Bangkok train shooting: Police know identity of gunman who shot student

webfact

Police know identity of gunman

Police-know-identity-of-gunman-wpcf_728x

Noppaeong railway police said the police have now known the identity of a gunman who shot and seriously injured an engineering student of Rajamangala university on board a Bangkok train last week.

Chief of Noppawong railway police station Pol Lt-Col Akkapark Jitprayoon said the gunman is a rival student of a university.

He said eyewitnesses accounts and video footages at the Bangsue railway station have enabled the police to make a sketch of the gunman.

He said the police will seek warrant from the court to make arrest Tuesday.

However he said the shooting could not yet be confirmed to have link to the shooting dead of two students of Pathumwan institute of technology on the same day in front of Bangsue railway station which is in the jurisdiction of Taopoon police station to investigate.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/62347/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-15

Can anyone explain exactly what is a "rival student"?

Possibly a student from a rival university. They are all enemies one time or another

Ive always wondered where students get the idea Thai Unis are worth fighting about, I mean its not like they have excellent education standards or facilities.

Guess its a just simple tribe mentality, Thai style

• Like 1

What a world, what a world! Me, I remember college football games when some particularly nasty trash talk would incite some meatheads into mixing it up. And some after school free-for-alls. That was black eyes and bloody noses. But to order up a hit on a rival student? That's taking some adolescent bull$h1t mighty seriously.

I find it hard to chalk this up to a simple mix of puberty and losing face.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Can anyone explain exactly what is a "rival student"?

Possibly a student from a rival university. They are all enemies one time or another

Ive always wondered where students get the idea Thai Unis are worth fighting about, I mean its not like they have excellent education standards or facilities.

Guess its a just simple tribe mentality, Thai style

and worth as much as a thai uni degree outside of thailand

Is it customary to inform the suspect and give him time to leg it?

It's called shaking the bushes. Some kid fails to show up at school next week will only need a vague resemblance to the sketch to find himself arrested.

Well I would have been screwed if I looked like the gunman with my attendance record at school!

Depends how 'hi' a 'hiso' family he comes from.

if he is a student at a vocational school, that isn't likely to be very high at all. Hi-so folks wouldn't be caught dead sending their kid to such a place - the face loss would be too great. They'd rather lock the family disgrace in a closet.

Besides, the playing field is so tilted here in favour of the wealthy that even a semi-moron could still successfully run the family empire. Or his sister does it and he gets the credit. Either way, he doesn't need to learn how to weld or make furniture.