Thai Components connected to US TV Set?

statman78

My wife and I brought over our TV and DVD player from the USA. We have the power converters all set up and everything works great. I want to add a surround sound system and my wife wants to hook up a karaoke sysytem and possibly a video game. All the add-ons will be purchase here in Thailand. Will these things work properly with my American TV?

My wife and I brought over our TV and DVD player from the USA. We have the power converters all set up and everything works great. I want to add a surround sound system and my wife wants to hook up a karaoke sysytem and possibly a video game. All the add-ons will be purchase here in Thailand. Will these things work properly with my American TV?

Are not US TV bought in the US only NSTC system and Thailand is PAL, so unless you have auto switching from NSTC to PAL the TV will not work ? If its auto switching shouldn't be a problem

Are not US TV bought in the US only NSTC system and Thailand is PAL, so unless you have auto switching from NSTC to PAL the TV will not work ? If its auto switching shouldn't be a problem

Members

PipPip

21 posts

Posted Today, 16:47

My wife and I brought over our TV and DVD player from the USA. We have the power converters all set up and everything works great

With most modern TV sets you can switch between NTSC and the various PAL systems in the set's menu.

With most modern TV sets you can switch between NTSC and the various PAL systems in the set's menu.

Not in the US.

Why on earth would you bring a TV and DVD player from the USA?

Sorry, but that is just plain WRONG.

We bought them about 3-4 months before I found out I was being transferred to Thailand. The TV is a 56" LED HD, 3D, Smart TV. Didn't want to try to replace it here.

Not in the US.

I'll check out the TV to see if it can be switched but I have my doubts. If not I'll check into the converter that was mentioned earlier. I can always use it to watch DVDs and stream video. I can hook up my computer and watch American football since I have the NFL gameday package.

The sound system stuff will work fine, no issues for surround system audio from your DVD player,

Karaoke from here likely not, since it will likely be PAL, unless it is multi system vid out switching.

Your DVD player will play back USA Region 1 disks only.

It will NOT like the local disks, and may be not like the local bootlegs,

Usually in plastic pouches which are the majority of DVDs you see here.

A computer DVD player like a Macs will ask you to change the region if a wrong region

disk is inserted, but this can only be done 4-5 times and then locks permanently to the final choice.

You USA TV and DVD system will mostly be an orphan to the disks you brought with it and any you order from home.

Be advised the online vendors often do NOT want to ship American disks here because of region coded.

So you may need a buyer in USA to get them and send them.

European PAL disks from several countries will play, except for Region 2 encoding a problem for Asian

systems. Some local TVs will also play European SECAM disks, but same goes for region encoding blockers.

The 800-1,500 baht no name DVD players here will usually play anything, and work with Thai PAL TVs,

but brand name units Sanyo Sony, Mitsubishi LG, etc won't. But the budget DVD players also

tend to not play a whole disk all the time being super sensitive to slightly damaged disks,

and having poor data buffering that allows more data reading time before sending to screen.

So you may find the last 15 minutes of your film won't play...

Edited by animatic

Not in the US.

It's been a year or two since I retired, and I was a TV engineer in the UK, not the USA, but all major TV manufacturers would make a multi standard TV controlled by a microprocessor capable of controlling/decoding/playing all systems. They wouldn't manufacture different processors for different countries and systems but would use the same processor and turn off the options that aren't needed for a particular country.

These options can be turned back on in the menus. Some of these options are switchable in the customer menus (eg: switching PAL I for the UK and PAL B/G for Thailand) while other are only accessible via the factory menus and require an engineer to access them.

For several years now, with several/most higher end manufacturers, PAL/NTSC/Secam signals are auto detectable/switchable and only require that option to be made active via the relevant menu.

On the point about DVD's playing discs from different regions, again manufacturers would make a standard processor capable of switching to all regions then just switch on the region for the area the DVD was being sold in. Most cheap/low end players are left switched to multi region so will play anything without any changes being made while the high end manufacturers would tend to switch the players for one particular region. These can still be switched to multi region but the code/process required to do this is usually kept secret by those manufacturers. The process for making these region free can usually be found via Google and the internet.

Edited by sumrit

The sound system stuff will work fine, no issues for surround system audio from your DVD player,

Karaoke from here likely not, since it will likely be PAL, unless it is multi system vid out switching.

Your DVD player will play back USA Region 1 disks only.

It will NOT like the local disks, and may be not like the local bootlegs,

Usually in plastic pouches which are the majority of DVDs you see here.

A computer DVD player like a Macs will ask you to change the region if a wrong region

disk is inserted, but this can only be done 4-5 times and then locks permanently to the final choice.

You USA TV and DVD system will mostly be an orphan to the disks you brought with it and any you order from home.

Be advised the online vendors often do NOT want to ship American disks here because of region coded.

So you may need a buyer in USA to get them and send them.

European PAL disks from several countries will play, except for Region 2 encoding a problem for Asian

systems. Some local TVs will also play European SECAM disks, but same goes for region encoding blockers.

The 800-1,500 baht no name DVD players here will usually play anything, and work with Thai PAL TVs,

but brand name units Sanyo Sony, Mitsubishi LG, etc won't. But the budget DVD players also

tend to not play a whole disk all the time being super sensitive to slightly damaged disks,

and having poor data buffering that allows more data reading time before sending to screen.

So you may find the last 15 minutes of your film won't play...

It's good to hear that the sound system will work. I'll need to see if there is the ability to switch to PAL. If not, we can look for a converter that was mentioned.

The DVD player works with bootleg DVDs from Thailand and China. I've enen bought a few 3D movies here and they look good. I also have a cheap DVD player I bought in Shanghai when I lived thre a couple of years ago. It also plays the Thai DVDs.

Thanks for the help!