Is the so called 'need' to learn English just another face of imperialism?

btw- forgot to ask if we could agree on ONE english( oxford) and not the American or Australian bufflegab?

Why?

to substitute the F- word with commas and to make it understandable for non locals( confessed to a certain area).

for example: if you were able to speak german and i would talk in my dialect you wouldn't get a word.

got it?

I ran your reply through Google translate. It still doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer the titles question; without a doubt. From what I've seen, English speakers seem to be the laziest when it comes to speaking, reading, or writing a second, or more, language.

Not necessarily lazy. But, whether you or the OP like it or not, English is the international common language of commerce, medicine, research, science and education. It is the most important language to learn if you want to be involved with anything on an international scale.

In Europe, for example German's and French do business with one another in English.

The fact is, English speakers don't need a second language as much as non English speakers need English.

There are more people learning English in China than the UK population. Why do you think that is?

Get over the fact that your native language, whatever it is, is largely irrelevant except in your own country. Globalization required a global language, which for better or worse, happens to be English.

The question was about imperialism not globalization. And my native tongue is English, so is English now irrelevant.

English is such a clumsy language, not well suited as a global language.

To answer the titles question; without a doubt. From what I've seen, English speakers seem to be the laziest when it comes to speaking, reading, or writing a second, or more, language.

Not necessarily lazy. But, whether you or the OP like it or not, English is the international common language of commerce, medicine, research, science and education. It is the most important language to learn if you want to be involved with anything on an international scale.

In Europe, for example German's and French do business with one another in English.

The fact is, English speakers don't need a second language as much as non English speakers need English.

There are more people learning English in China than the UK population. Why do you think that is?

Get over the fact that your native language, whatever it is, is largely irrelevant except in your own country. Globalization required a global language, which for better or worse, happens to be English.

The question was about imperialism not globalization. And my native tongue is English, so is English now irrelevant.

define clumsy language

btw- forgot to ask if we could agree on ONE english( oxford) and not the American or Australian bufflegab?

Why?

to substitute the F- word with commas and to make it understandable for non locals( confessed to a certain area).

for example: if you were able to speak german and i would talk in my dialect you wouldn't get a word.

got it?

I ran your reply through Google translate. It still doesn't make sense.

this shows how uncomplete google and your imagination is,isn't?

define clumsy language
I'm sure you could find a dictionary somewhere.
  • Like 1

No doubt English is a dominant language partly because of past imperialism, but there are other factors that explain it's continued dominance and indeed relentless encroachment everywhere.

Among the languages that I know, I find that English lends itself easily to both precision and ambiguity as may be required. In science and law, precision is crucial. In law, ambiguity also matters.

In poetry and prose, ambiguity expertly deployed allows for the expression of beauty, humor and pathos that may be more difficult in a more precise language.

Other factors:

Industrialization first came to England

The language of the dominant world power, first Britain, then America.

T

• Like 1

From a practical point in the immediate English is a tool to expand your horizons in learning and international trade.

In the future learning either Chinese or Japanese will be important to focus opportunities in a business.

There is an almost unlimited market in China and Japan, and although I am a North American, I can't

see the rational with the time and money being spent on North America and Europe. There is a better return and

a more stable market focusing on China and Japan.

From a practical point in the immediate English is a tool to expand your horizons in learning and international trade.

In the future learning either Chinese or Japanese will be important to focus opportunities in a business.

There is an almost unlimited market in China and Japan, and although I am a North American, I can't

see the rational with the time and money being spent on North America and Europe. There is a better return and

a more stable market focusing on China and Japan.

the chinese are learning english

The official language of the Asean Economic Zone is English! end of story

The reality is....If Thailand opens its job market to other Asean countries professionals, graduated Thais will have to compete with Cambodians to get a job sorting fish at the ports....Period.

Read the question again.Then think about how many Empires currently exist. You might conclude that imperialism and the colonialism associated with it is long gone, although some like Mr. Putin would like to see it back apparently.

Imperialism, particularly the successful establishment of the British Empire, coupled with its leading the industrial revolution and dominating naval powers lead to the increasing importance of the English language, reinforced with the replacement of Britain by the USA as the world's dominant power.

The developments in ICT, travel, and WTO's have helped create the phenomenon of globalization which might be described as corporate imperialism. In this world, English is the prime language. Chinese is not suitable as there are so many "Chinese languages" and Puthonghua is not as widely spoken as some think; same for India with over 20 written languages on their bank notes. Spanish is spoken by mainly under developed countries and Spain has not been a serious power for several hundred years. Fairly easy to see why English dominates - Britain, USA and the emergence of Australia and Canada as influential economic powers and centers of education.

English has a Anglo-Saxon and Latin origin, which is why it has such a large and rich vocabulary. Many of the great literary works were written in English by native English speakers.

However, the language cannot be held responsible for the linguistic skills of all those who purport to be native speakers. English is not a clumsy language and if you think you usage of it is, well you may need to consider the alternative reasons.

