Thailand is great, but what are the options elsewhere?

jpinx

Here is a great place to live. Panama City Panama Although Spanish speaking there are lots of people that speak English. They have a great infrastructure. Food is good Spanish and American standard. People are very friendly. Lots to do

Great untouched areas Beaches outside the city are spectacular . Visa system is simple and hospitable to foreigners . No monthly reporting and financial requirements are lower than Thailand .

Fun place but also relaxing if you want it. American Standards for the most part since the Canal was at one time owned by the USA

I spent 2 years down there and had a good life

Maybe 10 to 15 % more expensive than Thailand but no hassle with Immigration in many ways. Good airport facility Panamanian people love westerners

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to have bypassed Indonesia as an option. I recently concluded a two year stay in Bali and found it a very easy place to live although it is more complex on the visa side of things. However, when comparing Thailand, the Philippines and Indonesia you have to understand that they all suffer from the same levels of corruption and crime in society. I did however feel that the overall level of education in Indonesia is on a slightly higher level.

Bali is beautiful though but getting very overcrowded and can be expensive if you are not familiar with where to shop, eat and drink. Quite high levels of tax on alcohol too but this is to be expected in a Muslim country.

Overall I really enjoyed my time there and will revisit in the future.

Bali is mainly Hindu, not Muslim.

I said 'Muslim Country', and was referring to the tax on alcohol. But thanks for your input.

Everyone seems to have bypassed Indonesia as an option. I recently concluded a two year stay in Bali and found it a very easy place to live although it is more complex on the visa side of things. However, when comparing Thailand, the Philippines and Indonesia you have to understand that they all suffer from the same levels of corruption and crime in society. I did however feel that the overall level of education in Indonesia is on a slightly higher level.

Bali is beautiful though but getting very overcrowded and can be expensive if you are not familiar with where to shop, eat and drink. Quite high levels of tax on alcohol too but this is to be expected in a Muslim country.

Overall I really enjoyed my time there and will revisit in the future.

Bali is mainly Hindu, not Muslim.

I said 'Muslim Country', and was referring to the tax on alcohol. But thanks for your input.

You are talking solely about Bali, when you say "Quite high levels of tax on alcohol too but this is to be expected in a Muslim country.", so I don't know how anyone could mistake that you are suggesting Bali is Muslim. Perhaps it's the way it's worded.

Edited by giddyup