Hunt for killers of British pair goes on after Thai police free Myanmar suspects

webfact

I believe Prayuth is trying to say that it is dangerous to have some romance on a beach in the middle of the night. Many desperate workers (people) around who might get aroused by that and might do dangerous things.

That's how i understand it.

So it has not occurred to Prayut and Nickymaster the victims simply might have been walking back to their respective rooms, the boy probably walking the girl home out of courtesy (protection) for the girl???

Yes could be. We are all guessing I guess. At least we are not saying that Prayuth is blaming the victims. Or are we?

Didn't my sentence start with I BELIEVE?

Been here for 30 years. Have witnessed many horror stories about things happening on beaches in the middle of the night. Thailand isn't as safe as many people think. You have to be very careful. That's all Prayuth is saying in my opinion.

After reading my post you probably think that I am blaming the victims. Up to you.

• Like 2

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Prayuth is trying to say that it is dangerous to have some romance on a beach in the middle of the night. Many desperate workers (people) around who might get aroused by that and might do dangerous things.

So it has not occurred to Prayut and Nickymaster the victims simply might have been walking back to their respective rooms, the boy probably walking the girl home out of courtesy (protection) for the girl???

It is the usual Thai excuse to "save face" and "it is not our fault but YOURS"

If the evidence pointed to that they walking home then it might occur to them. But the evidence strongly points to them having sex at the time of the attack or having had it a short time before the attack. The the pictures and details of the crime point to this. It is not wild speculation. That being said I don't care they were having sex. I don't think less of them.

The PM didn't say they deserved it. His statement was awkward and not the best. Being out late in a dark places can be a risky in many countries. Doesn't mean they deserved it but it does mean people need to be reminded to be cautious. But Some TV posters here LOVE to get on their high horse and prattle on with super righteous indignation.

Edited by lingyai
  • Like 1

""We have to look into the behaviour of the other party too because this kind of incident should not happen to anybody and it has affected our image," so what "behaviour" is that? Having a holiday in Thailand or getting in the way of violent people?

He's implying they had public sex / nudity. So he is saying its OK to murder and rape someone because some Thai's sensibilities were offended. Sickening... I hope the western press have gotten a hold of this. Anyway, this PM is hardly representative of the majority of Thais....how can an unelected PM be anything else?
cheap shot. A post full of emotions. Drama queen. Shame on you.

What the hell are you talking about? Explain yourself.

You think it is ok to translate this:He's implying they had public sex / nudity.

Into this:

So he is saying its OK to murder and rape someone because some Thai's sensibilities were offended. Sickening...

I hope the western press have gotten a hold of this. Anyway, this PM is hardly representative of the majority of Thais....how can an unelected PM be anything else?

Gross exaggeration. I think it is a sick thing to do. And it won't help family and friends. It will only hurt them more.

"Britain says Thailand is the country where its citizens are second most likely to require consular assistance if they visit, behind the Philippines.

There were 389 deaths of British nationals in Thailand in the year to March 2013 -- about one for every 2,400 British visitors or residents -- although that figure includes natural causes.

But it is rare for tourists to be murdered in Thailand, although it is not uncommon for visitors to die accidentally."

Clearly a holiday in Thailand is a higher risk than a holiday in most other destinations, however, skiing, and many other sports carry a higher risk of injury than say, tennis or soccer but it doesn't stop people wanting to play them! People must, and in most case do accept personal responsibility for their choices. In this instance the outcome was a terrible shame and that's saying nothing about the PM's insensitive and reprehensible comments about the victims.... Clearly the guy has demonstrated obscene ignorance in this instance.

If I may make a suggestion the weapon used was a hoe in all my time here I never seen a farang buy a gardening tool. Now I know I'm not at every store in the nation 24-7 but I think I would be focusing in on Thai's now. Since there use to police calling all death's of farang's suicide. and end of search. I'm sure the tool used has dirt on it and other residue which can narrow where tool came from. But that would entail the police to use there brain's which is new for them. Finger prints other blood from who committed this crime. Stop looking for scapegoat and do some real police work or ask The US embassy allow the FBI take charge and solve this crime. Instead of bad mouthing these kids for enjoying they lives the way they may or may not have. There's no proof they were having sex on the beach unless the police have video tape. Judge not less you be Judged Honorable PM general no disrespect but maybe you were misunderstood in what you meant. If these were your children you would demand justice So do same for them.

Why an earth would the FBI be involved in the murder of a British couple ? like they are not busy enough scaremongering about terrorists in their own country.....

Of course the implication that the Farangs were to blame because some perverts could not control themselves is hardly a new complaint from the powers that be in Thailand, not a country known for ever blaming their own people.

So you potenial holidaymakers, vote with your feet as change will only come if the Thai's think they are going to lose out financially.

Sorry first time I have laughed during this entire case, assuming the poster was a yank, typical hahaha. Call in the FBI, the world police super amazing save the world team cheesy.gif

Strangebrew, there are surely plenty of "farangs" buying gardening tools in Thailand, in fact many of them are older men married to local women who have made their homes here and have gardens.

