Ebola global security threat - Obama

webfact

Obama says Ebola outbreak a 'global security threat'

(BBC) President Barack Obama has called the West Africa Ebola outbreak "a threat to global security" as he announced a larger US role in fighting the virus.

"The world is looking to the United States," Mr Obama said, but added the outbreak required a "global response".

The measures announced included ordering 3,000 US troops to the region and building new healthcare facilities.

Ebola has killed 2,461 people this year, about half of those infected, the World Health Organization said.

The announcement comes as UN officials have called the outbreak a health crisis "unparalleled in modern times".

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29231400

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-17

It would be nice to see a discussion that didn't include a lot of political rhetoric.

Somebody needs to step in give the African continent some help with this problem. The US is probably the best equipped to do that, both with the military expertise and logistics and medically with the cooperation of the CDC.

First the countries need logistical help in dealing with extremely poor health infrastructure. Small, unhygienic clinics with no electricity or running water are a huge problem. Lack of knowledge about disposing of infected bodies is another big problem.

Waiting is big gamble and a big risk. If this disease mutates and is spread by air, it will be very, very difficult to control.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see a discussion that didn't include a lot of political rhetoric.

Somebody needs to step in give the African continent some help with this problem. The US is probably the best equipped to do that, both with the military expertise and logistics and medically with the cooperation of the CDC.

First the countries need logistical help in dealing with extremely poor health infrastructure. Small, unhygienic clinics with no electricity or running water are a huge problem. Lack of knowledge about disposing of infected bodies is another big problem.

Waiting is big gamble and a big risk. If this disease mutates and is spread by air, it will be very, very difficult to control.

Let me ask what it is you think these 3,000 troops will be able to do?

Are they to repair or build an infrastructure that is capable of handling a full blown ebola epidemic If so, where?

If they are unable to enter an infected zone, what good can they possibly do?

If they enter the infected zone, their own lives become at risk and they possibly become carriers of the virus.

I can see a plethora of problems facing this expedition, but I await your input.

• Like 1

Prouder to be an American when my president does good things like this.clap2.gif Yes the world does still expect leadership from the USA on matters like and the USA is still there to provide it. thumbsup.gif Kudos to Obama and best wishes to Africa and the world in combating this very dangerous menace -- EBOLA.

Well Chuck, having seen them build a massive (and secure) field hospital from scratch in a matter of days outside my office window in '90, I think they can do a fair bit of good.

I agree the US Military can do a world of good but you snipped out a very important part of my question.

Where are they going to build this hospital where it will do the most amount of good?

I presume your office wasn't in an ebola infected zone when they built that hospital in 1990 so it isn't really pertinent to this discussion.

If so, I stand corrected. If not, my question remains unanswered.

I don't know exactly what they are doing, but I am sure that the people in charge of this operation will have some plans in place. Ebola doesn't exactly have 'zones'. They may be putting up 40 or 50 small clinics.

Remember that in one of the hospitals, locals broke in and took family members out of quarantine. Some of these soldiers may just need to provide security for the hospitals.

An interview with a local person some time ago gave a clue of the ignorance. He had a family member who they had taken from a hospital and taken him home to be treated by a witch doctor.

The military are very good at logistics. While I was working in Northern Iraq years ago, there was a major Cholera outbreak. The UN was arguing themselves half to death about what to do. The people from communist countries wanted areas quarantined and no one allowed in or out. Those from democratic countries wanted less restrictive measures and more emphasis on identifying sick people. The lack of medicine meant a significant number of people were dying.

In the midst of all the discussing and arguing, the US commander in the area ordered his troops to set up a field hospital. About 30 or 40 tents were put up in a large vacant area about 15 km out of the nearest city. They took military trucks to the hospitals and clinics and move several hundred people into the field hospital within 24 hours. The military took care of transporting medical people too and from the field hospital. They took care of getting food and meals to the patients. Within a matter of weeks the epidemic was under control and within a few months the field hospital was dismantled.

What the plan is in Africa, I don't know, but when a General puts his mind to doing something, it will happen. If you don't believe me, just ask General Prayuth.

• Like 1

Well Chuck, having seen them build a massive (and secure) field hospital from scratch in a matter of days outside my office window in '90, I think they can do a fair bit of good.

I agree the US Military can do a world of good but you snipped out a very important part of my question.

Where are they going to build this hospital where it will do the most amount of good?

I presume your office wasn't in an ebola infected zone when they built that hospital in 1990 so it isn't really pertinent to this discussion.

If so, I stand corrected. If not, my question remains unanswered.

You posed a number of hypotheticals. I simply stated one good thing they can do.

I don't see why they can't enter areas of infection, they have NBC protective equipment, and train against biological attacks.

And as to where they would go, I would assume the areas of most need.

The article says they are going to "the region".

http://healthmap.org/ebola/

Edited by Chicog