งดงาม (ngot ngaam) = beautiful, wonderful

bottledwater

Hi, I ran across งดงาม (ngot ngaam) in my Manee Mana 2nd grader's book. thai2english.com says it is a commonly used word. But I am not familiar with it, or more likely didn't understand it when someone used it.

Normally I hear สวย (suay) all the time for beauty. It would be nice to have an alternative. Is งดงาม really that common? and if so, when would it be appropriate to use?

Thanks,

Bottled

Once in a while I hear งดงาม (ngot ngaam) used to indicate someone or something is attractive, pretty, beautiful etc. but more often just the word งาม (ngaam) is used. I'm not sure why. I think they both mean essentially the same thing. Perhaps งดงาม means more like "absolutely gorgeous" than just beautiful. I'm not sure. Certainly the word สวย (suay) is most often heard.

It's usually used to describe nature, views and places, just like สวยงาม. It means beautiful and is often used.

When describing the beauty of a woman people normally just use สวย and sometimes งาม.

Edited by kriswillems

I Could be wrong, but this might be written word and not really spoken?

Correct.

Also, the word งดงาม usually speak by noble people, to show proper manner (know how to use the word, or educated to use)

for example; we wouldn't say the Thai palace as สวย but we should say as งาม or งดงาม

Hope you understand.

When describing the beauty of a woman people normally just use สวย and sometimes งาม.

There are videos on youtube with ( beautiful ) girls dancing on motor shows: sometimes, the "disc jokey" ( I don't know how to call him ) uses the word "สวยงาม " , referring to the girls ( not the cars biggrin.png )

Also, the word งดงาม usually speak by noble people, to show proper manner (know how to use the word, or educated to use)

Now I undersand why I have never heard this word : because I don't frequent noble people