The official language of the Asean Economic Zone is English! end of story

The reality is....If Thailand opens its job market to other Asean countries professionals, graduated Thais will have to compete with Cambodians to get a job sorting fish at the ports....Period.

the reality is its a done deal and I've worked with enough thai professionals in the west to know they can hold their own

.. (partly) descending from Latin, spread by the Romans

So is French, Spanish, Italian and Romanian.

But they don't have the Anglo Saxon part that English does.

More easy (usually) for an English person to write French rather than German, but speak German rather than French.

No doubt English is a dominant language partly because of past imperialism, but there are other factors that explain it's continued dominance and indeed relentless encroachment everywhere.

Among the languages that I know, I find that English lends itself easily to both precision and ambiguity as may be required. In science and law, precision is crucial. In law, ambiguity also matters.

In poetry and prose, ambiguity expertly deployed allows for the expression of beauty, humor and pathos that may be more difficult in a more precise language.

Other factors:

T

i bag your pardon Sir T.usually i agree with most of your post but in this case i have to regret,the most precasioly is German due we combine words to make it more accurate.

Your first assignment for the day is to learn 18,000 new American English words in the book below. tongue.png

Your second assignment is to divide the population of England (53 million) into the population of America (313 million) to find what the ratio of American English speakers to England's English speakers is today. tongue.png

Your third assignment is to divide the total exports of the US ($2.3 trillion) by the total exports of The UK ($360 billion) to get an idea of who really engages in trade. tongue.png

British English is soooooo yesterday. biggrin.png

71RYBQCEWHL.gif

Your first assignment for the day is to learn 18,000 new American English words in the book below. tongue.png

Your second assignment is to divide the population of England (53 million) into the population of America (313 million) to find what the ratio of American English speakers to England's English speakers is today. tongue.png

Your third assignment is to divide the total exports of the US ($2.3 trillion) by the total exports of The UK ($360 billion) to get an idea of who really engages in trade. tongue.png

British English is soooooo yesterday. biggrin.png

71RYBQCEWHL.gif

It's still the REAL English. However much you decry it!

Other factors:

T

i bag your pardon Sir T.usually i agree with most of your post but in this case i have to regret,the most precasioly is German due we combine words to make it more accurate.

I don't doubt that German is more precise than English. I had a German client who insisted on clarity of communication and I learned a lot from working with her. While I learned no German from her, my English improved.

English though has the ability to be both precise *enough* as well as ambiguous, if need be. Ambiguity has it's uses too and I suspect Germans may not appreciate that fact.

T

Curious? The Op said that he spoke three languages, one of them English? How did he know that his friends moved seamlessly through 5 languages (none of them English?)? Teoh Chew is the language of the Thai "Shin" cabinet and the language of the elite in Singapore, is this the language that all of his friends do business in Singapore? Doing business in any Chinese except Mandarin is illegal in Singapore, he's got some very odd friends? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

One has to see it from a Thai perspective:

Thailand is a premier league player in fields like science, the arts, sports, innovation, productivity, etc. Blessed with a stable political environment, a legal-system above and beyond any doubt and an educational-system that is the envy of the world. All this is well supported by the achievements of the 649 Thai Nobel Price winners.

The cure for the worlds ailments is therefore "Thainess".

Considering all this, Thailand can comfortably await the day when Thai will replace English as the worlds universal second language.

Cheers.

clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifw00t.gifwai2.gif

Other factors:

T

I don't doubt that German is more precise than English. I had a German client who insisted on clarity of communication and I learned a lot from working with her. While I learned no German from her, my English improved.

English though has the ability to be both precise *enough* as well as ambiguous, if need be. Ambiguity has it's uses too and I suspect Germans may not appreciate that fact.

T

well said Sir T. Germans are the "borg" of the 21st century. efficient!

One has to see it from a Thai perspective:

Thailand is a premier league player in fields like science, the arts, sports, innovation, productivity, etc. Blessed with a stable political environment, a legal-system above and beyond any doubt and an educational-system that is the envy of the world. All this is well supported by the achievements of the 649 Thai Nobel Price winners.

The cure for the worlds ailments is therefore "Thainess".

Considering all this, Thailand can comfortably await the day when Thai will replace English as the worlds universal second language.

Cheers.

Swissie,

you nailed it.post of the month(so far)-love it.

Thanks for the roses, crazy chef.

This is an English speaking Forum and I do appear under "Swissie". So, everybody immediately concludes that I am from Switzerland and rightly so. I am absolutely supportive of the fact that an English Language Forum should be the playing ground of native English speakers.

So, by appearing as "Swissie", I get few responses, nobody reads my posts, (an outsider, not within the English/American/Australian community).

What to do? Open a new account with Thai-Visa and appear as "James Bond 007" and start with post Nr.1?

Cheers.

define clumsy language

I'm sure you could find a dictionary somewhere.

the fact is you cannot show me what makes the english clumsy in comparison to others which might be considered as a substitute.
No, I'm not going to spend time on it, as that is/was not the question. I don't do others' arguments for them.