Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Difference between marriage/business visa, what do they permit?

Hello,

I currently have a business visa and will soon switch to a marriage visa. What does that mean for me in what I can and cannot do legally in Thailand? Can I still conduct business such as buying and exporting or will that become technically illegal?

Thanks and cheers cheers cheers...Mr. Bamboozled.

I have a business visa obtained abroad, my 4th or 5th one. My understanding is that a business visa allows you to conduct business for a foreign company (such as buying and exporting) but not "working" the difference being that "working" means getting paid in Thailand. I could be wrong though if this is the case I don't understand why they issue business visas without work permits which I have never had. I always listed "business" as my reason for entering Thailand and was never questioned.

PoorSucker, did you mean to write "NEITHER" business nor marriage visa?

I am switching to a marriage visa to avoid having to go home to get the business visa, a costly endeavor to the States. I will no longer be allowed to buy and export as I have been doing (if indeed I was "allowed" with the business visa)? I do not qualify for a work permit.

Thank you

Business visas are for business travelers that travel to business meetings.

As I understand you have a Thai wife and live here and you should have a work permit.

Does not matter if you get paid here or not, even volunteer work requires a work permit.

I can suggest that you get onto the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. Access the Consular Services section. Read about the Three Year Business VISA that can be issued. It is also is a multiple entry. It is available for "Business" purposes. Read the requirements. However, it does not allow employment. OK, that is rather a grey area for you. You state your of "business" is buying and exporting. Is it through the Internet? Is this just personal for friends and family? I have had a "B" Visa along with a Work Permit for a couple of years now as I am a Partner in a Thai registered company. I called the Consulate in Los Angeles and the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. and the people in the VISA section had NO knowledge of a 3 Year Business VISA ever being issued by them. They weren't even aware of it's existence! Incredible? I had to direct them to their MOFA website and the page where this information was located. I thought $200 USD for a 1 Year "B" VISA and about $330 USD for a 3 Year "B" VISA. Why not? I'll apply for a Three Year Business VISA. After several updates from them both, it was determined that the 1 Year "B" VISA was applicable for me because I have a Work Permit. The Three year Business VISA strictly prohibits employment. OK, employment by who and where? Then why does Thailand issue that VISA? What are the benefits of the VISA for a Foreigner other than it allowing you to remain in the Kingdom for 3 Years for Business?Neither place could answer that question. I asked 7 Immigration Officials in Swampy Airport and got 7 different answers. I even showed them the web page with the info. I even got a "Cannot" regarding the 3 year VISA! You just might fit into that grey area category. Not sure where you are from but check with your nearest Consulate or Embassy. Maybe they are more knowledgeable regarding the 3 year Business VISA than their counter parts in the LA Consulate and Thai Embassy in Wash had for me. Chok Dee! thumbsup.gif

I can suggest that you get onto the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. Access the Consular Services section. Read about the Three Year Business VISA that can be issued. It is also is a multiple entry. It is available for "Business" purposes. Read the requirements. However, it does not allow employment. OK, that is rather a grey area for you. You state your of "business" is buying and exporting. Is it through the Internet? Is this just personal for friends and family? I have had a "B" Visa along with a Work Permit for a couple of years now as I am a Partner in a Thai registered company. I called the Consulate in Los Angeles and the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. and the people in the VISA section had NO knowledge of a 3 Year Business VISA ever being issued by them. They weren't even aware of it's existence! Incredible? I had to direct them to their MOFA website and the page where this information was located. I thought $200 USD for a 1 Year "B" VISA and about $330 USD for a 3 Year "B" VISA. Why not? I'll apply for a Three Year Business VISA. After several updates from them both, it was determined that the 1 Year "B" VISA was applicable for me because I have a Work Permit. The Three year Business VISA strictly prohibits employment. OK, employment by who and where? Then why does Thailand issue that VISA? What are the benefits of the VISA for a Foreigner other than it allowing you to remain in the Kingdom for 3 Years for Business?Neither place could answer that question. I asked 7 Immigration Officials in Swampy Airport and got 7 different answers. I even showed them the web page with the info. I even got a "Cannot" regarding the 3 year VISA! You just might fit into that grey area category. Not sure where you are from but check with your nearest Consulate or Embassy. Maybe they are more knowledgeable regarding the 3 year Business VISA than their counter parts in the LA Consulate and Thai Embassy in Wash had for me. Chok Dee! thumbsup.gif

As you have found yourself, the "3 years business visa" only exists on that webpage. No consulate issues it.