Is the so called 'need' to learn English just another face of imperialism?

...They however were switching from Thai to Lao to Vietnamese to Chinese (teochew) to local dialect without pausing for breath. All agreed it was difficult to do business in town if you could not do this. And all agreed, too, they wished their English was better. But it was by no means a requirement of doing business. Though all agreed that having been to school here and to language schools the standard of instruction was appalling...

OP,

Perhaps they did say this to you.

But it's utter rubbish to say it's difficult to do business in town if you can't switch between Thai to Lao to Vietnamese to Chinese (Teochew).

I can only think they were winding you up if they did indeed say that, and you believed it. More than anything else it just shows the gaps in your own experiences in doing business in Thailand, as well as the gaps in your understanding of these languages

I guess the face of imperialism was just something to do with a chip on someone's shoulders somewhere along the line.

You and others may not like it, but English is the defacto first language in business. Yes Chinese is becoming more important, but you're dreaming or on something if you think you need Lao and Vietnamese too to get by without difficulties in business laugh.png

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edit: The one thing I do agree with OP on though is I don't know why this is in the business section. Sounds like the type of thing someone comes out with down the pub after several pints or should I say bottles of lao kaow... laugh.png and struggling to string coherent thoughts together with a chip on their shoulder .

Edited by fletchsmile

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images