

Final option go for a TAFE course which is much cheaper than a degree and counts as credit to an undergraduate degree. This can be done online as a distance course as can some of the undergraduate degrees. This would alleviate financial pressure.

"The thing is..is a bachelor degree in Thailand equivalent to an Australian one. My understanding is that it isn't and your daughter would need a bridging course before she would qualify for higher degree entry in Australia."

Absolute rubbish.

The Thai Masters degree isn't usually accepted but undergraduates can go to Australia to do their masters in Australia, Canada and USA (others I suspect as well, but those I am certain of) without bridging courses as long as they have met the GPA, IELTS, and any graduate testing like GRE.

I have a few friends that had Master's from Thailand and had to redo them in order to get their Phd in Australia and the US. One friend got his Phd in the UK and they accepted his Masters from Chula.

OP, as long as she tests well enough most government schools will be fine as long as she graduates top of her class.

Here is a list of universities in Thailand offering bachelors degree programs in English

This may be a good start to check these and find out which may be in your price range

http://www.lannaist.ac.th/wp-content/uploads/doc/Secondary%20school/Thai%20University%20International%20Programs.pdf

Edited by CWMcMurray

There's no problem studying in Australia on the basis of Thai qualifications. My wife did her PhD there on the basis of her Thai degree and Master's degree. She also needed an adequate IELTS score. The US has different rules. If she is studying in a Thai program now, going into an international program here will be tough, but it will be better prep for studying in Australia, as she will have better (hopefully!) academic english skills at the end of it. They are not cheap though, and the quality seems to vary. The harder courses already require a high degree of english ability (including SAT/TOEFL scores, etc).

She can likely get a student loan when she studies at the Thai university, the below thread has some details:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685426-thai-student-loans-university-fees/

So you don't need to worry too much about the cost of her studying.

What is your daughter's English like? As I see that although some of the posters are suggesting International Programs, you've said your daughter wants to study a Bachelor of English. If her English is already really good, she'd probably be best off in an international program, as then she'd learn something useful, as well as improving her English (If she's a native English speaker, it'd be a bit of a waste for her to study English at a Thai university for 4 years)

Also if her English could use "a bit of work", she might be better off studying for a year at a language school and then entering an international program at university (Or maybe just during her summer holidays before university starts). As this would bring her speaking/listening upto speed.

Many thanks to all. As far as going to aus she would be going there as an aussie citizen at thee moment she has dual citizenship. It's my intension to take advantage of that. In fact her elder brother lives within walking distance of the new England uni.

As far as the ramkamhaeng uni is concerned my stepdaughter went there but didn't like it and left.and changed uni. Quite frankly I'm more interested in my daughter and at the time I didn't know what was going on.there seems to be lots of secrets here in the Los. The thing is I brought her into this life and I need to go out of it knowing I did the best I could for her. I'm 79 now I'm a working man and come from a working background which was ok for Australia and Scotland but this Thailand is not the same as it was for me. I started off working in a biscuit factory in Edinburgh and ended up retiring from the fire brigade in Sydney. I was very seldom out of work and never went hungry. But, for my daughter it's different so I have to come up with the best for her. I appreciate all the advice you folks have been giving me. Thank you all. Regards joe