Bid for warnings on alcohol bottles

webfact

Well the safe dose depends on the person.....there are people who drink a bottle whiskey per day until they are 80, than they reduce it a bit. While I know girls who get an hangover if they drink 2 glass of wine.

That's not a valid reason for omitting any recommended safe dosage. Average or median values derived from statistics could be used. Any substance can become dangerous if too much is consumed.

One effective way of raising the average IQ of the population would be to remove all the warning labels and let nature take its course.

One problem with that appraoch is that the people who engage in dangerous drug consumption behavior may affect the health or lives of other innocent people, especially in the case of driving a vehicle whilst experiencing the effects of recreational drugs such as ethanol. Should there be a safety guideline on ethanol products that suggests not to drive within x hours of consumption? Such a written guideline may at least cause some consumers to rethink their decision to drive a vehicle and then change their mind.

Like a lot of you, I don't agree with having ugly pictures being displayed all over the packaging of your much-loved drug ethanol. But do you agree that some safety guidelines should be included for such a powerfully psychoactive drug? You may not need them, but there are others in society who could be better informed.

I notice that you have not only ignored the 2nd part of my post, you have removed it. Naughty!

There is a significant part of the population that don't wish to dragged down to the lowest common denominator. We don't need a 7 page booklet to tell us how to boil water or warning labels on anything that could possible cause harm, including taps and salt shakers.

Nor do we need to be preached to about our drug of choice (which humans were consuming from rotting fruit before they walked on 2 legs) from wowsers, reformed alcoholics, those miffed that their drug is illegal, or anybody else who wants to climb on that soapbox.

BTW there are plenty of written guidelines and reminders of penalties for drunk driving and illegal drug use; they are well known and still ignored.

There is a significant part of the population that don't wish to dragged down to the lowest common denominator.

We have to tolerate a lot of things in society due to the behavior of the lower rungs. Seeing some safety guidelines on bottles isn't as annoying as many other things. If it results in a reduction of the chance of you (or a friend or loved-one) from being hit by a driver who had consumed ethanol then it would be a net benefit.

BTW there are plenty of written guidelines and reminders of penalties for drunk driving and illegal drug use; they are well known and still ignored.

Where are the guidelines? There are none on the ethanol products themselves. I don't see any at points of sale, nor in bars, nightclubs, or restaurants. The drug producers nor dealers do not offer any safety guidelines either. Should they bear some social responsibility of the drug that they make available for consumption? If not, then would they be as bad as producers and dealers of illegal drugs who supposedly do not care if their consumers are harmed or killed through their products and only care for their own financial profit?

I am aware though that in some countries, a bar tender is not allowed to serve more ethanol drinks to a customer who is already visibly drunk (and I have experienced it first hand). Is such a safety measure practised in Thailand?