1.67 million Thai youths addicted to smoking

Lite Beer

BANGKOK: -- About 1.67 million Thai youths between 15 to 24 years old are addicted to smoking, Doctor Wanthanee Watana, the director of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Health Department said.

She added that about 12.5 million Thais smoke, and thus being at risk of suffering serious illness and dying prematurely.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/12-5-million-Thai-youths-addicted-to-smoking-30243758.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-21

BANGKOK: -- About 1.67 million Thai youths between 15 to 24 years old are addicted to smoking, Doctor Wanthanee Watana, the director of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Health Department said.

She added that about 12.5 million Thais smoke, and thus being at risk of suffering serious illness and dying prematurely.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/12-5-million-Thai-youths-addicted-to-smoking-30243758.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-21

1.67 million between 15 to 24.

But 12 mn between 24 and dead.

Hmmmmm.

They're more addicted to processed food and fat than smoking; however, their local 7/11 provides the best of both worlds.

Everyone dies... Even those that don't smoke or eat at 7/11. It's reality... "Death is no respecter of persons" and headlines like this are stupid beyond belief.

Edited by Local Drunk

strangely enough there seems to be no age limits here for smoking or drinking, in Australia you have to be over 18 to buy/drink alcohol and 16 to buy/smoke cigarettes. Here I often see people much younger doing both, it is a total joke, even the age for riding a bike/driving a car seem to be ignored totally by the police. Until such time as age limits are enforced on these morons we will continue to see the rules broken, time for the police to do their jobs and for sales staff to be fined big time for selling to under age people.

"She added that about 12.5 million Thais smoke, and thus being at risk of suffering serious illness and dying prematurely."

I can see older people using the excuse that there was never any conclusive proof that tobacco use was harmful. However, now there is definitive proof about the health risks associated with tobacco use.

Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body and diminishes a person’s overall health. Millions of people across the world have health problems caused by smoking. Smoking is a leading cause of cancer and death from cancer. It causes cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix, as well as acute myeloid leukemia. Smoking also causes heart disease, stroke, aortic aneurysm (a balloon-like bulge in an artery in the chest), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD), chronic bronchitis and emphysema, asthma, cataracts. Smokers are at higher risk of developing pneumonia and other airway infections.

So, why any rational person would take the first puff of a cigarette boggles the mind. The answer has to be that cigarette smokers are not rational people. In addition to not being rational, most cigarette smokers are selfish addicts who do not care if they cause harmful ill health effects upon others with their second hand smoke. They will smoke where it is clearly stated that smoking is not allowed and other people are within the range of their smoke. If asked if they would please smoke somewhere away from you, many times they will either ignore you or make some rude comment that you have no right to prevent them their god given right to smoke.

If someone wants to smoke, I have no problem with them committing suicide on the installment plan. Just don't force me to come along.

Edited by jaltsc

I tried when I was a teenager also, but it hurts to inhale, smells and tastes really bad, and I rarely even drink alcohol, that hurts to. they can't make the warning on the packs any larger, and there's illegal chemicals in all cigarettes, but world-wide governments continue to let them be manufactured in order to keep the cancer rate high, so the cancer doctors can rake in Billions.

"She added that about 12.5 million Thais smoke, and thus being at risk of suffering serious illness and dying prematurely."

I can see older people using the excuse that there was never any conclusive proof that tobacco use was harmful. However, now there is definitive proof about the health risks associated with tobacco use.

Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body and diminishes a person’s overall health. Millions of people across the world have health problems caused by smoking. Smoking is a leading cause of cancer and death from cancer. It causes cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix, as well as acute myeloid leukemia. Smoking also causes heart disease, stroke, aortic aneurysm (a balloon-like bulge in an artery in the chest), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD), chronic bronchitis and emphysema, asthma, cataracts. Smokers are at higher risk of developing pneumonia and other airway infections.

So, why any rational person would take the first puff of a cigarette boggles the mind. The answer has to be that cigarette smokers are not rational people. In addition to not being rational, most cigarette smokers are selfish addicts who do not care if they cause harmful ill health effects upon others with their second hand smoke. They will smoke where it is clearly stated that smoking is not allowed and other people are within the range of their smoke. If asked if they would please smoke somewhere away from you, many times they will either ignore you or make some rude comment that you have no right to prevent them their god given right to smoke.

If someone wants to smoke, I have no problem with them committing suicide on the installment plan. Just don't force me to come along.

