Giving my sister citizenship.

Hello,

I know for a half-Thai, we need the Thai parent's consent or as proof of evidence that we are half-thai to get the Thai birth certificate, I just like to know that if something did happen to my Thai parent aka death for example, is it possible for me to help give my sister Thai nationality if she wishes so in the future?

I just like to give her the option in the future if she wishes to change her mind. I just think that it would be a shame if she was locked out of the option completely if something did happen to our Thai parent.

Thank you.

Edited by Ws93

Your sister already has Thai nationality from birth if one of your parents is Thai.

What she lacks is proof of it since she does not have a Thai birth certificate.

After reaching the age of maturity she can do it on her own by presenting proof that one of her parents is Thai.

I see no reason not to do it now. Waiting until later just makes it that much more complicated.

• Like 1

Consent of the parents is not required. What is required is that the parenthood is established and that one of the parents has Thai nationality, for which the co-operation of the parents is handy and required if she is still a minor.

The process is simple, apply for a Thai birth certificate at the embassy in the country she was born with the required documents. Once the Thai birth certificate is issued the Thai goevrnment has a record of her existence and will be aware she is Thai.

• Like 1

Not contradict the experts here, but I recommend you contact the consulate in your sisters country of birth to see what they require. My four kids, all over the age of 20 when they applied for a Thai birth certificate, had their documents returned with a note from the Washington DC consulate that the Thai parent must apply for the birth certificate. Their mother then filled out the required form and they received their Thai birth certificates eventually. I recommend your sister obtain the Thai birth certificate soon to eliminate complications later.

It isn't that simple, my sister has had a huge fallout with our Thai parent a few years ago, still damaged now. Does it always have to be a Thai parent to recognize the child as Thai? Surely that if I have Thai citizenship then that must mean my sister is Thai as well? Same Thai parent etc.

Even on the Thai birth certificate registration, it says to write down your family size etc, who the mother and father is. My sister has the same surname as me, so it must be possible to look at my documents I have given them to prove my sister is half Thai as well?

I'm just trying to think ahead for my sister.