New TEFL teaching requirements?

laowai1960

A month or so ago I heard about a Certificate in Professional Teaching being offered by New Era University which reportedly meets the requirements of the Thailand Ministry of Education for teachers such as myself who have a degree in a field other than education. I sent an email inquiry to NEU and they sent me an information pack.

Today I received a follow up email from NEU, reprinted below with the relevant commentary highlighted in red.

New TEFL teaching requirements to be announced by the Thailand Ministry of Education at the end of September?

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To: Xxxxxxxx ([email protected])

Re: Upgrading your teacher qualifications

Dear Xxxxxxxx

This is a reminder that we are now enrolling for the forthcoming semester of the newly introduced Certificate in Professional Teaching (CPT), offered by New Era University in the Philippines and available to students here in Thailand. We urge you to consider this cost-effective diploma for achieving a permanent teacher’s licence in Thailand, since the deadline for enrolment is October 17th.

We’re pleased to announce three developments;

The start date has been postponed to November 3rd to accommodate some expected announcements from the Thailand Ministry of Education regarding TEFL teaching requirements, possibly at the end of September.

The course price has been discounted 10% for this first enrolment only, to encourage early adopters.

Installment plans can also be accommodated enabling you to pay monthly, speak to us for details. continued .........

Your email wasn't from the NEU. It was from an agent selling their cpt program.

Well, UniTEFL is the only representative in Thailand offering this course on behalf of NEU so does it matter?

To the OP- It's not about new TEFL requirements. It's believed that this month the TCT will announce the (new) requirements for a waiver and teacher license for working in basic education schools. The CPT offered by UniTEFL might make its graduates eligible for a TCT teacher license. Let's wait and see.

Edited by aidenai
  • Like 1

The CPT offered by UniTEFL might make its graduates eligible for a TCT teacher license. Let's wait and see.

Why wait? Go ahead and pay and save ten percent now! In addition, since it's from the Philippines you can use the certification worldwide and perhaps get a teaching gig in the U.S.A. or England. One wonders why so many Filipino's come and teach in Thailand where they only make triple what they could in the P.I.. In England, it's more like ten times the Philippine teachers wage.

The CPT offered by UniTEFL might make its graduates eligible for a TCT teacher license. Let's wait and see.

Why wait? Go ahead and pay and save ten percent now! In addition, since it's from the Philippines you can use the certification worldwide and perhaps get a teaching gig in the U.S.A. or England. One wonders why so many Filipino's come and teach in Thailand where they only make triple what they could in the P.I.. In England, it's more like ten times the Philippine teachers wage.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic !

• Like 1

Please tell me you are being sarcastic !

It's no joke or sarcastic mate. The Thai's have been accepting Philippine degrees for years and in addition, we know about the nurses who are recruited worldwide. It's only a matter of time before teachers are the new "Philippine Heros" who send money back to the Islands. Offering a campus or online degrees in Thailand to teachers who are in a quagmire is a brilliant business plan. Some how they will be convinced the TCT will accept them and the degree and grant them a TL enabling them to double their own wage to that of an international school standard, something the 100K a month recently mentioned. Think it through. Wouldn't you pay someone in the Philippines to help you get 100K in wages here in Thailand teaching and doing basically the same job you are now?

So you expect this qualification will allow teacher to compete with qualified teachers from western countries? Think again....How many Filipinos work in the top schools in Thailand? Not too many.

Even nurses from the Philippines are not automatically accepted to be nurses overseas. Certainly that applies in Australia. Even my wife, who is a qualified nurse here, would need to do a course before nursing registration.

International schools will hire Filipinos as teaching assistants. The salaries in no way compare to the Western teachers.

My wife is a Filipina, who works in an International school in Chiang Mai and she get payed the same salary as all the other teachers. Native or foreigner. And so it should be. Any decent International school will pay his qualified teachers the same salaries, otherwise they're not worth having the name "International". They should change it into puppet school than. wai2.gifwai2.gif

International schools will hire Filipinos as teaching assistants. The salaries in no way compare to the Western teachers.

