Can somebody teach me how to ride a motorcycle in Pattaya?

Kommissar123

Hi there,

I want to (properly) learn how to ride a motorcycle with a clutch, such as a KLX 150 or 250.

Thai motorcycle driving schools, unfortunately, are literally nonexisting, which is kind of strange in its own right considering that there are probably more motorcycles in Thailand than people. And even if such a school existed, I would need someone to speak solid English. I am definitely not going out into traffic without a reasonable understanding of what I am doing. Pattaya is not the place for road experiments biggrin.png

Anyways, I was just wondering if someone in Pattaya can spare 1-2 hours to teach me the basics of motorcycle riding (shifting, balancing, maneuvering) in a kind of remote location and maybe give some advice on what to look out for and what bike to buy. I don't expect it to be free. If you think you can help a rookie out here, get in touch:

[email protected]

Cheers

Kommissar

I can teach you an hour or two and you can buy me lunch (a good one, he-he).

I don't have any man clutch bikes right now so you will have to bring your own so to speak.

I been riding bikes on/off for over 30 years without serious injuries.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

• Like 1

Maybe a suggestion? Rent the smallest displacement bike you can that has a clutch. That way you are forced to learn how to actually use the clutch rather than leaning on the torque of the engine. It's also a big help if you have experience driving a manual transmission car.

• Like 1

Yeah I'll volunteer for that. Same as the other offer - a free lunch and a beer. Supply your own bike (and don't rent a 600cc, go for the smallest you can get, or nothing more than a 250cc).

I'm in Jomtien - lots of places out here where you can ride without getting nailed by a baht bus. I even know a huge vacant car park used by novice riders/drivers.

Ridden and raced sportsbikes all my life and only hung up my racing leathers a few years ago. Also done some informal race school training at club level.

EDIT: hey I just re-read your post. It sounds like you have NO experience at all, not even a scooter. If that's the case, I suggest you learn how to ride a scooter first and learn all the handling basics of road riding specific to Pattaya on that scooter. Then when you have some road confidence, learn how to use a clutch. Happy to teach you both - PM me if you want.

If you learn how to ride a clutch bike, then try and learn the basics of road riding in Pattaya on that bike from scratch, you won't be long for this world. Riding in Pattaya is unique.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

I've heard some, if not several of the instructors have sufficient English to be functional. There is a limited vocabulary for riding a bike, it is not a date! Riding in groups is preferable as you see multiple examples of how to and how not to implement each incremental instruction.

It is my understanding that the schools you refer to are conducting only group lessons in Thai language...

Honda provides safety riding course in BKK. I ve been to their course to test ride some models two weeks ago. They have all protection equipment and professional instructors. I strongly recommend you to go there. They even provide motorcycle license. They also provide big bike safety riding course. I attached the picture of information. You can search on youtube for some video captured there. Cheers.

post-181825-14114430875447_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Do you have experience driving stick-shift cars and riding bicycle? If so, then maybe you can learn the same way I did - watching youtube and practicing with the motorcycle at 5 am (not much people around to see me smile.png). Keep in mind that prior this, the only experience I had with a motorbike was a total of 5 mins straight ride on an automatic scooter years ago.

In my case, knowing how to drive a stick-shift came in handy since i can relate to the concept of the clutch when it was time to try it out with the bike. i just had to get used to the new control placement. i.e. clutch from left foot to left hands. gas and brake from right foot to right hands. gears from right hand to left foot (i got the bike before getting a car in TH so my previous car was left-hand drive. if you drove a car in TH, it will be easier since it will be left hand to left foot).

The confusion that i had at first is the sequence of the gears 1N2345 - but I eventually found a youtube video about it.

several videos also show about (i can't recall the exact term) how the steering becomes reversed from certain speeds.

Edited by igme

A couple of pieces of advice - practise your left hand functions repeatedly until second nature - shifting thumb to horn, to indicators, to high beam, while squeezing the clutch and changing gear. These functions must become automatic (muscle memory thing) along with the throttle. Second, do a few neck exercises each day. You'll be doing a lot of looking around while riding in Pattaya. Nothing worse than a crick in the neck - you'll know what I mean if you take a ride down Soi 6 at night. :)

• Like 1

Honda provides safety riding course in BKK. I ve been to their course to test ride some models two weeks ago. They have all protection equipment and professional instructors. I strongly recommend you to go there. They even provide motorcycle license. They also provide big bike safety riding course. I attached the picture of information. You can search on youtube for some video captured there. Cheers.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1411443082.546545.jpg

Thank you, that's great. Will do it in addition to the 1:1 motorcycle training. Cheers!