Renew helmet lining

Gulfsailor

Hi. I recently brought two old helmets with me from Europe to Thailand. Both only used a few times and were still looking like new. But within hours of arriving in Thailand the lining of both helmets started to disintegrate. I guess the aging fake leather doesn't like the heat. One if the helmets is a budget copper style one, but the other a no-name carbon full face helmet, which is really light and comfortable and would be a shame to throw away. Are there shops who can replace the lining of a helmet. The shell and foam are good.

When your lining starts disintegrating it's your helmet's way of telling you that you should buy a new one.

Most high end helmets have replaceable linings but these usually shouldn't be replaced more than once depending on amount of use.

If your helmets are more than five years old bin them. I wouldn't use a helmet for more than three years.

• Like 1

Everyone I know that has ridden with a European lid has found them too hot.

Everyone i know that has ridden with a "thai" helmet either barley survived or died. Go home if its too hot for you. Edited by Hili

Everyone i know that has ridden with a "thai" helmet either barley survived or died. Go home if its too hot for you.

An unusual view. Why not just buy a quality helmet here made for the warmer climate, so much cheaper than a trans-continental air ticket. My HJC was about 7,500 so not too bad.

Also it's a shocking that everyone you know has been involved in such serious accidents, are they, all very poor racing drivers?

SDM

• Like 1

I know a few Thai racers that have used & crashed with an HJC helmet and the helmets held up fine with no injury to the rider. They only have to work the once you know. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

I got it from a decent shop and it was mid range. Fortunately never had to test it, also never dropped it, it's not light though!

S

Everyone i know that has ridden with a "thai" helmet either barley survived or died. Go home if its too hot for you.
An unusual view. Why not just buy a quality helmet here made for the warmer climate, so much cheaper than a trans-continental air ticket. My HJC was about 7,500 so not too bad.

Also it's a shocking that everyone you know has been involved in such serious accidents, are they, all very poor racing drivers?

SDM

When i said "thai" helmets i was talking about index etc... HJC is a different league of course. Also the people i was referring to are not racers but scooter riders in daily traffic.

SDM

When i said "thai" helmets i was talking about index etc... HJC is a different league of course. Also the people i was referring to are not racers but scooter riders in daily traffic.
We seem to be talking at cross purposes, I'm not the OP and my choice of lid is irrelevant.

I merely remarked that everyone I know that has brought a helmet in from Europe (UK normally) has found them very hot and never used them. You retorted by saying that every person you knew, that just possessed a Thai helmet, had died or very nearly died, quite a sad and shocking state of affairs really also very unlucky. I could believe these stats in Phuket where I believe we were approaching a roadside fatality a day. I agree with your view on Index helmets I'm not sure how much extra safety they give over say a baseball cap, or a sandwich.

Personally I drive a reasonably fast bike probably faster than I should so normally use body armour and armoured gloves in addition to a decent helmet, all bought here and designed for the warmer climate.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712
  • Like 1

^

'A helmet brought in from Europe (or wherever)' means nothing in that context- unless you have a specific model number as an example, it's too vague a response to be relevant (and I find it strange that 'everyone you know who has bought a [presumably] expensive helmet from Europe' chooses not to wear it.

There are many helmets available in Europe and the US that are designed for warmer climates (airflow is one of the most important manufacturer concerns after safety)- the GT Air is a good example, but there are many others.

^

'A helmet brought in from Europe (or wherever)' means nothing in that context- unless you have a specific model number as an example, it's too vague a response to be relevant (and I find it strange that 'everyone you know who has bought a [presumably] expensive helmet from Europe' chooses not to wear it.

There are many helmets available in Europe and the US that are designed for warmer climates (airflow is one of the most important manufacturer concerns after safety)- the GT Air is a good example, but there are many others.

I'm afraid I know nothing about helmet design but I can see from your avatar that you are a proper biker so you will appreciate that once these guys I refer to have gone through the process of squeezing these helmets on while the foam adjusts to the contours of their head and face, and now fit like proverbial gloves, they are keen to carry on using them here. However, and I'm only repeating what they have said, they find them really hot. The only guy that carried on had a top of the range Shoei, which saved him after a 140 kp/h impact !

All the people I've mentioned are from the UK, where we have a cooler climate than much of Europe and parts of the US.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

^

Yes, that's my bike, but there's a broad definition of what constitutes a 'proper biker' (though I consider myself a 'motorcyclist').

