Ex-NGO staffer tried for child rape + Accused child rapist arrested in Cambodia #Vancouver

geovalin

A ex-volunteer fired from the Svay Pak-based organisation AIM – a Christian NGO that seeks to combat sex trafficking – was tried by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for allegedly raping four former street boys younger than 10 years old who were meant to be in his care.

Presiding judge Keo Mony said that defendant Sem Sam, also known as Dara, 19, had allegedly abused the boys, who were staying at the organisation’s centre, in November and December of 2013.

“He lured the victims to play games on his iPhone. He has also displayed sexual video clips for them very often,” Mony said. “He had sex with them in the centre in exchange for allowing them to play games and watch sexual video clips on his iPhone.”

Sem Sam was charged with “sexual intercourse with a minor under 15” under the Law on the Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation, and was arrested in May based on a complaint from the head of AIM.

Chan Tha, a pastor of AIM, corroborated the allegations presented by Mony, and said that AIM became aware of the abuse when the victims came forward after the fact.

During his trial yesterday, Sam admitted to having sex with the four boys, but asked that his sentence be reduced, maintaining that the sex was consensual.

“I did not force them to have sex with me, but they agreed to do it,” he told the court.

“I know my mistake now. I would like to ask the court to reduce my sentence,” he added.

Ly Da, a lawyer representing the victims, said that each of the four were demanding $500 in compensation.

Sam’s verdict will be handed down on October 16.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ex-ngo-staffer-tried-child-rape

phnom_penh_post.png

By Patty Hastings, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published: September 15, 2014, 9:34 PM

A Vancouver man facing child rape charges was arrested in Cambodia on Saturday, six days after he failed to show up for a court appearance in Clark County.

Ian Andrew Heller, 25, was apprehended by local police in Preah Sihanouk province for having an “illegal expired passport,” according to The Cambodia Daily. He was then sent to the department of immigration in Phnom Penh. The passport, according to The Cambodia Daily, was issued in Nebraska, where Heller was born.

The arrest came nearly two months after Heller’s defense attorney and supervised release officer lost contact with him.

Heller is accused of raping a girl multiple times.

When he was released from jail last year, he was ordered to stay with his half-brother, Keith Griffith, in Kelso. Griffith told the officer that Heller moved without letting him know what his new address would be. A bench warrant was issued for Heller’s arrest at the end of July for not reporting his new address as required by law, court documents said.

Then, after not appearing for an Aug. 7 court appointment, prosecuting attorney Patrick Robinson accused Heller of bail jumping. Robinson said he hopes to get Heller back in the country soon.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/sep/15/accused-child-rapist-arrested-cambodia/

Another example of NGO workers in Cabodia not being chosen by qualifications and skills, but by who they play golf with and who their friends are. Never seen such dodgy and disturbing expats as Cambodia NGO staff, yet qualified people cant get an interview because they are not part of the "NGO good-ol-boy" club. Hopefully they will start cleaning up this system and send the overpaid NGO heads packing.