How Safe / Unsafe are the lakes of Isaan - For Water Sports

Smileygc

Yep, I know a strange title, but... I was thinking in terms of water sports which result in falling in the water and parasites.

I live near Nakon Phanom and there are a few small lakes nearby the village, big enough for a strong wind reach on a windsurfer.

As I travel towards and into Sakon Nakhon, there are even bigger lakes and so dingy or catamaran sailing could be fun.

I just don't know what nasty things, whether microscopic or bigger are swimming around looking for a nice Farang host...

No doubt, this post will attract a number of tongue in cheeky remarks, but if there are any knowledgeable aquatic folk out there in cyber land, I would appreciate their views....

There are small, harmless water snakes in most of the water around here, but the things to look out for are leeches of varying size and ferocity. They are present in most of the lakes and I often need to remove them from our dog after her swim.

The occasional bigger snakes are easier to spot as most I have seen swim their heads out of the water.

I think keeping to G's idea of a small cabined, towable fishing-type boat would be more advisable.

Well in my view those waters are best avoided, ever think why the Thai's avoid them, no water ski clubs, sailing clubs, dinghy racing clubs swimming clubs etc?

Up on Terra Firma we are on top of the food chain, get involved in the marine world and we are at the bottom of the food chain.

My advice is keep clear of those lakes.

• Like 1

Well in my view those waters are best avoided, ever think why the Thai's avoid them, no water ski clubs, sailing clubs, dinghy racing clubs swimming clubs etc?

Up on Terra Firma we are on top of the food chain, get involved in the marine world and we are at the bottom of the food chain.

Thais dive into the shittiest of waters all over Issan. I don't think the lack of watersports is anything to do with risk management! Just not their bag!

• Like 2

Op: There are a handful of Wakeboarding lakes around Bangkok, I have used them in the past and they are certainly not crystal clear...

I Windsurfed in the UK and neither were some of the lakes there crystal clear.

Some of the lakes up north may be classified as reservoirs and thus water sports (windsurfing sailing) are not permitted. But this is nothing more than a guess.

I'd also guess that the simple reason Windsurfing and Sailing are not popular up on these lakes is a result of economics and a lack of interest in these activities.

It might be possible to take some water samples and have the local Uni run a couple of tests... (not sure what, but I'd guess, heavy metals and toxins, bacteria (e-coli etc))... but you'd also need enough information to compare the results with levels that would be established as safe elsewhere. i.e. there's no point going nuts because there is a trace amount of heavy metals, especially if this is found to be perfectly acceptable in recreational waters elsewhere (i.e Europe).

It might also be worth enquiring with the local authorities regarding the legality of such activities (for reasons mentioned above regarding water sources / reservoirs).

Ive seen jet skiing on a lake near Udon Thani and on the Mekong at Nong Khai. I would think sailing, kayaking, and rowing are safest as you should rarely be ditching. How about windsurfing on the Mekong at or near Nakhon Phanom which is very tame and shallow in Winter? On a cool Winter's day, of which there were many last Winter, a wet suit would be bearable and keep u safe on/in a lake.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

siampolee, on 15 Sept 2014 - 07:06, said:

Years ago there was a jet-ski and a banana boat based in Thakek, Laos opposite Nakhon Phanom and a guy still has a jet ski in a motor bike repair shop neat the River View Hotel; but won't sell it.

• Like 1