US too late on Syria: ex Pentagon chief Panetta

webfact

Former Pentgon chief Leon Panetta says Barack Obama should have armed moderate Syrian rebels earlier

WASHINGTON: -- THE rise of the brutal Islamic State group can partly be blamed on President Barack Obama’s failure to arm moderate Syrian rebels far earlier, says former US defence secretary Leon Panetta.

It comes after the US Congress on Thursday passed Obama’s plan to train and arm moderate Syrian rebels to battle IS jihadists, a key plank of his strategy to smash the militants who have overrun vast areas of Iraq and Syria.

“I think the President’s concern, and I understand it, was that he had a fear that if we started providing weapons, we wouldn’t know where those weapons would wind up,” said Panetta, defence secretary when the US pulled out of Iraq in 2011.

“My view was: you have to begin somewhere,” added Panetta, also a former CIA director.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/former-pentgon-chief-leon-panetta-says-barack-obama-should-have-armed-moderate-syrian-rebels-earlier/story-fnh81jut-1227066376457

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-22

Its a false narrative to state the Obama should have acted sooner. This story feeds the party line Obama offers and enables him to imply congress is at fault; Panetta's point is not a critique. The fact is, Obama has been providing considerable weapons to "moderate" rebels for some time. These weapons were funneled out of Libya (and IMO among the primary reasons to dispose of Qaddafi) and routed through Turkey. Moreover, through regional allies such as Saudi Arabia eastern European weapons were purchased by planeloads and routed to "moderate" rebels. Its an utter mess because the US has enabled this utter mess!