My wife is a Filipina, who works in an International school in Chiang Mai and she get payed the same salary as all the other teachers. Native or foreigner. And so it should be. Any decent International school will pay his qualified teachers the same salaries, otherwise they're not worth having the name "International". They should change it into puppet school than. wai2.gifwai2.gif

That is an absurd comment. I have never worked at a school where all the teachers get paid the same. What about length of service?

No disrespect to anyone here, but if I were to enroll my daughter at an international school I would expect her English teacher to be a native speaker. Filipinos are not native speakers of English. Sorry but that's the way it is.

• Like 2

That is an absurd comment. I have never worked at a school where all the teachers get paid the same. What about length of service?

No disrespect to anyone here, but if I were to enroll my daughter at an international school I would expect her English teacher to be a native speaker. Filipinos are not native speakers of English. Sorry but that's the way it is.

Yep pretty much every international school I've seen adverts for when hiring they specificaly state Western trained (and usually follow up with UK, US, etc.) The wife is very fortunate in this case, and I stand by my previous statement. Most international schools will hire western trained staff only, that's what the big bucks are for. If international schools could get away with charging 500,000 baht or more a year for tuition and still hire filipino staff I'm sure they would.

Protip: They can't.

First thing that interests me. Are there going to be changes? If so exactly what are they?

second Any philipino that is teaching would be better teaching here than in UK, US or other western countries. Yes the wages are higher but so to is the cost of living

What does anyone know about this university?

As to native English speakers. OP have you not noticed that there are a great number of European teachers that are teaching in schools that English is their second language but they are being hired because they are white.

Let me a little bit more clear on this one, and with no disrespect to you or your response, but it's pretty obvious for most of the people that teachers will be paid different salaries according to the years that they have been teaching. There is however no difference between nationalities when deciding in which salary level they belong. And many of the Filipinos teaching here, their English pronunciation is even better than some of these "native" speakers.clap2.gif

• Like 1

We don't actually think that the cost of living difference is so high that it would be a selling point for Thailand do we? Keep in mind that in America the Filipino teachers get paid a local wage, so somewhere in the neighborhood of $45,000 USD a year. What are they on here, around $6,000 last time I checked.

I realize they to do have to pay in for recruiters and such (and those fees are considerable), however I fail to see how they would be worse off financially in a Western country then they would be here.

Let me a little bit more clear on this one, and with no disrespect to you or your response, but it's pretty obvious for most of the people that teachers will be paid different salaries according to the years that they have been teaching. There is however no difference between nationalities when deciding in which salary level they belong. And many of the Filipinos teaching here, their English pronunciation is even better than some of these "native" speakers.clap2.gif

In my 16 years of teaching here I am yet to meet one

• Like 2

Yep pretty much every international school I've seen adverts for when hiring they specificaly state Western trained (and usually follow up with UK, US, etc.) The wife is very fortunate in this case, and I stand by my previous statement. Most international schools will hire western trained staff only, that's what the big bucks are for. If international schools could get away with charging 500,000 baht or more a year for tuition and still hire filipino staff I'm sure they would.

Protip: They can't.

Maybe you've been hit with this xenophobic virus that seems to affect so many Thais. In any professional business people get hired for their qualifications and expertise. Only in this part of the world people seem to think that skin color adds to one's intelligence. If a teachers has a neutral english pronunciation and has the experience needed for that job, you're background doesn't matter. Even in Prem, one of the most prestige International schools in Chiang Mai, you will find several non native teachers. True, it's not that common, but it does happen. It depends how professional a school is. clap2.gifclap2.gif

So; yes they can.

And many of these native Dutch speakers here, their pronunciation in Tagalog is even better than some of these "native" Tagalog speakers.

Doesn't that sound weird to you? I might be wrong. Good day. Don't get too cheesy, please.-thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

@lotsinisaan; I know that you're a teacher here for quite some time, so I would have expected a more.............. response. We all know that some of these 'native' speakers with a heavy accent are nearly impossible to understand, not only for non-native but also for native speakers. I hope I don't have to explain all the different English accents and dialects to you. So yes, there are some Filipinos with much better English pronunciations than some native speakers. And to compare Dutch speakers to Tagalog, well thats just........... you fill in the blanks.wai2.gif

• Like 1

I have a hard time believing that a person with only a BA educated in the Philippines is earning 80-100k. Also I am surprised that you know the salary of every teacher at the school she works at. If your statement was that she is paid a standard salary and not a lower one that is one thing but making a claim that she is paid as much as everyone else is usually a false claim.

