Thai PM 'sorry' for bikini remarks after Brit murder

webfact

Thai PM 'sorry' for bikini remarks after Brit murder
by Boonradom Chitradon

BANGKOK, September 18, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's junta chief apologised Thursday for suggesting tourists in bikinis could be more vulnerable to attack, comments which caused an international outcry following the brutal murder of two British holidaymakers.

Prayut Chan-O-Cha, who is also prime minister, on Wednesday drew condemnation after questioning the safety of female tourists in the kingdom in off-the-cuff comments to government officials.

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prayut -- who is also prime minister -- said.

But "can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?"

The remarks came just two days after the battered bodies of British tourists David Miller, 24 and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on the southern resort island of Koh Tao.

In a rare public moment of contrition from the tough-talking army chief, Prayut said he did not mean to cause distress.

"I'm sorry that it hurt people," Prayut said at a hastily convened press conference in Bangkok.

"I didn't intend to insult or criticise anyone. I just warned that sometimes people have to be careful... today Thailand is safe except there are some bad guys -- like anywhere in the world."

Thailand's image as a tourist haven was battered by months of political protests that ended in May's army coup and has been further damaged by the murder of the Britons.

The incendiary words from Prayut, who seized power from the elected government in May, prompted the British Embassy in Bangkok to ask for a "clarification" raising its "concerns" over his remarks.

John Sifton, Asia Advocacy Director at Human Rights Watch, branded the comments 'demeaning'.

Speaking before Prayut issued an apology he said: "Prime Minister Prayut's off the cuff remark unfortunately implies that women victims of violent crimes are somehow responsible for the abuse they suffered because of what they were wearing.

"This sort of statement demeans women -- and if that was not his intent, then he should issue a statement clarifying matters."

- No DNA breakthrough -

Distraught relatives of Witheridge broke down in tears and hugged each other ahead of a police briefing in Bangkok on Thursday, as the hunt for the killers of the British pair continued to draw a blank.

On Thursday, police continued to hunt for clues on the small, normally laid-back diving island of Koh Tao as post-mortem examinations of the victims' bodies in Bangkok did not find any DNA links to 12 people they have questioned so far.

Those include two of Miller's British friends who were asked to stay in Bangkok pending forensic results -- and several Myanmar migrant workers.

The British men were now "free to return home," regional police commander Panya Maman told AFP.

Experts tested traces of semen and a hair found at the crime scene but could not find a match.

With no arrests and an apparent lack of new leads, it is unclear where the police investigation can turn after nearly four days scouring sparsely populated Koh Tao.

Thailand's key high season for tourists is just two months away and the kingdom is desperate to reassure visitors after a year which saw takings slump because of political turmoil.

The governor of Surat Thani province -- which covers Koh Tao -- said the island would no longer host spin-off parties of the "full moon" beach raves which draw backpacking hordes to neighbouring Koh Phangan.

"We don't want any more crimes," governor Chatpong Chatraphuti told AFP, adding hotels and resorts would have to install new security cameras and lighting.

The junta has vowed to restore Thailand's reputation as the "Land of Smiles", embarking on a clean-up of resorts after a series of complaints about scams, assaults and even police extortion.

The army imposed martial law in the days before the coup and then a nationwide curfew afterwards -- which it quickly lifted from the kingdom's main tourists areas.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-09-18

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm surprised none of the left wing women's rights media/journos have given him grief over the "...unless they are not beautiful." aspect of his comment.

You really think that this is a left wing conspiracy? Wow. The Daily Mail - in case you missed it - is hardly a "left wing" newspaper.

(Edited by someone... Message gone!!)

Just as I thought!!

I will try again!....

&lt;deleted&gt;!!

Meanwhile Thai Girls... Women.... Ladies..... Ladyboys....... Can Parade around 1/2 to 3/4 % Naked at Schools.. Shopping Malls... On the back of Motorcycles.... at the Markets..... on the Beach and nothing is happening? I think "Not That it had anything to do with "Bikinis"!!!

More the fact the color of their skin... This is why Thailand has such a high end market for Skin Whiteners..... Maybe the best answer would be to require all tourst's to under go 2-3 weeks of Daily Tanning Salon appointments... "To tan their Bodies".... Or just maybe that was their reasoning for Booking a "Sun Holiday" in Thailand....

Lighter side... If he was wearing a Bikini.... I am so sure of it being the reason for the attack!