As you have correctly stated, you have not been to all the hardware stores in Thailand. There are indeed many, some of which are regional: Thai Watsadu, Dee Home, Mega Home, Global House are some of the major players and upcountry at least, I almost always see some "farangs" in there.

And for the record, I too buy gardening tools.

However, getting back on topic and relating it to this murder case, given the fact that "farangs" are only a tiny minority in Thailand, of course chances are that the killer is a Thai national. It's also possible the killer is Burmese, as has been suspected. Another "farang" is another possibility as murders have been committed by foreigners on other foreigners. Anything is possible. However, starting with the hoe, well I'd say chances are it wasn't purchased on the island as I can't imagine there are any hardware stores on such a small island or even any need for such a tool on the island. So the search would have to be far reaching and extend to all sorts of mom and pop hardware stores, as well as bigger chains, in nearby places like Surat Thani, Nakorn Sri Thammarat, Chumpon etc.

My niece was down there not to long ago ,,to be blunt these spots where lots of young backpackers go for a bit of a party lifestyle also attracts many of the wrong sorts of people ,just like Pattaya does , as for the PM;s comments ,well all i can say is even less tourists to clog up the streets now.

I wouldn't put young tourists enjoying a holiday break and doing what young people do (if you can remember ever being one) on a par with a bunch of old guys trawling Walking Street huh.png

• Like 1

Sad to say,

but i saw the photos last night of the two victims. I can honestly say that whoever has committed this crime needs to be caught immediately and any chance of this animal breeding stopped. I'm not surprised at the usual tripe from the LOS, it's always been constant, but the PM should seriously get his finger out and do something before the British Government does, as you might have a lot of face to lose very shortly. Bludgeoned to death with a mattock ! " Ask us when we can go out " ? I hope the British Government does with this case what they did with the couple murdered in Kanchanaburi by a RTP Sergeant, "Find him, or we'll send some people who will" Strangely enough he was caught very quickly........Really Thailand has to sort it's self out, and please no more jackanory story time from the PM.......

• Like 1

Police question backpacker as focus shifts to blonde hair found in victim's hand
By Coconuts Bangkok

kohtao.victims.courtesy.jpg?itok=kLCUPTw

BANGKOK: -- Police are questioning another Western backpacker while they attempt to establish whether a single strand of blonde hair found in the hand of Koh Tao murder victim Hannah Witheridge belongs to the person who killed her and David Miller.

The institute of Forensic Medicine will attempt to match the DNA in the golden hair to other suspects. So far, this strand of hair has been proven to not belong to either victim, police said.

Police also questioned Narongdech Karnpin and his wife, the owners of Oceanview Bangalow, where the deceased stayed, and searched the premises. Police said they found a pair of pants in David's possession which belonged to a friend named Christopher Alan Ware. Manager reported the pants were stained with Christopher's blood.

Ware, another Briton, has been held by the police for further questioning, NationTV and Manager reported.

Earlier police released three Myanmar workers in connection with the murder of the two young British tourists, as Thailand's military ruler appeared to call into question the "behavior" of the savagely murdered victims themselves.

The bodies of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, arrived in Bangkok late Tuesday for forensic examination. They were found naked and beaten to death early Monday near a beachside bungalow on the island, a diving hot spot near Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand. A bloodied hoe was discovered 35 metres from the murder scene.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/17/police-question-backpacker-focus-shifts-blonde-hair-found-victims-hand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-17

"tourists when the safe times are to be outside, we have to help them understand". does this mean that only thais are allowed out after certain times because it is dangerous for farangs or that after certain times thais are more likely to rape and kill people if they are farangs.blink.png

• Like 2

All those of us long enough in the country can not seriously be surprised about the common procedure to push the blame on the victim. Especially when he/she is a farrang.

The only difference now is, with his inappropriate and highly indelicate comment the new dear leader of the country tried to legitimise one of the most sickening aspects of Thainess: whatever the cause for trouble is- find a way to blame it on the farrangs.

Nicky you appear to be the only person who finds the comment of the P.M acceptable.

Stop it stop it stop it Chooookaaaa, stop being mean to the PM, stop misrepresenting him, because Nickymaster would never misrepresent anything about other political figures..............

i am not getting it guys. In an investigation the behavior of the victims is not important? We shouldn't be looking at that? That's all it is. Investigate and see how this can be possibly prevented. Am i saying that murdering people is ok? Am I?

People are always claiming that investigations in Thailand are a joke. If the PM says we have to look at the behavior of everybody you think he says: it is ok to kill people? Right? I don't know who has a crooked brain here.