Certainly any helmet can feel warm depending on conditions (stop-and-go traffic being the best example), but nearly all helmets come with some sort of venting (which can be closed or blocked off) these days, so helmets can be used in all climates (the most popular Shoei models, for example, are the same on both sides of the Atlantic). As far as an initial tight fit is concerned, that's the safest way to start off with a new helmet (on the tight side) as it decreases the chances of it moving out of position in the event of a crash. I've been wearing top-of-the-range Shoei helmets in Thailand for more than 10 years- they're certainly not too warm for conditions here.

That said, I would think that anyone bringing a helmet over to LOS would give some consideration to its air-flow characteristics and proceed accordingly.

Yes, that's my bike, but there's a broad definition of what constitutes a 'proper biker' (though I consider myself a 'motorcyclist') y.

I'm assuming because we don't ride these kind of bikes for comfort. Of course I'd have to see how close your tyre wear is to the rim to be sure !!!!!

When I get a new helmet I have to force it down on my head. After a few weeks they are perfect. A pal of mine who has been riding a lot longer than me told me to try and twist the helmet when I was wearing it. He said that the only way it should turn is if it brings your face with it!

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Had a Schuberth helmet reconditioned and the mechanism repaired. all for about 1,000 by a shop in Bangkok. Mail order both ways. The shop had been recommended by someone on the GT Rider forum. Am not at home and cannot look up the shop's name and address.

OP, I Never heard of a no name helmet. Who made it? How do they made it?

The carbon 'no name' helmet has a name on it; ACT. The thing is that when you Google helmet + ACT you only get results about laws. I purchased it about 12 years ago to use on a super fast hydrofoil boat. It was the lightest helmet available and within budget at the time. I maybe used it a dozen times. Now that I occasionally ride a motosai here in Thailand I thought of starting to use it again as it much more comfortable than anything I find locally. Plus my head is very small and so far I could only find crappy kids helmets to fit my head.

Had a Schuberth helmet reconditioned and the mechanism repaired. all for about 1,000 by a shop in Bangkok. Mail order both ways. The shop had been recommended by someone on the GT Rider forum. Am not at home and cannot look up the shop's name and address.

I sent my Shoei helmet to a shop in Bangkok and had it refurbished. Excellent job and quick service. You can see my post on GT Rider here. Helmet Refurbishing.

Edit:

I was being lazy by just posting the above link. So I decided to just copy my post info from GT Rider in case the link isn't allowed. (I am an 'administrator' on GT Rider, no problem sharing the info here).

You can reach these people on 'www.thaiantinoc.co.th'

Yes

We have a department for the restoration, refurbishment and repair all Type of helmet products Please contact directly Mrs. Oranong 02-221-4358, 02-2212-4727

Kind Regards,

Webmaster

I called Mrs. Oranong (she speaks English) and she said EMS my helmet to her at the store, and enclose 1,000 baht for refurbishing and to cover the cost of EMS back to Chiang Mai.

I sent my helmet on Wednesday, and Saturday it was delivered back to my house in Chiang Mai. She replaced the entire liner, and redid the cheek pads with new padding and leather. She "grafts" the new liner to the original Shoei snaps and fittings. It is still removable for cleaning and IT LOOKS AND FITS GREAT!

I know helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets after 3-5 years, but my helmet doesn't have a scratch on it and a replacement would be in the neighborhood of 22,000 baht. If you want to get a few more years of service out or your helmet, this is the way to go.

Thanks for the link! Will check that out.

When I get a new helmet I have to force it down on my head. After a few weeks they are perfect. A pal of mine who has been riding a lot longer than me told me to try and twist the helmet when I was wearing it. He said that the only way it should turn is if it brings your face with it!

SDM

That is completely correct advice your friend gave you. Also you should not be able to put your fingers between the helmet and your forehead.

Just remember you may drive at 60 kph but a vehicle could hit you at a much higher speed.

Check out helmet fitting on YouTube.

SDM

That is completely correct advice your friend gave you. Also you should not be able to put your fingers between the helmet and your forehead.

Just remember you may drive at 60 kph but a vehicle could hit you at a much higher speed.

Check out helmet fitting on YouTube.

I don't think I could fit a nail file between my helmet and fore finger.

I'd like to say that I might drive at 60, but I've got 650 cc's not quite so keen.

I've had 911's for the last ten years and the collision speed calculation you are talking about and I are old friends. Never had to find out in practice fortunately.

Regards

SDM