Yaaa.... Rightttt...!

I would not put so much pressure on searching for Males who might have been the agressor! Look at Females too!! Could have been slighted and in an aftertone of resentment unleashed a high pitch of Thai Anger!!! Just maybe when approached was because of what was being observed!!

But Give me a Break!! Had nothing to do with the wearing of a bikini!

Anyone can take lets say 25 Women from Europe and the matching number from Thailand... Who are we going to look at if you dressed them all in the same so called, Sexy... Bikini?

Sure as hell not going to spend much time gazing at anyone from United Kingdom...

Get my point.... Why most of us came here anyway... Right?

Also is regards to DNA...

Fact: We should know....

Where owner of sample is from... (Asian... American...Europian...)

Sex of Owner of Sample... (Male... Female... or if High Hormone Content... Possible Katoy?)

Now before you contaminate sample if you cannot or do not have these answers right now... We have plenty of High Standards Hospitals with Doctors Even Visiting Doctors from other Countries here on Loan... who can complete this endeavor!

If you need help.... Ask for it! If you don't have the Basic answers to the above simple questions... "You Need Help"

But again.... "Had really nothing to do with whatever they were wearing...." Be it fully clothed or a Bikini....

• Like 1

"I'm sorry that it hurt people," Prayut said at a hastily convened press conference in Bangkok.

"I didn't intend to insult or criticise anyone. I just warned that sometimes people have to be careful... today Thailand is safe except there are some bad guys -- like anywhere in the world."

He never said he was sorry or regretted his bikini remarks.

The cause for increase of earthquakes Promiscuous women are responsible for earthquakes, a senior Iranian cleric has said. Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi told worshippers in Tehran last Friday that they had to stick to strict codes of modesty to protect themselves. "Many women who do not dress modestly lead young men astray and spread adultery in society which increases earthquakes," he said.

Sadly it seems Prayut and cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi think alike.

Prayut Chan-O-Cha, is a General.

Although my personal belief is that he is a good soldier and a good man and cares to the outmost for his country,

He is not a politician and he is not a diplomat.

He should have never accepted the position of PM.

He should have chosen people with experience for this position while he could command from the background.

Cracks started appearing in his administration and that because of lack of any political experience.

He has to realize that you don't run a country as you run the army.

The sooner he realizes that the better for him and Thailand.

Hope he doesn't fall in the same trap that all dictators have fallen and that is the thirst for power trap.

Surely the majority of Thais don't share your view.

You don't see any positives from what he has been doing the last few months? You believe that things were better before he started the clean up?

• Like 2

Prayut Chan-O-Cha, is a General.

Although my personal belief is that he is a good soldier and a good man and cares to the outmost for his country,

He is not a politician and he is not a diplomat.

He should have never accepted the position of PM.

He should have chosen people with experience for this position while he could command from the background.

Cracks started appearing in his administration and that because of lack of any political experience.

He has to realize that you don't run a country as you run the army.

The sooner he realizes that the better for him and Thailand.

Hope he doesn't fall in the same trap that all dictators have fallen and that is the thirst for power trap.

Surely the majority of Thais don't share your view.

You don't see any positives from what he has been doing the last few months? You believe that things were better before he started the clean up?

I have seen many positives that he has done and I believe he will carry on taking Thailand to a better future.

But he is allowing himself by not being a diplomat to be taken apart by the foreign and Thai media with not very thoughtful comments as the bikini one.

• Like 1

Bill Clinton "I did not have sexual relations with that women"

It amazes me that some refer to a "human" regrettable remark as a litmus test of the underlying ability for one to rule a country.

When one states "You almost feel sorry for the guy, he is so far out of his depth" which is such a binary, superficial viewpoint one must feel sorry for the guy that posted that comment. Not the person that is human.

I can assume the poster has no friends because humans DO make "slip ups"

"To err is human"

<EDIT> Name me a PTP or UDD member that apologized for making a mistake or as I say for being human? Nope?

This is why reform is needed. Nuff said.

Well done to the good General Preyuth for stepping up and taking responsibility.

They don't apologize, they deny.

And that is why they had Prompong Nopparit as there minster for denying.

Never was there a PTP "minister for apologizing" simply because they have never apologized for there mistakes. That is the fundamental difference between the Junta who will be restoring democracy and the regime of the unelected criminal who tried to bypass democracy (yes, yes elections)

• Like 2