GrabTaxi’s Pattaya launch @ Ocean Marina Yacht Club – Wednesday 17th September 2014

InspirePattaya

GrabTaxi Thailand is excited to announce that it is expanding its mobile app to Pattaya, following a successful launch in Bangkok late last year.

To date, GrabTaxi has been downloaded onto more than 1.7 million mobile devices regionally, including Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand. More than 300,000 people in these countries use GrabTaxi at least once a month and one GrabTaxi booking is made every 2 seconds.inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 17-09-2014

post-197742-0-58532600-1410749741_thumb.

For more information please visit http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/grabtaxis-pattaya-launch-ocean-marina-yacht-club-wednesday-17th-september-2014/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There doesn't seem to be a lot of meter taxis around Pattaya. It will be interesting to hear people's experience using it there. With so much of the city covered by those very cheap baht buses that can probably be used to get virtually anywhere for about 20 baht, it might be a tough go selling the service there. I understand that there's a 20 or 25 baht service charge for using the service. Is that right?

By using this service am I guaranteed a taxi will pick me that will use the meter and I won't be fleeced?

Their site doesn't say much to sell the service, but there is one very strange testimonial:

"Today GrabTaxi first service from the Don Muang Soi Ruam Rudee. I'm excited to have sex. Very comfortable, I can not wait until the last two minutes. Communication with the driver's style. Thanks"

I just copied and pasted that from their site. - deleted -

Oh dear! This is also form their site: "Experience the great The actual use of passengers. Taxis and taxi drivers in the organization."

I'm afraid to ask how they're going to "use" me as a passenger. Not for sex, I hope!

Edited by waynethor
deleted one silly remark

What about that share a ride app? The one that has a lot of taxi companies quaking in their boots trying to get it banned. Any plans to bring that to Thailand?

The driving skills of the average domestic car driver here are what would have me quaking in my boots. Many seem to have neither insurance nor licences. Professional drivers are bad enough.

What about that share a ride app? The one that has a lot of taxi companies quaking in their boots trying to get it banned. Any plans to bring that to Thailand?

The driving skills of the average domestic car driver here are what would have me quaking in my boots. Many seem to have neither insurance nor licences. Professional drivers are bad enough.

"Professional drivers" in Thailand could means guys who may have been up for 3 days straight hopped up on coffee and redbull rushing through traffic to get in as many fares as possible. Do you think just because they are a 'professional driver' they are better than your average driver?

I don't know much about the share a ride app but I would imagine there are ways to filter out bad drivers. Maybe a rating system or something.

Edited by lapd

"Professional drivers" in Thailand could means guys who may have been up for 3 days straight hopped up on coffee and redbull rushing through traffic to get in as many fares as possible. Do you think just because they are a 'professional driver' they are better than your average driver?

I think that all types of driver here can be bad; some very bad indeed. But professional ones at least should be accustomed to their vehicles and to the road. Many domestic drivers here seem to drive as though they have never been in a car before, and I dont like that.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of meter taxis around Pattaya. It will be interesting to hear people's experience using it there. With so much of the city covered by those very cheap baht buses that can probably be used to get virtually anywhere for about 20 baht, it might be a tough go selling the service there. I understand that there's a 20 or 25 baht service charge for using the service. Is that right?

By using this service am I guaranteed a taxi will pick me that will use the meter and I won't be fleeced?

Their site doesn't say much to sell the service, but there is one very strange testimonial:

"Today GrabTaxi first service from the Don Muang Soi Ruam Rudee. I'm excited to have sex. Very comfortable, I can not wait until the last two minutes. Communication with the driver's style. Thanks"

I just copied and pasted that from their site. - deleted -

Oh dear! This is also form their site: "Experience the great The actual use of passengers. Taxis and taxi drivers in the organization."

I'm afraid to ask how they're going to "use" me as a passenger. Not for sex, I hope!

"very cheap baht buses that can probably be used to get virtually anywhere for about 20 baht"

If you specify to the driver where you want to go, even if it turns out to be on a regular route, it'll cost you a lot more than the 10 Baht charge for those who just get on and get off.

"Not for sex, I hope!"

Well considering how many people come here to use Thais for sex, you'd probably be in the minority.

Edited by Suradit69

If your taxi drivers can seruve the beating they are going to get from the other taxi mafia, you will be offering a great service to Pattaya. I've used you before in Bangkok and was pleased, but Pattaya is another monster.

I grabbed a passing taxi once in Pattaya who was not from there. He pulled over and quickly told me to get in. As I was getting in two motobike taxi drivers pulled in front of us and a couple of guys ran to his window out of nowhere and demanded money. He said no, so they literally drug him out of the car through his own window and beat the living crap out of him right on 2nd road while I sat in the back of the taxi. THAT is how the taxi guys operate in Pattaya, you pay or you get your ass beat.

It's the existing taxis (owned by the baht bus collective, no?) that have signed on to join Grab Taxi. It's not like they are bringing in new taxis.

Can someone explain to me how this is good news and not actually bad news?

I REALLY want to know.

Is there a mention of local service?

Is there a mention of which cars are included, which not, and ownership?

Is there a mention of fare structure?