I believe it was the callous, arrogant, and extremely insensitive way he said it, that has people alarmed, concerned, dismayed, and flabbergasted. Frankly, many of us would have expected more of him. So far, he has managed to craft an image of a thoughtful, caring man, who really gives a damn about his country, his people, Thailand's future, and combating crime, and graft. To say something like this, in the way he said it, says alot, perhaps. Not sure how much to read into it thus far, as hopefully he was taken out of context, or something was lost in translation? Hopefully. Anyway, he could have brought up the point that the investigators have to look at all angles, and all sides, prior to coming to any conclusions. That is how crime scene investigators work, worldwide. But, to have questioned the moral veracity of the victims so openly, and so blatantly, at this time, was callous, and highly improper. It was a slap in the face of the victims families, who are not concerned about Thailand's image one iota, at this moment in time. Not to mention it being highly undiplomatic, and not becoming for a PM of a nation that wants to be taken seriously, on the world stage. A few more comments like this, and he may make his nation a world pariah.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

IT'S A CLASSIC SHAME.

My TH friend has informed me in TH TV programs they told these guys (victims) wanted to make love in the beach and some-one attacked them.

They didn't say but almost, these young guys deserved which they have got.

This is a disgusting opinion.

Is this mean if some-one would like to make love in the beach have to die, have to get death penalty?

My mind has stopped end hasn't restart yet ....

• Like 1

IT'S A CLASSIC SHAME.

My TH friend has informed me in TH TV programs they told these guys (victims) wanted to make love in the beach and some-one attacked them.

They didn't say but almost, these young guys deserved which they have got.

This is a disgusting opinion.

Is this mean if some-one would like to make love in the beach have to die, have to get death penalty?

My mind has stopped end hasn't restart yet ....

An incredibly false sense of morality from a country that sells it's women's and daughter's bodies to the highest bidder, and thinks that is completely normal, and proper. I am not judging the morality of casual sex, on any level. But, to be comfortable with that, and to accept that as normal, and on the other hand condemn these young people for having sex on the beach, is a bit off, and indicative of completely incorrect, and twisted logic. Unless, what they are saying is that it is fine for a woman to get paid for sex, but bad to have sex for fun?

" Yesterday, Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha said "We have to look into the behaviour of the other party too, because this kind of incident should not happen to anybody and it has affected our image," he told reporters, adding the authorities were working "swiftly" to find the killers.

And of course the daily street fighting actions of students with fatal results, shooting actions by TH "dek-van" youths, and weekly raping murders are not a usually behaviors I guess. Where does live this man?

What kind of acts would warrant such a brutal attack?

I'm really trying to get my head around anything the deceased 'could' have done.

Could sex on the beach or something along those lines provoked an attack as brutal as this?

As for the PM's comments, where was the condolences to the families?

Shocking statement that really.

This Blonde hair in the poor girls dead hand being described as a lead , I hope they have checked to make sure its not hers

Read the post again.

"So far, this strand of hair has been proven to not belong to either victim, police said."

Edited by lovelaos
  • Like 2

As usual for crimes that are truly despicable and violent the Thais will always blame all others except themselves! One thing the Thai government should understand; we are in the time of massive globalization and instant information/social media age. Though the globalization it is not beneficial to the less well off and the poor, the truth is whenever an incident good or bad occurs the resident country/organization/authorities must always take full responsibility and not blame others/organization/governments. As for crimes like this it is always the Burmese/Myanmar, Cambodians and/or Laotians or the separatists from the south that are blamed. Instead of being isolationists they should be internationalists... own up and clear the problems!!!

• Like 1

KOH TAO MURDERS
School of slain British man flew at half mast

BANGKOK: -- Flags flew at half mast at Victoria College on Tuesday in tribute to David Miller, a former pupil who was murdered in Thailand, BBC reported.

Miller, 24, and fellow traveller Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk, were found dead on Monday. Miller worked as an intern in the St Helier offices of Australian mining company Consolidated Minerals. He was returning from a placement in Australia when he stopped off in Thailand for a holiday.

Miller’s family said he was due to leave Thailand on Tuesday.

Alun Watkins, headmaster at Victoria College, said: "David’s tragic death, and in such dreadful circumstances, has come as a real shock to those who knew him and worked with him at Victoria College.

"He was a confident, articulate member of the college community with a good circle of friends. It is hard to comprehend how that life can have been brought to such a cruel and abrupt end," BBC quoted Watkins as saying.

Friends left tributes to Miller on Facebook, describing him as a "gorgeous young man" who would be "missed by all".

The bodies have been taken to Thailand’s capital Bangkok for forensic analysis and are expected to be returned to their families after that.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/School-of-slain-British-man-flew-at-half-mast-30243460.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-17

What kind of acts would warrant such a brutal attack?

I'm really trying to get my head around anything the deceased 'could' have done.

Could sex on the beach or something along those lines provoked an attack as brutal as this?

As for the PM's comments, where was the condolences to the families?

Shocking statement that really.

my guess from what I read and seen of this is that the offender is a jealous farang influence of drugs

• Like 1

Just like Thailand to blame the foreigners for their own death. They caused it by being rich. What nonsense. Sincere condolences to the families. The next on the list for guilt would be the migrants. point one finger and four fingers point back. Since the majority of inhabitants on the island are Thais, the probability is it was a thais who murdered them. What an ethnocentric debacle. We all know that Thais never kill foreigners. They will never catch the perpetrator if they look in the wrong places.