Traveler's cheques as proof of sufficient funds?

Out of curiosity: as there might be destinations where one would prefer not to use ATM machines or carry 20,000 baht or the equivalent in USD just to come back to Thailand, and as I have seen no ATM machines on the airside of immigration control on the arrival level, do you think traveler's cheques would be accepted as a proof of sufficient funds?

What are you showing proof of funds for? Is this a new rule just to enter Thailand?

Not a new rule it has been a requirement for a long time. Immigration has recently been asking for financial proof from some people when entering the country. It is 10,000 baht for a visa exempt entry or 20,000 baht if you have a visa.

The OP intends to have it in case he is asked for it.

• Like 2

What are you showing proof of funds for? Is this a new rule just to enter Thailand?

Not a new rule it has been a requirement for a long time. Immigration has recently been asking for financial proof from some people when entering the country. It is 10,000 baht for a visa exempt entry or 20,000 baht if you have a visa.

Thanks Ubon Joe, and glad to see the THB 10,000/20,000 requirement clarified.

"Visa runs" are not really my thing, I prefer to "walk"; traveler's cheques are old school indeed, but as I travel solo for several weeks at a time and spend some of the nights in hostels to cut the cost of travel (I have visited four countries so far and will visit two more by the end of the year), they seem to me like a good solution, and, if lost, more easily reissued than a Thai bank ATM card while in Africa or Nepal.

Edited by scavenger

I wonder what % of people getting questioned about having enough money has to do with how they dress and look when inline to get the passport stamped, I'm at the counter a few times a year and have never been asked for anything .coffee1.gif

I am a male rocker, early forties, with long hair, always traveling in jeans, t-shirts and sneakers, and I have never been asked to prove sufficiency or funds or anything beyond an onward ticket when checking in at an airline check-in counter. Nor have I got searched at customs. That said, in the current atmosphere, I prefer to be prepared.

Nationality and border post is what matters. For example, from a Latin American country at Dannok, one will need the grease the passport with few hundreds or they will do anything to make it difficult. In other places they will never ask.

Edited by paz

The safest way to carry money is plastic, and a memorized PIN these days. Lose it and phone the bank they stop the card almost instantly. Anybody can forge a signature on a travellers cheque and if they got your passport as well nobody looks like their passport photograph anyway. OK so the bank will re-imburse you but it makes you an attractive target for thieves.

Travellers cheques reminds me of when I was an "oiler" working for a haulage company in Saudi Arabia in my youth, in the early eighties. I broke my flight home (9 weeks on, 3 weeks off) in Amsterdam, walked down from the train station with my backpack, wearing jeans and t-shirt into the Dam square, and walked into the five-star Hotel kraponolsky or whatever it was called, and asked for a room. The receptionist sniffed and said I would have to pay cash in advance so I took out my per-diem as a (fairly thick) book of 100-dollar travellers cheques and said US dollars OK? and began to sign. Those were the days! Nowadays of course I wouldn't be so gauche.

"krasnapolsky" google just told me.

Lose it and phone the bank they stop the card almost instantly.
Anybody can forge a signature on a travellers cheque and if they got your passport as well nobody looks like their passport photograph anyway.

First quote same with travellers cheque.

Second quote, I don't know about your passport photo, but no one could look as horrible or downhearted as in my passport photo and be mistaken for me.

When the authorities took it I said no way but they said yes way.

I think you will find many in the same boat.

As far as safety with plastic, obviously you haven't seen the latest ATM skimmers....scarey stuff.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anybody can forge a signature on a travellers cheque and if they got your passport as well nobody looks like their passport photograph anyway.

Second quote, I don't know about your passport photo, but no one could look as horrible or downhearted as in my passport photo and be mistaken for me.

As far as safety with plastic, obviously you haven't seen the latest ATM skimmers....scarey stuff.

I have never encountered an ATM skimmer - they must be few and far between. But I can check my transactions daily with internet e-banking and spot a fraud. My point is - travellers cheques are almost the same as cash and make you a target for thieves - but with PIN numbers on plastic your cards are virtually useless. The only fraud I have encountered with them is when one was stolen in the Nat West mail room (I know that as fact, the police phoned me up as part of their investigation) of high-value international cards being sent out. They bought a car with the card and used it to run up parking tickets and buslane violations and finally the car was used as part of a robbery.

ubonjoe---

when applying for a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy here in N.Z--they require proof--i.e bank statement --of at least $2000 about 52000 baht. ??

Just saying---does this vary by what ever country you are from xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

If not--once the proof is shown--and passport is returned with a new visa stamp---- what's to stop me using some of the money-and arrive BKK with 20000 baht -- not that it's worth the bother- as spending money is ALWAYS required crazy.gif

ubonjoe---

when applying for a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy here in N.Z--they require proof--i.e bank statement --of at least $2000 about 52000 baht. ??

