home insurance

no deal

Personally I have found that all the Thai insurance companies do not offer the sort of cover that we are used to in the west.

When I lived in Samui I used a broker there and started a house insurance with a New Zealand Company "NZI" , the cover which is the same as an English company, and when I moved to Korat I carried on using them.

I have only claimed once for a broken shower door but they paid up with no problems whatsoever.

As it happens I am about to renew today and my premium is just over 15,000 baht for a very comprehensive cover including life insurance for my wife as well.

If you are interested let me know and I'll pm you the contact details of the broker.

HL

About 10 years ago I enquired about insurance for my house. I could not find a broker/agent that was interested. All they wanted to sell was life insurance. As I considered my family were adequately covered for life already I was not interested. One broker did state that if I took photos of the house and could prove it's worth he might consider trying to get coverage for me. I told him that it was his job to satisfy the insurance company in this regard.

All Thai villages AFAIK have a Govt. insurance policy which covers things like natural events, winds, floods etc. I'm not sure whether it covers fire. The cost of this insurance is extremely low, about 20baht a year I think.

Hi Factor....I am not familiar with your company but I must stress that I am not criticizing this or any other company, but, when I was searching for an insurance that gave me the cover I required none, repeat, none of the companies associated directly with Thailand did this. It doesn't matter to me who the company is associated with or backed by, it's the cover that they offer that counts.

Having said that maybe your company is as good or better but I would suggest that the OP looks into the cover and not take any company at face value.

As it happens NZI have recently merged with Safety Insurance Of Thailand, but they have kept all the attributes of their policies as before.

I am happy with mine and you are happy with yours and that's what counts.

HL

Toknarok you only get what you pay for......if its 20 baht per year then don't rely on getting your house rebuilt, will you...lol

HL

Actually Larry that's not quite true. About 6 years ago a mini tornado tore through the village damaging several houses including mine (minor - just a few roof tiles). The house of a Thai friend of mine had extensive damage, lost the entire roof and a couple of his house walls were flattened. He got an estimate for repairs from a builder, took it to the local Tessaban who approved it and paid the bill. Damage to furniture and effects was not covered.

20 baht is not a lot but how many houses are in rural Thailand. Millions at 20 baht a year, soon adds up.

Toknarok you only get what you pay for......if its 20 baht per year then don't rely on getting your house rebuilt, will you...lol

HL

Actually Larry that's not quite true. About 6 years ago a mini tornado tore through the village damaging several houses including mine (minor - just a few roof tiles). The house of a Thai friend of mine had extensive damage, lost the entire roof and a couple of his house walls were flattened. He got an estimate for repairs from a builder, took it to the local Tessaban who approved it and paid the bill. Damage to furniture and effects was not covered.

20 baht is not a lot but how many houses are in rural Thailand. Millions at 20 baht a year, soon adds up.

Fair comment....I stand corrected, I guess it also depends on the type of house as well but I bet you wouldn't get much joy here in Korat City.

Still, who knows.

HL

• 3 weeks later...

I get mine thro Squires (Agent) she speaks good english, and is in Udon. Have had mine with MSIG which includes contents. Give her a call 0818729791 no harm in asking.

I got mine from the MSIG office in Udon on the west side of the ring road near the junction for Kut Chap.

They employ a helpful English guy in their Bangkok office who clarified a couples of queries I had and then e-mailed me copies of all the policy paperwork in English.

QBE has one of the best home insurance available. Insurance is highly regulated in Thailand and if you go to a broker or another, you will have the same quotation, more or less. But some know more than others.

If you are in Isaan, google Isaan Insurance. You will have different packages with QBE depending if you want protection for floods, or if you want protection for personal effect like laptops.

We are with another company called "Bangkok insurance" if I remember because it has been years. Home insurance is cheap. But the premier package, with laptop and small items is more expensive.

We have an insurance covering fire, structure damages, that is link with the bank.

Our private insurance for theft, fire, furniture, personal stuff is up to maybe 200,000 or 500,000 (I can't remember) and we pay only about 3,000 baht per year.

Our documents are done with "Isaan Insurance" !!!!! (Yes, I am a partner but we work also with Peter from AA Broker, the best I know in Thailand). Same prices....