ED Visa and language certificates

Hi all, I have a couple of questions to ask about about the presence of an 'official' certificate of a persons Thai language ability and whether or not it would be beneficial or not when it comes to any dealing with Thai immigration particularly with an ED visa for Thai language.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Most people entering the country would be entering with a single entry visa. I don't recall any reports of anybody having a problem doing that.

A person entering with a multiple entry ED visa might be questioned about what they were studying and perhaps be asked for proof that they were attending school.

There have been reports of people with extensions of stay having problems entering with a re-entry permit. Some were out of the country for a significant amount time when they entered the country which may of been the problem. The ones denied entry were unable to provide financial proof and were suspected of working in the country.

I have a "certificate of completion" from a Thai Language school with my picture on it and all kinds of signatures and stamps. I don't think that it really means a lot. If you are dealing with Thais your ability to converse with them will tell it all! But, during my time here, I've found that Thais are very big on issuing and collecting "certificates".

Thanks both.

Joe, how does one show financial proof when re-entering the country? Is it a case of showing 20000THB or proving how you are remaining in Bangkok from the outside?

The 20k baht is part of it. To prove that you are not working here you would need to be able to prove you have funds coming form outside the country.

Right, do they usually ask for this sort of thing when getting your extension of stay too?

Actually there is no reports of being asked proof of fund for education based extensions, also because it is not in the officially listed requirements.

I suspect it will be soon enough. I just don't understand why students here taking a break (even short ie Christmas) would have trouble coming back in.

I don't think it will, considering that regulations have been updated just two months ago, on average updates are made every few years.