Airport Rail Link a model of failure: Thai editorial

webfact

shame it worked for many people who work at the airport plus the people who knew it worked and was a good way to get into bkk when they arrive.the taxi was always a rip off and now it will continue.hope it does not shut down

It is a bit unreasonable to say "the taxi was always a rip off" sure some taxis would try to rip people off and succeed, but the vast majority do the right thing and charge by the meter. You can get from the airport to just about anywhere in the city from approximately $5 to $17.

• Like 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a white elephant from day one. Aside from the maintenance issue there is inadequate transport to and from Makasan and that is why tourists never used the check-in options there. It has always been a nightmare getting a cab at Makasan. Bangkok Urban Planning. An oxymoron?

They could easily help the patronage by moving Mor Chit 2 bus depot to Makasan and move half of the mini buses from Victory as well. then make bus only access roads to and from the elevated toll way with special bus lanes with auto pay tolls and you would have a very efficient system connecting with SRT & MRT and BTS only 1 or 2 stations away. There is even a railway station not far from it although I think there are only a few trains a day, but with more people they could increase that service as well.

No need for an enquiry as everyone knows the problem is with the State Railway of Thailand. It should be operated by BTS or similar private operator.

Exactly, this is completely the fault of SRT, they are completely incapable of running a single track meter gauge and you expected them to be able to run an electrified and dual track standard gauge system? But to be fair the whole idea behind this line was so that it could be extended east towards Pattaya and Rayong and it was meant to be a high speed system rather than a mass transit system like the BTS was. Unfortunately a series of coups and ridiculous mismanagement of the country and changes of plans totally wrecked this project. This is why Thailand has to have a single government that isn't constantly attacked and let them do their job.

• Like 1

No need for an enquiry as everyone knows the problem is with the State Railway of Thailand. It should be operated by BTS or similar private operator.

I don't disgree with that at all.

When you consider the "track record" (pun intended) of SRT, this news about the airport rail link should come as no surprise.

post-18167-0-88188400-1411011066_thumb.j

Their existing rolling stock gets the minimum amount of advance planning, maintenance and upgrading. The derailmants and accidents that happen with alarming frequency in this country indicate that the tracks themselves get the same level of attention.

There will be hell to pay if the airport link goes down for a year. Even though it may not be particularly effective for its airport purpose, I know of many Thais who have moved into the vicinities of the stations and rely on the "commuter" trains for transportation.

It is amazing that such a vital piece of urban infrastructure can become so neglected... or maybe not, because this is Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

Exactly! I think a lot of people have overlooked this fact. It is difficult for me to characterize the airport link as a failure when it now benefits 50,000 commuters per day. This shows that it is very important to ordinary Bangkok residents making their daily trip to and from work. If it is solely needed for this purpose, why should there be such concern for tourists getting to and from the airport?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But the fact is that, from the time the Thaksin administration signed the first contracts in 2005 to its official opening in 2014, no one seems to have had any sensible plans for this infrastructure project.

No sensible plans? Seems to be a hallmark of most Shinawatra projects. But what the heck, they were elected so it's ok, doesn't matter how much money was flushed down the toilet.

Let's be fair....there was also another military coup and Abhisit Democrat Party Government in that timespan. What was their contribution to a better maintained system? By the time you get to the Yingluck government (cut short by another coup), the Airport Link was already a legacy system in trouble.

• Like 2

But the fact is that, from the time the Thaksin administration signed the first contracts in 2005 to its official opening in 2014, no one seems to have had any sensible plans for this infrastructure project.

No sensible plans? Seems to be a hallmark of most Shinawatra projects. But what the heck, they were elected so it's ok, doesn't matter how much money was flushed down the toilet.

The rail link itself is fine. The problem here is the lack of maintenance and that is the responsibility of the SRT. Lets also not forget that there was 2 coups and 4 administrations which drastically different plans since then.

Is it an ideal system? Definitely not. However it easily beats sitting in a taxi for hours. I have used it several times and have never had a problem, I must say.

Try using at rush hour at, say, Hua Mak station going towards Phaya Thai on a regular basis and then get back to us.

Edited by teatree

Is it an ideal system? Definitely not. However it easily beats sitting in a taxi for hours. I have used it several times and have never had a problem, I must say.

Try using at rush hour at, say, Hua Mak station going towards Phaya Thai on a regular basis and then get back to us.

That's a frequency problem due to lack of rolling stock, not an actual flaw in the system itself.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Let's be fair....there was also another military coup and Abhisit Democrat Party Government in that timespan. What was their contribution to a better maintained system? By the time you get to the Yingluck government (cut short by another coup), the Airport Link was already a legacy system in trouble.

Your post might seem more accurate and less like red sycophancy if there had been one train serviced in two and a half years of the Yingluk government, as the rolling stock approached its service limit.

I actually loved the airport raillink as it is a hassle free trip into town when you have little luggage (and since i lived at victory monument).

But the planning has been so poor. You get dropped off at one of the stations, which had no escalators or elevators at the start, and then you are in the middle of the city at a busy road. No follow up travel opportunities, information, or taxi stands. Really nice wgen you have big bags and a couple of tired kids...

I think you would be able to find a taxi in downtown Bangkok.

That's a frequency problem due to lack of rolling stock, not an actual flaw in the system itself.

The concrete and steel is fine, I agree. The problem is with the human part of the system.

