Chiang Mai Night Safari Introduces New Tourist Spot

george

Thailand's Chiang Mai Night Safari introduces new tourist spot

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai Night Safari, Thailand's first every night zoo in the northern region, has introduced a new tourist spot inside its compound--Musical Fountain.

The spectacular "Musical Fountain" in the middle of the Swan Lake, just opened to the public this month, is expected to attract more tourists and visitors to the zoo, especially when Chiang Mai hosts the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006--from November 1, 2006-January 31, 2007--in which a number of Thais and foreigners will visit, according to Mr. Sa-nga Ua-trakul, an expert of the night safari.

The number of visitors to the Chiang Mai Night Safari has grown to more than 1.64 million since the night zoo was opened to the public for the first time in mid November 2005.

This has earned more than 17 million revenues to the zoo even though it has yet met the breakeven point.

Chiang Mai Night Safari now has nearly 1,500 animals of 121 different species to welcome the visitors, said Mr. Sa-nga.

--TNA 2006-07-18

Chiang Mai Night Safari now has nearly 1,500 animals of 121 different species to welcome the visitors, said Mr. Sa-nga.

--TNA 2006-07-18

Make that nearly 1,499 animals: Mr Chin just ordered a rare Pink Bottomed Zambiam Chimpanzee on toast.

Thailand's Chiang Mai Night Safari introduces new tourist spot

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai Night Safari, Thailand's first every night zoo in the northern region, has

The number of visitors to the Chiang Mai Night Safari has grown to more than 1.64 million since the night zoo was opened to the public for the first time in mid November 2005.

This has earned more than 17 million revenues to the zoo even though it has yet met the breakeven point.

--TNA 2006-07-18

That's about 10.3 baht a head :o

They need something to attract customers and to make up for all the animals that will not be sent from Africa to populate Dear Leader's pet project. :o

Maybe if he writes another letter to his mate George he might get some racoons and squirrels, they are supposed to tase good.

I would implore all TV members to boycott the Chiang Mai Night Safari. Since it's opening, over 100 animals have died due to the poor conditions of their captivity and lack of knowledge as to how to care for them. Let this white elephant die without lining any more corrupt officials pockets.

I would implore all TV members to boycott the Chiang Mai Night Safari. Since it's opening, over 100 animals have died due to the poor conditions of their captivity and lack of knowledge as to how to care for them. Let this white elephant die without lining any more corrupt officials pockets.

I strongly agree with the above comments, but I am curious as to whether any T.V. members have actually put down money to see this "amazing" spectacle. Does it bear any similiarity to a "Safari"? Are there rides in Land Rover/Jeeps? What kind of research and medical/veterinarian facilities exist? Or is the kitchen bigger than the hospital for sick animals.? I ask this since a previous poster indicated that a Mr.Chin, presumably from Taiwan or China ordered a toasted chimp sandwich.

Do they have an arena where lions or tigers are released in order to attack and kill a defenceless pig or buffalo? Purely for entertainment of course. Since the Chiang Mai Night Safari is probably owned by rich Chinese Thais, a visit to this site may be in order. http://vn.vladnews.ru/Arch/2000/ISS209/focus.html

"I'd like a barbecued tiger steak,medium well with French fries please" :o

Yep, Bt10 per day does not sound good. Also, the 1.64 million people sounds high—8,000 people per day. I don’t think it’s getting that? Sounds like TAT inflated numbers to me. The thing will become just another reminder of the beloved Thaksin who helped to make it happen. Maybe if they put him in a cage they could get more visitors.

• 3 weeks later...

Safety concerns grow as wolf still on prowl Nation August 6th.

The wolf-hunting mission in Chiang Mai continued yesterday but ended in failure as residents worried about their own and their pets' safety.

A Canadian grey wolf escaped from the Night Safari Zoo about one month ago and has reportedly killed 200 chickens, five dogs and some ducks in the villages of Ban Pong Noi, Ban Ramperng and Ban Sanlomjoi.

Villagers have been hunting the wolf at night since Wednesday. A team of 50 zookeepers, armed with four anaesthetic guns and a cage, has been seeking the wolf during the day since Friday, led by zoo project director Plodprasop Suraswadi.

The last sighting of the animal was in Ban Sanlomjoi in Muang district's Mae Hia area.

"The wolf seems to know it is being hunted and runs off immediately when it sees humans," said village headwoman Phornthip Uttama.

"We are hunting it to ensure the safety of our villagers, not for the Bt10,000 reward on offer from the zoo.

"We will try our best to not kill the wolf if we find it. We will shoot it with a tranquilliser dart and take it to the zoo."

Zoo officials believe the wolf is hiding not far from the zoo and are confident of catching it soon.

On Friday night the wolf killed three chicks and one puppy belonging to villager Ploy Chaiyanta. The zoo agreed to pay compensation.

Originally it was claimed that two hyenas had escaped from the zoo, but this was denied by officials, who said the wolf had been the only animal to escape. They said it had been bred in captivity in the Czech Republic and was not dangerous to humans.

Ekaphong Praditwong

The Nation

Chiang Mai

Just letting you know that Night Safaris are now in progress. This one is a "Wolf Hunt" and is led by the indomitable Mister Plod himself. Let's hope the wolf survives the excitement. It is probably smarter than it's pursuers.

Edited by ratcatcher

Yep, Bt10 per day does not sound good. Also, the 1.64 million people sounds high—8,000 people per day. I don’t think it’s getting that? Sounds like TAT inflated numbers to me. The thing will become just another reminder of the beloved Thaksin who helped to make it happen. Maybe if they put him in a cage they could get more visitors.

I suspect that the visitor-figure includes the (million plus ?) free-visits prior to the 'official' opening, this would account for the low revenue-per-visitor figure, also.

The next scheme to ramp-up the visitor-numbers is to sell a combined entry-ticket, when the International Horticultural Exposition runs next winter, it's all just mirrors & lights guys. Lies, ###### lies and government-statistics. :D

Oh, and the plan to build an elephant-camp attraction, which is why the pressure is now on, to shut down competing camps in the area. After all - there's nothing like a level playing-field, in Toxinland.

With the way the new attractions are (allegedly) causing local flooding, in an area which has not seen it before, perhaps a water-garden ought to be tried ? :o

I live near the Night Safari and I have NEVER seen cars entering the fancy entry road they built. We now have a useless right light on the Canal Road (which is the highway accessing the site) where we wait for the "cross traffic" to enter the place -- traffic that never comes.

I mean it -- there is NOBODY going in the place, and we drive the Canal Road all times of the day and evening.

So with all the "energy saving" measures in place, lines of traffic can sit with engines running at a crossraod no one uses. Another victory for Taksin's hubs and crackdowns!