Dvd Regions

jayenram

I am aware that there are 6 basic DVD 'regions' in the world. Has anyone any idea why the DVDs are encrypted. When I was w*rking for a living, I travelled quite extensively and bought media from many different countries (DVD was still in it's infancy then). I would have been quite upset to learn that I may need up to 6 different players to view my collection.

I am aware that there are 6 basic DVD 'regions' in the world. Has anyone any idea why the DVDs are encrypted. When I was w*rking for a living, I travelled quite extensively and bought media from many different countries (DVD was still in it's infancy then). I would have been quite upset to learn that I may need up to 6 different players to view my collection.

99,9% of the players can be made region-free, some by simply pushing a code in and some by installing a chip.

One reason why they do it is the release dates. For example some movies are out on DVD in the US before they reach cinemas in Europe/Asia

The origional excuse was to prevent piracy. ie if you buy a disc in Asia you cannot play it in US or ....

Unfortunately it took about 5 minutes for the folk doing the copying to remove the region coding.

My Ex has bug*er of a DVD player, it will not play anything that is not correctly coded for our region including backups of our "real" DVD's. The only reason it annoys me is the discs I bought my son will not play on his mother's machine, and I wasted an hour proving it was not the discs. They all worked on my machine :o . Now junior has another reason to visit dad. (That and his recent internet gaming adiction.)

Edited by Chang_paarp

There are many software programmes around that will make your DVDs region-free. I've found the best to be CloneDVD, which not only removes the region restrictions, but allows you to back up the DVD that YOU bought with YOUR money.

Just means, of course, that you need a computer with a DVD writer, and some blank discs, but the programme is easy to use. The bad news is that it costs $100. The good news is that 1 - there is a free 14-day trial if you Google for it, and 2 - if you live in Thailand you can probably find it at a 'bargain price' of 100 baht or so.

Actually, if you use the trial, you can delete it (including references to it in the Registry) and download it again. If they priced it at a more reasonable level I wouldn't feel the need to do that.

There's always a way around greed.

all moden dvd can be made region free by putting in a code, go to google and put your model region free code youcan unlock it.

I've checked quite a number of the websites but they don't appear to have my model listed (Denon DVD 2500). I'll keep checking.

all moden dvd can be made region free by putting in a code, go to google and put your model region free code youcan unlock it.

I've checked quite a number of the websites but they don't appear to have my model listed (Denon DVD 2500). I'll keep checking.

Call Denon and ask them for the code.

Most players these days should play all regions.Companies that try and restrict this are arsewholes :o

Try this

1. Put in the disc.

2. You'll see the RCE warning sign, a world map

3. Press MEMORY on the remote control.

4. Press 01 in the Title Box.

5. Press 00 in the Chapter Box.

6. Press ENTER or PLAY Note: MENU may not work.

Experimenting with title 2 and chapter 1 to get you the special features.

this is what I found in google on your player, see if it works as this "suppose" to work on most players

There are many software programmes around that will make your DVDs region-free. I've found the best to be CloneDVD, which not only removes the region restrictions, but allows you to back up the DVD that YOU bought with YOUR money.

Just means, of course, that you need a computer with a DVD writer, and some blank discs, but the programme is easy to use. The bad news is that it costs $100. The good news is that 1 - there is a free 14-day trial if you Google for it, and 2 - if you live in Thailand you can probably find it at a 'bargain price' of 100 baht or so.

Actually, if you use the trial, you can delete it (including references to it in the Registry) and download it again. If they priced it at a more reasonable level I wouldn't feel the need to do that.

There's always a way around greed.

Barry,

DVD decoder, DVD shrink. Are readily available on the web, pay the author if like them and use them.

I use them to remove region coding and to remove the adverts and extranious stuff I never watch or use, like the Greek, Spannish and other soundtracks. My brother fixes it so his young son puts the dics in the payer and get the movie no menus, no other stuff, a lot less wear and tear on the remotes too.

For some reason this does not work with the Ex's player, will have to look for the coding to liberate it.