The ARL should be run by the BTS. Not perfect but I'm sure they could run an efficient system.

When I think of SRT the film 'Idiocracy' springs to mind.

• Like 1

There will be hell to pay if the airport link goes down for a year. Even though it may not be particularly effective for its airport purpose, I know of many Thais who have moved into the vicinities of the stations and rely on the "commuter" trains for transportation.

It is amazing that such a vital piece of urban infrastructure can become so neglected... or maybe not, because this is Amazing Thailand.

Agree about the role of the ARL in terms of being a local commuter rail service along that corridor... ie... the City Line. It has been well-utilized, and could have been even more if the SRT hadn't totally mismanaged the project.

As for the higher-priced Airport Express service, that's been a total waste ever since the beginning.

As for the line maintenance issues, it's AMAZING to me that through all the versions of this debacle, I can't recall seeing a single news report that actually had anyone from SRT or its operating subsidiary for the ARL explaining how they could have ended up in the current horrible situation. A sad, sad commentary on how things (fail to) operate here.

• I live near this line in Thonglor/Ekkamai and expected that there would be a station serving that large residential community and the many businesses, big and small, on New Phetburi Road. Wrong. In fact, mind-bogglingly, between Ramkamhaeng and Makkasan, a distance of several kilometres, there is not a single station, and further out the gaps between stations are also ridiculously large. To build an urban railway without frequent stops for commuters at centres of population and commerce is absolutely ridiculous, but that's what they did.

To be fair, new statons could probably be added at a later date as need arises.

There is a lot of undeveloped land between Suvarnabumi and Hua Mak and I guess they will probably add more stations as the land gets built on and the population increases.

If they close it for a year, the road traffic is going to increase significantly. The ARL to be honest has become more like a commuter train for the suburbs, as opposed to serving the airport passengers.

Very true, a couple of my staff use it as a commuter train. I guess there is no real reason why it cannot function as both.

Never quite understood the need for Makkasan express trains, but I do use the city line to Phaya Thai often; with pretty painless (unless lugging a suitcase) transfer to BTS it made for a perfect way to get to BKK. I can reliably get from Ari to both DMK and BKK in ~40 minutes, which is great if you travel a lot. Be a shame if they scrap the ARL.

• Like 2

Never mind! there are other transport methods

BUT this shouldn't be an excuse for passengers arriving in Bangkok to have to rely on thieving taxidrivers as their only means of getting to their destination.bah.gif( like it was in the old Don Muang days rolleyes.gif )

There is absolutely no excuse why they can't temporarily adopt the Seoul Incheon International Airport transport model by introducing a fleet of limousine buses, which are inexpensive, comfortable and run like clockwork. This transportation system works very well .

http://www.seoulstopover.com/program/limousine.asp

Edited by Asiantravel

Never mind! there are other transport methods

BUT this shouldn't be an excuse for passengers arriving in Bangkok to have to rely on thieving taxidrivers as their only means of getting to their destination.bah.gif( like it was in the old Don Muang days rolleyes.gif )

There is absolutely no excuse why they can't temporarily adopt the Seoul Incheon International Airport transport model by introducing a fleet of limousine buses, which are inexpensive, comfortable and run like clockwork. This transportation system works very well .

http://www.seoulstopover.com/program/limousine.asp

DM always had and still has a rail station right next door with a flyover from the mezzanine level of the airport. Fares were B7 to Hualamphong and I always got filthy looks paying with a B1000 fresh from the ATM.

• Like 1

Never quite understood the need for Makkasan express trains, but I do use the city line to Phaya Thai often; with pretty painless (unless lugging a suitcase) transfer to BTS it made for a perfect way to get to BKK. I can reliably get from Ari to both DMK and BKK in ~40 minutes, which is great if you travel a lot. Be a shame if they scrap the ARL.

The express is perhaps the biggest joke of the whole system. Absolutely pointless, about 10 mins quicker than the Cityline and just not needed with the airport big relatively close to town.

I have actually been on a crowded Cityline train that had to wait for an express train to pass by WITHOUT A SINGLE PASSENGER onboard.

The ARL won't be scraped. The Cityline is too popular for that to happen and passenger numbers are only going to increase when the system gets back to normal and headway is reduced.

But they most certainly should scrap the express. Immediately.

• Like 1

never taken it. never will.

Is there a particular reason why you haven't?

A reason may give your post some relevance.

at 20 40 minutes door to door from my place on soi 11 in bangkok in a taxi at most times of day, its a false ecomony for either money, time or convenience.

Edited by HooHaa

Lots of commuters will be disappointed if/when the Airlink shuts down.

BTW since when is 4 + 4 = 9 ?

"pulled four of the nine trains out of service, causing delays and increasing the workload for the equipment still in operation. Now the four trains remaining in use also need to be taken"

That's just a shining example of the "Thai Edjumacation System"! 4+4 = 9 because of the tea money that is not disclosed. It's like a parallel Universe here. 1+1=3, White is Black, Black is White, dogs sleeping with cats, so forth and so on. But hold on there's more! The 7-11 Corporation employs more cashiers with University Degrees here in Thailand than any other convenience store chain on the Planet. TiT! cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I noticed a lot of work on an overhead rail system close to Don Muang recently. Is this the Suvarnabhumi/Don Muang airport link or something completely different? Ital -Thai were the contractors of course. Will those involved have learnt from the current debacle?

This is the new MRT Red Line.