Just saying---does this vary by what ever country you are from xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

If not--once the proof is shown--and passport is returned with a new visa stamp---- what's to stop me using some of the money-and arrive BKK with 20000 baht -- not that it's worth the bother- as spending money is ALWAYS required crazy.gif

The embassy is making up it's own rules to get the visa. Only 20k baht is needed.

On entry all that is needed is 20k baht.

• Like 1

ubonjoe---

The embassy is making up it's own rules to get the visa. Only 20k baht is needed.

On entry all that is needed is 20k baht.

Thanks ubonjoe thumbsup.gif

Stupid question? Can credit cards be used as proof of funds?

I have study ways of carrying money. I like TCs but they are getting squeezed out and Thai banks now charge 150B per. The exchange rate seems good. Had been getting them free. Skimmers scare me especially now they have ultra slims ones.

Am thinking of using a credit card for hotels and $100 bills for rest. See if I lose the cash. Will still have some TCs in reserve.

What do you do for funds if you are a traveler and have to go to the hospital that demands payment up front? Your card might be taken by the body snatchers.

Having a Thai bank account is a possibility. FACTA means most banks won't open an account for an American. Bangkok Bank will so far. Again I am a traveler and don't live in Thailand.

Atm skimmers, shoulder surfing by eye or remote camera followed up by pickpocketing ( some hugely talented picks around). And when & how can you get your plastic replaced.

Cheques replacement is quick & anywhere.

ATMS in the western world give you back your card first followed by the money.The card goes in the wallet .Moments later the cash comes out.

Not so in Thailand.

It becomes habit to leave the ATM when you receive the cash,(transaction complete in their mind).

many westerners at ATMS in Thailand have pocketed the cash (there habit being to pocket the cash & leave when the cash comes out)

leaving the card in the ATM with a message poping up on the screen "Do you want to make another Transaction?"

observant fraudster steps up to the ATM & makes another transaction or two as he/she /it is signed into all accounts the card accesses.

You may want to read this article about travallers cheques.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2012/05/is-it-worth-buying-travellers-cheques

Have a Nice Day.

Another downside to Cheques is that since April or May of 2014 banks & moneychangers in Thailand charge an additional 150 baht "Commision" for cashing "EVERY CHEQUE". Not a big deal if its just one $100 cheque, but it is a big deal When Cashing in $5000 (7500 baht "commision???) or $10,000 (15000 baht????) in hundreds. That is Legal Bankster Fraud!!!! 300,000 baht in my Bangkok bank account & Living directly across the street from my Bank Manager wouldn't get me out of this extorsion.

Sold some gold instead for the needed cash. Gonna cash the cheques elsewhere.

• Like 1

What I have in mind is emergency cash which could also serve as proof of sufficient funds (NOT the whole traveling money in TCs.) Along with the liquid currency I carry when traveling, why would I want to carry an extra 20,000baht in cash? Can my Thai bank ATM card be replaced in the Philippines or in Nepal?

In a worst-case scenario, I much prefer the fees incurred by using TCs than calling home to get some pity cash through Western Union...

Edited by scavenger
  • Like 1

That's old school. Man, just mentioning travelers checks brings back memories of airlines using propeller aircraft.

Lots of airlines still use 'propeller' aircraft.wai2.gif

I think he may have meant when the 'front line' international aircraft were prop driven, Super Constellations, etc.

Props will always be around on second and third level routes.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have never encountered an ATM skimmer - they must be few and far between. But I can check my transactions daily with internet e-banking and spot a fraud. My point is - travellers cheques are almost the same as cash and make you a target for thieves - but with PIN numbers on plastic your cards are virtually useless. The only fraud I have encountered with them is when one was stolen in the Nat West mail room (I know that as fact, the police phoned me up as part of their investigation) of high-value international cards being sent out. They bought a car with the card and used it to run up parking tickets and buslane violations and finally the car was used as part of a robbery.

I travel 1 block with my TCs and my passport to get cash. This is maybe every 3-4 weeks. The cash is put into the safe. I don't carry my passport every day!

I recommend having one or two ounces of gold as emergency cash. You can sell it pretty much anywhere in the world as long as you've got a pretty common gold coin or bar. I've even found that 1 ounce in my wallet does not set off the metal detector at the airports.

This of course won't work for your stated proof of minimum funds for travel but if the banks go on holiday for example during a financial crisis(which we have seen in our lifetimes) you won't be stuck in a foreign country with no options.

I don't see why logging into your bank account online with your cell phone wouldn't suffice to prove funds...