Is there a mention of meters?

Yes real competition to fake taxi meters that don't roam is badly needed.

Call in LOCAL taxi service is badly needed.

But this is endorsed by the same powers that endorsed the ownership of the fake taxi meters by the baht bus collective.

Originally announced as being Bankgok style taxi meters and then NOT doing that ... even at the beginning.

Just basically another type of vehicle for an overpriced charter.

Choose a truck ... choose a car ... same ridiculous price.

Is this not just a tweak of the ACCESS system for the same HORRIBLE for the consumer "taxi" system?

How is that good news? Basically what could have been real competition sounding like it has been incorporated into the same HORRIBLE FOR CONSUMERS system? In other words, a HOPE KILLER for real change?

Think of it this way. Suppose a pizza company had a city locked up. Only one pizza. Priced 5 times more than Bangkok. But now you could use their MOBILE to have it delivered. The same pizza. The same artificially inflated price. Would that be good news? Or would it be bad news that the hope of any real competition to the pizza is discouraged yet again?

Again, I would like someone to explain how this is good news.

Real good news would mean REAL COMPETITION (which would provide better access, real meters, better price) or the current structure being broken down and majorly changed to include REAL Bangkok taxi style meters.

If I'm wrong about this and I don't see something is great about this, something I missed, I would be GLAD to hear it!

Edited by Jingthing

They will use the meter. It's 40 baht plus the full metered fare.. Isn't that good news? The whole point of Grab Taxi is to provide a metered service with no hassle.

How long have you lived in Pattaya? Asking that if you remember the history about this.

Where does it say explicitly they will use the meter in Pattaya?

Please don't assume because this service is good in other cities that it will be implemented the same way in Pattaya.

History shows to assume and expect that is a folly.

Where is the announcement about the meters?

What is the fare structure?

Keep in mind when the original taxi meters here announced it was all over the press these were real taxi meter cars and it would be a similar system to Bangkok.

Never happened.

Again what have I missed ... where is even the press announcement about meter use for this system?

Someone please show me ... I have been known to sometimes be dense about missing things like that.

Not that would mean it will really happen, but if they are not even saying that, even less chance of this turning out well.

Again, I would be thrilled to be proven wrong about my pessimism about this.

But this really looks like DEJA VU to me.

Sound like a "PR show" to try to prevent any REAL REFORM of the transport structure here.

Which would mean a MIX of transport ...

baht buses

REAL Bangkok style taxi meters forced under law to use meters, roaming and on call as well

A third option ... bigger buses or even another kind of futuristic mass transit plan to be developed.

Edited by Jingthing

They will use the meter. It's 40 baht plus the full metered fare.. Isn't that good news? The whole point of Grab Taxi is to provide a metered service with no hassle.

So if I walk out of Villa Market in Pattaya and ask for a taxi to Jomtien they want 400 or 500 baht but if I use the GrabTaxi App they will use the meter + 40bt?

That is good if true.

(There is a voice in my head saying 'dream on'.)

So if I walk out of Villa Market in Pattaya and ask for a taxi to Jomtien they want 400 or 500 baht but if I use the GrabTaxi App they will use the meter + 40bt?

That is good if true.

(There is a voice in my head saying 'dream on'.)

No reason not to listen to your voice on this.

Wish it wasn't so ... but see nothing so far to persuade me this isn't actually very bad news.

Maybe you are right! I'm looking forward to reports.

I assumed they would use the meter fare structure that is in place. The whole app based concept doesn't work without meters and a fixed time/distance fare structure.

I'm well aware of the history of Pattaya taxis.

OK. that's good information.

So when people start trying this, please report.

Give the route, app fare and how the payment thing actually worked out.

It would easy to "fix" a structure like this with a ridiculous minimum fare of course.

Again, sorry, the chances of this being a huge win for the transportation consuming public still seems to me to be a long shot.

I used this for the first time last night.

You download the app for FREE. There is no payment taken by the app, no putting in credit card numbers or anything at all.

You log on and it locates you, you select where you want to be picked up from. I chose Naklua soi 14, my condo (along with all other condos and important places of interest are avaible to select from).

You select where you want to go, i chose soi lk metro. It gives the distance and appoximate fare in this case 100-150B as the apporoxmate fare.

It then scans for the clostes avaible taxi, it loacted one close by, it then sends you his picture, his id and taxi number license etc.. he then calls me to confirm the pick up.

It gives you an aporx time for pick up and you can watch the taxi coming to you on the map, took him about 10 mins to get to me.

When the taxi arrived it was one of the yellow/blue taxi meters.

I get in, he clicks buttons on his ipdad then turns on meter, starting at 30B.

I get closet to LK and its a bit busy so get out early, the meter was 38B plus the 40B surcharge,. I jsut gave him 100 and was double happy about it. He even gave me a little printed recpeit.

I really dont see how jinting is ranting about how this is very bad news!? its awesome! by the way why dont you jsut DL the app and check it out? or dont you have a smart phone? I dont post much and am more of a lurker, but your rantings without even researching the serivce at all proimted me to do this. man take a chill pill and learn abit about it first. Jesus

Edited by AMP101