" There is however no difference between nationalities when deciding in which salary level they belong."

Not always true. But I will agree that is more dependent on their education than nationality. As for comparing teaching jobs in the western countries most couldn't get hired as teachers with their degrees from the Philippines. It is not their ethnicity that is the issue but the lower standard of education.

And many of the Filipinos teaching here, their English pronunciation is even better than some of these "native" speakers.clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif"

MANY? There might be 1 if they were educated in a western country or have lived outside of the Philippines for most of their lives. But There is no way that non natives can speak better than natives. A native speaker can always tell when a non native is speaking. If your statement was that there are many talented and educated Filipinos capable of teaching in international schools, I would agree. But your claims are just so bold and over the top it shows your complete bias.

As for the changes in TEFL requirements, there aren't any. What this business is doing is trying to sell a product using fear. They are linking themselves with any institution they can to improve their name. Those that have been around for a while no the truth about this organization and how it got its start. Also any business especially online ones that don't tell you who the owners are, should be avoided.

This program is hoping that people are desperate to get their teacher's license that they will sign up for their program before it is approved and meets the requirements. Personally, I would rather get an education through a reputable school not a degree mill.

• Like 1

A native speaker can always tell when a non native is speaking.

That's an excellent point. I always find forcing students to speak correctly "as I do" has been met with a very good reception and effort. However, when I see non native speakers being hired by the Thai people who think their English is native or "good accent" I really just shake my head in disbelief and shame. Why not let a Native English speaker have a conversation with the applicant to determine his/her English being native? Yes, you guessed it....it would cause a loss of face.

If you want to get your Thai TL, paying a Philippine University, be it online or going to Manila yourself, but paying.....it might actually work. It's working for the Filipino's. Westerners getting B.A.'s in Education and/or Masters in Education ? Time and money will soon tell us.

@lotsinisaan; I know that you're a teacher here for quite some time, so I would have expected a more.............. response. We all know that some of these 'native' speakers with a heavy accent are nearly impossible to understand, not only for non-native but also for native speakers. I hope I don't have to explain all the different English accents and dialects to you. So yes, there are some Filipinos with much better English pronunciations than some native speakers. And to compare Dutch speakers to Tagalog, well thats just........... you fill in the blanks.wai2.gif

You're biased. A Dutch national selling himself and his Filipino girlfriend as teachers better than native speakers of English. What's your agenda, boereke?

Edited by aidenai
  • Like 2

You're biased. A Dutch national selling himself and his Filipino girlfriend as teachers better than native speakers of English. What's your agenda, boereke?

I filled in the blanks and my decision was "cheesy". Honestly speaking, I'm more than happy to have guys like aidenai on this forum.

Hang me on the highest tree, but if I'd like to learn Dutch, I'd go to a native Dutch speaking person.

How would you know, if she mispronounces a word, or using the wrong sentence structure? Because you're native Dutch?

There're people and people. And too many people are making too many problems.This one is for you and your wife:

And thanks for the flowers, as well. Nothing against your coffee shops, roughly speaking. facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

What a leap; how do you equate the word "International" to equal pay? Teachers' qualifications differ; consequently, so do their salaries. In reference to schools, the word "international" in their name simply implies some professed international standard rather than the host country's educational standard.

• Like 2

The real definition on an 'International School' is not related to the ethnicity or nationality of the teaching population.

It is related to the curricula taught which is generally and significantly different to that of its host country. And yes, the salary structure of that school should be applied to all, regardless.

Edited by Phatcharanan

What a leap; how do you equate the word "International" to equal pay? Teachers' qualifications differ; consequently, so do their salaries. In reference to schools, the word "international" in their name simply implies some professed international standard rather than the host country's educational standard.

It's the curricula first and foremost but yes, international standards should, or do, apply