Pocket Pc Software Essentials

crabstix

Just got a HP hw6515 pocket pc running windows mobile 2003SE now that the price has dropped 20,000 baht (from 25,000 baht a month ago).

It comes with a lot of software built into the device. For all you pocket pc users out there, what additional sofware (which you see as essential) do you recommend I buy for it? I need stuff mainly for information management, being able to access my data quickly and easily. Things to speed it up might be good too as progams open up a little too slowly for me.

Just got a HP hw6515 pocket pc running windows mobile 2003SE now that the price has dropped 20,000 baht (from 25,000 baht a month ago).

It comes with a lot of software built into the device. For all you pocket pc users out there, what additional sofware (which you see as essential) do you recommend I buy for it? I need stuff mainly for information management, being able to access my data quickly and easily. Things to speed it up might be good too as progams open up a little too slowly for me.

Dear Crabstix,

How are you?

I am not sure it is worth the money but I am very pleased I have one - not for business but personal use. I think there is so much in it that I recommend looking at what it can do.

It might be slow as you might have many prograns running, programs started need to be closed if they are still running.

I setup activesync to run bluetooth connection.

I have SD cards - a mini as well - using the cards for storage freeing up space on the pocketPC. Probably help with quick access. Good for backup

I also have bought a bluetooth keyboard but that's not very necessary.

Hope this helps.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Some of my favourite free programs:

* WiFiFoFum (scans for WIFI access points)

* Pocket Skype

* Agile Messenger (integrates MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and other IM clients into one interface)

* TCMP (play movies on your PDA, excellent - download the Matrix trailer off their site and you will be blown away).

* Auto Gordian Knot (AutoGK) - a program for converting DVDs and other video files to AVI format so you can watch them on your PDA. Just set the dimensions (in your case 320x240) and the preferred file size of the end product and let it run.

Non-free favourites are basically anything made by Resco:

* Resco file explorer (so much better than the standard one, includes an FTP client, encryption for sensitive files, and can browse the contents of zip folders without unpacking them).

* Resco audio recorder (fantastic program for recording meetings etc).

* Resco pocket radio - just a toy but I like it...

* Pocket SPB plus - makes the close program button actually close your programs instead of leaving them running in memory, plus allows you to open multiple browser windows - makes surfing over GPRS a lot more bearable).

* Pocket Informant (which you may have got with your device, if you are lucky. Massively improved calendar and contacts management, etc).

Some of my favourite free programs:

* WiFiFoFum (scans for WIFI access points)

* Pocket Skype

* Agile Messenger (integrates MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and other IM clients into one interface)

* TCMP (play movies on your PDA, excellent - download the Matrix trailer off their site and you will be blown away).

* Auto Gordian Knot (AutoGK) - a program for converting DVDs and other video files to AVI format so you can watch them on your PDA. Just set the dimensions (in your case 320x240) and the preferred file size of the end product and let it run.

Non-free favourites are basically anything made by Resco:

* Resco file explorer (so much better than the standard one, includes an FTP client, encryption for sensitive files, and can browse the contents of zip folders without unpacking them).

* Resco audio recorder (fantastic program for recording meetings etc).

* Resco pocket radio - just a toy but I like it...

* Pocket SPB plus - makes the close program button actually close your programs instead of leaving them running in memory, plus allows you to open multiple browser windows - makes surfing over GPRS a lot more bearable).

* Pocket Informant (which you may have got with your device, if you are lucky. Massively improved calendar and contacts management, etc).

Thanks to all you guys who replied to my question. It's nice to know that there is a PPC community out there sharing good info. I made the transition from palm and am finding things a little hard to get to grips with. The PPC platform is a lot slower than the palm OS but I guess I have to read more and get used to it. For programs like TCPMP is it better to install them to SD or to ipaq file store? My friend says that I will get a smoother viewing experience if I install it to ipaq file store. Is that true? Personally I would like to have it installed to SD but if that affects the quality I should install it to ipaq file store. Also, can I use software to convert dvds to play on windows media player which is already on my device? It seems a shame to install a video player like TCPMP when I already have one built into the ROM. Or is TCPMP that much better? Will installing TCPMP slow my pda down?

As for skype, I don't think I will be able to use it as I am using the old OS (WM2003SE). Pity but not the end of the world. Wififofum sounds like it could be handy (once I get a wifi card for it as it is not built in to the device). So far I am loving the qwerty keyboard. Makes data entry so easy. Also I managed to find a way to use my existing palm infrared keyboard to enter data on my pocket pc.

Thanks again guys!

Generally speaking I try to install programs onto a flash card if I can, just to keep as much RAM free as possible. I think (but am not sure) that ROM access is slower than flash cards - maybe someone else can confirm. Some programs only work when they are installed to RAM though. Installing TCMP shouldn't slow your device down (unless it runs out of memory).

I think the PPC Windows Media Player only supports its own format. However, you can get pocket skype for PPC 2003 because that's what I have. You can use the chat function over GPRS but voice requires a faster (WIFI) connection.

A useful site for pocket pc stuff is mobilitysite.com, lot of technical advice there on different ppc issues and programs.

Generally speaking I try to install programs onto a flash card if I can, just to keep as much RAM free as possible. I think (but am not sure) that ROM access is slower than flash cards - maybe someone else can confirm. Some programs only work when they are installed to RAM though. Installing TCMP shouldn't slow your device down (unless it runs out of memory).

I think the PPC Windows Media Player only supports its own format. However, you can get pocket skype for PPC 2003 because that's what I have. You can use the chat function over GPRS but voice requires a faster (WIFI) connection.

A useful site for pocket pc stuff is mobilitysite.com, lot of technical advice there on different ppc issues and programs.

Thanks. Just checked out your link. It seems to have a lot if interesting stuff. I like the tutorials. Yeah TCPMP did slow down my device but now I know why. LIke you mentioned, I was running low on memory. I will try to install it again (but this time onto sd card)