UK Settlement Visa Language Test

My wife has just taken the Vantage-Siam Cambridge English KET in preparation for a settlement visa application and as has been documented elsewhere this test covers all 4 aspects of reading, writing, speaking and listening. The pass score for A1 (the minimum requirement for visa purposes) is 45 out of 100. The Cambridge website makes it clear that only an overall score is given...not one for each part so a poor performance in reading and writing could drag the score down below the pass mark. The results, however, also include a 'Candidate Profile' which shows weak, borderline, good and exceptional for each of reading and writing, listening and speaking. I know from the Immigration Guidelines that A! is assessed as weak and A2 as borderline. My question really is has anyone had a score of below 45 on the test but weak or above on listening and speaking and submitted this as evidence of meeting a minimum of A1 in listening and speaking. If so did it work? I know there has been confirmation in the past that only listening and speaking is assessed but this is difficult to do if the test only shows an overall score. Any advice would be appreciated and I am sure there are many people going through this at the moment.

From UK settlement visa basics:-

Even though the language requirement is just for speaking and listening, most, I think all, approved English test providers in Thailand insist on candidates taking, and paying for, the full test including reading and writing. You will not get a certificate unless you pass all 4 elements.

However, the embassy has confirmed that as long as the applicant has a test report showing that they scored the equivalent of A1 or better in speaking and listening then it does not matter what they scored in the reading and writing elements. Even if they failed these and so did not receive a test pass certificate. See this post from Visa Plus.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for that 7by7. I had actually read that and indeed all of your excellent guide to the application process. I think I must have read just about everything on the subject of the language test requirements. My real concern is what will the UK accept in practical terms as evidence that the applicant meets at least level A1 in speaking and listening given that the KET does not score each part but does give the profile I referred to above. I had hoped that someone might have had success with an application recently where the applicant did not get the pass of 45. Having spent most of last week at Vantage-Siam's offices there was no suggestion at any stage that anything less than a pass mark of 45 would do.

My wife sat the KET Test at Vantage Siam last week too.....i don't think that this test is as "fit for purpose' in the same way that the Bulat's A1 Test at Vantage Siam was as you cannot fail any individual modules and as you have rightly pointed out you need to get 45 or more points to get an A1....anything less is a fail...in Bulats you had to get over 10 points to get an A1....with the KET you could score lower in speaking and listening and still achieve an A1 Pass...i have had a number of discussions with staff at the Cambridge English Help desk re this and also why they decided to withdraw the Bulats Certificate....did not get too far with that one but it was clear that the staff who responded to me were not aware that you cannot use Bulats A1 for a settlement visa or for FLR now....

By the way there were a few thai women on the course last week( my wife included) who were very unhappy at having to take another A1 Test when they had already passed an A1 Bulats test before..this test was running up until June...

Cheers..

Possibly the candidate profile issued with the results will suffice? It's broken down as per the attached. Shows borderline/weak, etc.

post-194877-14109805824513_thumb.jpg

We're quite lucky regarding the test - my fiancé achieved 95/100 B1 pass the other week, so won't need to take any further tests later. (Works for Emirates, perfect English really). She found the tests very good, the process very organised, and the staff helpful.

Well if they don't issue a certificate at overall results of less than 45, but weak in speaking and listening is all that's required for the visa, they'll have to accept the candidate profile. Yet another thing that needs clarification. Tia will be taking her's in a few weeks, yes she's already passed Bulats. So we would really like to know what's needed.

Pete and Tia

Yes peeJay1959 you would think that they would have to but nothing about this is clear. The test is not designed for visa applications and as someone earlier said it is not really fit for purpose. If my wife doesn't get the magic 45 I would expect her profile to show at least weak in listening and speaking and that should be enough but at no stage of the training or the test was there any mention that less than a pass of 45 would do. I had really hoped that there was someone out there who had tried this and could report. There is a visa helpline that can be e mailed or called. I have sent 2 e mails and have yet to receive a reply. If the result on Friday shows less than 45 but A1 (weak) level in listening and speaking I will call them and try to get a sensible answer. If I do rest assured that I will let everyone know.

<snip>

The test is not designed for visa applications and as someone earlier said it is not really fit for purpose.

It is unfortunate that no approved test provider in Thailand offers a speaking and listening test only; no doubt for their own commercial reasons they insist on candidates sitting all four elements.

BTW, all four elements, speaking, listening, reading and writing, are required for those applying under the points based systems for students and workers.

If the result on Friday shows less than 45 but A1 (weak) level in listening and speaking I will call them and try to get a sensible answer. If I do rest assured that I will let everyone know.

As I said above, the embassy have confirmed that if her test result shows she scored at least A1 in speaking and listening then this will meet the requirement.

Even if she failed reading and writing and so doesn't get an actual certificate.

Thanks 7by7 for your help as always. The profile shows weak, borderline etc for listening, speaking, reading and writing not A1, A2 etc. The only 'score' as such is the overall mark which is 45-69 for A1. The pass mark is 70. So in your experience would you think they will accept the 'customer profile' showing not a score but just weak or borderline as a result in satisfaction of their requirements? I think there are a lot of us out there sweating on this and I suspect a lot of people are re sitting when it may not strictly be necessary.

As far as I'm aware the result paper should show the grade, as per the example posted above, and provided that grade in speaking and listening is at or above A1, or the equivalent, then that is sufficient.

If the paper you have says that scoring 45 to 69 means a grade of A1 and if she achieved this score, or better, then I think that should be sufficient; but to be honest I'm not sure.

Maybe a good idea to PM Thai Visa Express; he deals with this on a regular basis.

My wife has just got her result which was 59 so a comfortable A1 in the end. My panic is over but I still haven't been able to get an answer to my question about the Candidate Profile. I am awaiting a reply from Cambridge English about this...I will post with their response.

Further to my post above Cambridge English have now replied as follows.

"As you stated below, the KET exam is made up of 4 components. For level A1 I believe the Home Office requires a pass with a weak in all 4 components. You can view this on their websitehere.

If you are unsure which exams are acceptable for the visa you are applying to, please ask the Home Office directly as they will be able to assist you further on their requirements.

I hope this helps. Do let me know if you have any other questions."

Obviously this does not help and it is also now clear that Cambridge English who supply the approved test do not know what is required for a UK visa. The whole thing is ridiculous and puts people through more than should be necessary.

Having said all that my wife did get level A1 (and in all 4 components) so I am reluctantly giving up on this as I do have a life to lead (hopefully back in the UK next year).