Russian out-in visa runs ‘same as other nationalities’ – Thai Immigration chief

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you own a condo, then you are not really a tourist.

Tourists are people who don't have residence and stay in hotels.

Actually quite a few does own condo or similar for holiday purpose only. However, not all for their own holiday purpose, many does rent out when they do not occupy the place themselves.

I know what you mean, but immigration (in their simplistic way) seem to think that tourists are people who stay in hotels, and people who don't are temporary residents.

What happens if you are a tourist but owning a condo and wnat to live in your own accomodation?

You put that address on the landing card and it's recorded.

They may however, want to make sure you have the proof of funds and outbound ticket.

In this case, wouldn't it be easier to get the appropriate visa?

30 days visa exempts are meant for short stays and not as a substitute for getting the right visa.

What appropriate visa? You are not married , at least 50 years old and your condo didn't cost more then 10 million baht. So practically if you are in this situation you are just allowed to see your property for a few months every year.

Don't come now with the 500k Elite card.

What happens if you are a tourist but owning a condo and wnat to live in your own accomodation?

Not so. A tourist can rent a place to return to regularly, as I do, which I uses as a base. From there I take my trips around the Kingdom. Sometimes I just stay there and enjoy the village and my friends. Others can use it in my absence. No rules against any of that.

you not a tourist !!!

So...

What I am reading is that hotel bookings are the only way you can travel in Thailand. I have several friends who own homes and condos. I stay with them frequently. Also, my girl has made her home available to me. Does that make me a bad tourist ? I think many people are the same...and come here to visit a relative or friend...perhaps a fiancee, for their vacation. What is all the hoopla about hotels, anyways. Also, in many other countries (USA, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc) ...many people buy vacation timeshare condominiums....or even winter bungalos/cabins. Why is this not considered?

you share 2 weeks, 1 month !!

That is tourism;

Stay, live with your girl is not tourism !!

I pay more for a Laos visa as a Canadian than American does, even though we didn't bomb the <deleted> out of them.

That is because a Canada visa also cost more to Lao than an US visa. It' called reciprocity. Nothing to do with history.

Not so. A tourist can rent a place to return to regularly, as I do, which I uses as a base. From there I take my trips around the Kingdom. Sometimes I just stay there and enjoy the village and my friends. Others can use it in my absence. No rules against any of that.

I think u must have a look at a english dictionnary;

To own and to rent don't have the same definition . cheesy.gif

so after all this banter, nothing has changed then.

its still the usual 30 days, or the 80 days if you got it through the embassy before you arrive.

people who wish to stay still enrolling in dummy education courses, using accountants and lawyers to set up dummy businesses to get work visas.

sounds like its same ole same ole ..

Hilarious.

The officials here banged their fist on the table a little while ago and shouted '"hey Russkis ! No more bending the rules, da ?"

To which the Russkis replied "But, tovaritch, don't you remember what the rule was ? The rule was that it was OK for Russkis to bend the rules!"

To which the officials replied "Niet ! You can come to Thailand 20 times in a row and stay 30 days at a time, but you must be a tourist, a t.o.u.r.i.s.t., OK ? And tourist means you CANNOT work!"

To which the Russians replied "But if you enforce that rule, then we cannot work illegally in Thailand!"

To which the officials now reply "Ok OK, mai pen rai..."

Someone's lost in translation...

• Like 2

The word tourist is really a stupid classification to be forced to adhere too. So, I have to wear floral shirts and carry a camera everywhere or I am not welcome here?? I have to go from hotel to hotel, province to province like I am on the run to be an OFFICIAL tourist? And how am I supposed to book a flight leaving Thailand at a future date that when it comes, I may not even be in Thailand because my entry was denied or an extension was denied making me loose anything I spent on a flight?? I don't work here. I should be perceived as innocent of that unless there is proof otherwise. I have funds to support myself and can prove it but for crying out loud, why do you have prove your NOT breaking the law every time you want to leave and come back? Proving a negative is a never-ending impossibility.

• Like 1

I pay more for a Laos visa as a Canadian than American does, even though we didn't bomb the <deleted> out of them.

That is because a Canada visa also cost more to Lao than an US visa. It' called reciprocity. Nothing to do with history.

Well, I can enter Lao on Visa exempt (15 days), but I doubt that a Lao citizen get a Schengen-visa for free.

It might be that Lao get a big share from our development aid program.

Edited by jethro69

So...

What I am reading is that hotel bookings are the only way you can travel in Thailand. I have several friends who own homes and condos. I stay with them frequently. Also, my girl has made her home available to me. Does that make me a bad tourist ? I think many people are the same...and come here to visit a relative or friend...perhaps a fiancee, for their vacation. What is all the hoopla about hotels, anyways. Also, in many other countries (USA, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc) ...many people buy vacation timeshare condominiums....or even winter bungalos/cabins. Why is this not considered?

you share 2 weeks, 1 month !!

That is tourism;

Stay, live with your girl is not tourism !!

Have to disagree. I have a friend from Denmark who stays with his girl for two months each year....on a tourist visa. He is not a part time resident....because he does not rent or own. Neither does he stay in a hotel.

• Like 1

Disgusting, why are Russians given preferential treatment???? I can't believe this. I'm so angry, the only Russians I have encountered anywhere in Thailand are rude, aggressive, and just generally obnoxious, they think they own the place, and now it seems, they do

What an absolute farce.

I took the advice of so many TV posters saying to stop moaning and 'get the right Visa'. So I tried.

Flew back to the UK to visit the Thai embassy and explain my situation, and ask for a 1 year multiple entry visa based on having family and finances in Thailand;

I'm under 50 but have a Thai partner, own a house together, have a baby together but not married yet. Work outside of Thailand and have enough money in a Thai bank account to survive for a few years.

This is what they told me. "You need Tourist Visa". "But I work outside Thailand and leave and enter every 45 days or so, I need a Visa that allows me to do so."

I was told I have no more rights to live in Thailand than a backbacker has, even though I have invested and I spend all of my money there. Apparently I have no legal rights over my child also if I am not married.

Obviously I can apply for the Elite card, but to now I feel like I am being shafted out of 10 grand because I have the wrong passport.

All you posters who have the correct Visa that suits your own needs then well done I am so happy for you. But don't be so frigging patronizing to people who don't have the correct Visa through no fault of their own, but due to the shambolic system that just makes up and changes the rules whenever it suits their own agendas. These decisions are causing families to suffer, tourism numbers to drop and of course giving the impression of an unorganized and very unfair system.

Thanks so much for reeling us in and then booting us out. Mission accomplished I guess.

• Like 1

Disgusting, why are Russians given preferential treatment???? I can't believe this. I'm so angry, the only Russians I have encountered anywhere in Thailand are rude, aggressive, and just generally obnoxious, they think they own the place, and now it seems, they do

The ones I meet are not particularly more obnoxious than your average Brit
  • Like 2

Well, I can enter Lao on Visa exempt (15 days), but I doubt that a Lao citizen get a Schengen-visa for free.

It might be that Lao get a big share from our development aid program.

Yes, it is not perfect reciprocity. There are exceptions, but are few. Switzerland and Luxembourg are the only ones in Schengen area.

Diplomacy. Perhaps Thailand had entered some kind of mutual understanding, with Russia. Could be financial, or tourist related.

In any case....Russia comes out a winner.

I was told I have no more rights to live in Thailand than a backbacker has, even though I have invested and I spend all of my money there. Apparently I have no legal rights over my child also if I am not married.

You need to have your child legitimized at the court. Then you will be able to obtain one year extension of stay. There are many threads and a guide on the subject.

• Like 2