Thank's Doc...

strangely enough there seems to be no age limits here for smoking or drinking, in Australia you have to be over 18 to buy/drink alcohol and 16 to buy/smoke cigarettes. Here I often see people much younger doing both, it is a total joke, even the age for riding a bike/driving a car seem to be ignored totally by the police. Until such time as age limits are enforced on these morons we will continue to see the rules broken, time for the police to do their jobs and for sales staff to be fined big time for selling to under age people.

Some of us actually moved here, because we appriciate the more relaxed attitude towards a lot things!thumbsup.gif

Yes, it makes some people die/get killed premature. But that is part of living here, if we had wanted the nannystate, we would have stayed home.

And yes I smoke!!

I'll never understand why people smoke.

As a former smoker who got hooked around 15 years of age I can sympathize with those who make a foolish choice because they think it's cool or an adult thing to do and then face the extremely difficult task of quitting.

I don't like the government getting overly involved in what we are or are not permitted to do ... something they are seldom very successful at doing anyway ... but this thing probably has a greater negative impact on the general economy as well as individual quality of life and health issues than the damage caused by acts of terrorism.

Not sure what a realistic and effective solution would be, but just allowing this to continue is ridiculous, in Thailand or anywhere.

Edited by Suradit69

Thailand has been seriously anti-smoking for many years, long before most western countries. I think they were one of the first countries to ban point-of-sale advertising. Sure, the Thais often tolerate people smoking, even in places with big "No Smoking" signs. But they don't like it, and quite sensibly focus on stopping the youngsters from ever taking it up.

On a personal note, as an ex nicotine addict I really hate the sanctimonious holier-than-thou sentiments of some of the purer brethren. The type who have never been tempted to step outside the safety net that their nannies brainwashed them into erecting around their lives from infancy. It almost makes me want to start smoking again just to spite the fekers.

Smoking is an easy addiction to develop, and a bugger of one to shake, some say more so than heroin. But it can be beat, although sometimes smokers need support to quit. For those who are thinking about quitting, I heartily recommend finding a local Nicotine Anonymous group.

• Like 1

I'll never understand why people smoke.

The fact that it ruins your heath and makes you stink is not what bothers me so much. It is that there is nothing enjoyable about it until you purposely become addicted and then it is only "enjoyable" because you need it. At least alcohol, opiates, cocaine and other addictive drugs get you high.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Western age limits also have hypocrisy in them. In the US, 18 year old youths can vote and go to war--some coming home maimed and missing arms and legs...but they cannot drink a beer at the local pub.

What is THAT?

there is nothing enjoyable about it until you purposely become addicted and then it is only "enjoyable" because you need it. At least alcohol, opiates, cocaine and other addictive drugs get you high.

There are also relatively non-addictive drugs that are far more enjoyable and insightful too. e.g. MDMA, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms. Yet supporters for legalization of such drugs when expressing their stance often cop a lot of abuse and demonization, even possibly from smokers and ethanol drinkers who don't consider themselves as drug users when in fact they are.

• Like 2

Once we earthlings finally inhabit another place in the galaxies send all smokers off to their new home. Let them buy up all cigarettes on earth and take them along to their new paradise. Do not allow any of them ever to come back and overpopulation on earth will get a big cutback and we'll be living in our own paradise once again. Who needs a smoker? Certainly we wouldn't miss the smell of them, nor the ludicrous insane look of them. And certainly we won't miss those hacking coughs nor their selfish littering. So, in summation I beg for space exploration to be sped up. One more thing, they must take their offspring with them when they leave!

I've done a lot of stupid things in my life but by far the worst of all was getting hooked on nicotine...as they say it's easy to quit. I did it about 100 times before I finally finally got off the damn things for good.

Some seem to be able to smoke a few a day but for me I wanted one every 15 minutes and would do just about anything to feed the beast.

Life for me is just so much more pleasant as a non smoker. No more waking up in the middle of the night to sneak yet another smoke. No more having nicotine fits on airplanes etc. No more smelling like an ashtray. No more bleeding gums from turning them to leather. No more hacking coughs and spitting up tars. No more spending a small fortune buying carton after carton of cigs. No more standing at doorways sucking on cigs like some kind of junkie.

Quitting was very difficult for me but the ultimate reward has been well worth a few months of agony.

When you're young you think oh I can quit anytime I like. For most they may find it's nnot quite so simple.

Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body and diminishes a persons overall health. Millions of people across the world have health problems caused by smoking. Smoking is a leading cause of cancer and death from cancer. It causes cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix, as well as acute myeloid leukemia. Smoking also causes heart disease, stroke, aortic aneurysm (a balloon-like bulge in an artery in the chest), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD), chronic bronchitis and emphysema, asthma, cataracts. Smokers are at higher risk of developing pneumonia and other airway infections.

Rational thought and addiction are incompatible.