How Much?

kankaroo

OK Got a slightly old but nice system for sale but just unsure of how much to ask for it, anyone shed some light ?

PC :

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

1 GB Kingston RAM

160 GB Hard Drive ( 2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda)

CD Writer

DVD Drive

128 Mb ATI Radeon Video Card

17' Samsung Monitor

Brand New Case

Thermaltake Volcano CPU cooling unit + Artic Ice cooling fluid

Only thing lets it down slightly is the 128MB video card but I sold my 256MB one. Even though still plays most games pretty well.

So what should I be asking for a fair price?

Cheers !

If you and the buyer were close enough geographically that you could offer say a 15 day warranty and you trusted each other about that, I'd say around 30% off what you paid for it would be reasonable. I assume it's around 6 months old. If older, less.

Peter

OK Got a slightly old but nice system for sale but just unsure of how much to ask for it, anyone shed some light ?

PC :

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

1 GB Kingston RAM

CD Writer

DVD Drive

17' Samsung Monitor

Brand New Case

Only thing lets it down slightly is the 128MB video card but I sold my 256MB one. Even though still plays most games pretty well.

Cheers !

I would check the prices for a new computer with that specifications and than go 30 % down.

I would also offer 1 month warranty (if hardware problem within 1 month, you take it back and give the money back).

PC :

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

1 GB Kingston RAM

CD Writer

DVD Drive

17' Samsung Monitor

Brand New Case

Cheers !

I'd say it looks like a system costing around 25k new so a fair price 6 months later would probably be about 30% less. I don't think you'll find a buyer at that price though, PC's don't sell easy 2nd hand IMO.

That CPU cooling unit looks interesting, is that liquid cooling? Does it work? How much did that cost? (I didn't price that into the above).

It is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Thus, in your case, accept the highest bid. Everyday you let the system sit unsold, it may lose value.

I'm not trying to be facetious, but seriously, if you are selling a house, a boat, a pencil, etc, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. For example, I am not an art aficionado, and hence there is no way I feel the "Mona Lisa" is worth millions. You may disagree, and that is your perogative. If the highest bid for your PC is $500 (or equivalent), then that is what it is worth.

Edited by Gumballl

In Thailand, secondhand computers -- like used cars and virtually all other pre-owned items -- just don't depreciate. I can't explain it but it's true! So don't offer it for less than about 80% of whatever you paid for it (even if you overpaid) and don't even negotiate any offer that isn't at least close to that. It might take a while to find the right buyer, but you will eventually. Cheers!

Guest #1man

A secondhand computer is worth about half the retail price after one year.

I suspect this machine is a lot older than 6 months.

In Thailand, secondhand computers -- like used cars and virtually all other pre-owned items -- just don't depreciate. I can't explain it but it's true! So don't offer it for less than about 80% of whatever you paid for it (even if you overpaid) and don't even negotiate any offer that isn't at least close to that. It might take a while to find the right buyer, but you will eventually. Cheers!

I guess you are talking as a buyer from a dealer.

Try checking the prices as a seller to the same dealer.

Second hand dealers of most products here seem to hang out for huge mark ups.

Always best to buy/sell second hand privately.

That probably explains the wild variation in suggestions of value seen here.

From 30% to 80% of new price. No wonder these dealers are in the business :o

I've lived here an awful long time and the conventional view is exactly the opposite of that.

Second hand goods depreciate so rapidly in Thailand that there is little or no market for them at all, principally because Thais, on the whole, won't buy second-hand goods at any price. Why do you think used cars, for example, sell so poorly here? And there's very little market, compared to the US or the UK, for real estate that is not brand new (other than in the very lowest prices ranges).

When people sell second-hand goods here it is almost always through a personal connnection, not at arm's length and to a stranger. My advice on the sale of your computer is, unless you have a list of friends acquaintances to pitch it to, take any offer you are lucky enough to get.

Second hand goods depreciate so rapidly in Thailand that there is little or no market for them at all, principally because Thais, on the whole, won't buy second-hand goods at any price. Why do you think used cars, for example, sell so poorly here? And there's very little market, compared to the US or the UK, for real estate that is not brand new (other than in the very lowest prices ranges).

Do used cars really sell so poorly here? They must depreciate really fast and be really cheap to buy then, right?

Maybe i haven't been in Thailand long enough :o

Its Thailand. Used things keep their value well, especially cars as we all know.

However, paradoxically, Thai are rather loath to buy used stuff, cars especially. Catch 22 if ever there was one.

Well, i would give 15K for it, but im a tigharse.

Its Thailand. Used things keep their value well, especially cars as we all know.

However, paradoxically, Thai are rather loath to buy used stuff, cars especially. Catch 22 if ever there was one.

Well, i would give 15K for it, but im a tigharse.

I think 15k is probably reasonable for both parties.