The price of Solar PV Panels in Thailand

oztaurus

Wrapped around a newspaper (which cannot be named here) two days ago was a full colour, 2 page promo announcing a deal between a solar PV supplier and a major home handyman outlet.

Great Idea!

Certain parts of the world are having a major push towards renewable energy and even LOS has announced a couple of luke-warm incentives.

Then I looked at the prices. WOW! With global PV prices down around 72cents per watt, I could buy a 5kW system at retail prices in Australia, pay to ship it here, pay import duty and taxes, pay a lawyer to set up a company (with 3 work permits and 12 Thai employees so it is all legal), fly 3 installers from Australia to LOS to install the system, show them a good time in Nana, fly them home and pay to close down the company .... and still save money on the deal compared to the "special" prices this mob is advertising

.post-186586-0-39689200-1411087337_thumb.

In Thailand you buy them to get more status, just like a hybrid car. My neighbours have hybrids and i have never seen them driving electric.

If they were cheap then the rich people wouldn't buy them because even the poor could afford it.

I agree it is a shame that in Germany they have loads of panels now and here where it is really sunny nobody has them or cares for saving electric/fuel. If they were into saving the environment they wouldn't need a big Camry hybrid, then a small Prius would also do.

Those aren't the prices, those are the projected savings in electricity over 25 years.

oh - well that makes a lot more sense, thanks :-)

Solar equipment is also Zero tariff import, and any decent electrician would be able to install them.